Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice day at mom's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
My bro and I went to spend the day with mom today and had a great afternoon. No kids(cept us), no grandkids, and no great grandkids. Very peaceful.

On the way home, I got bit by the electrical gremlin!
This same thing happened years ago and I just can't remember what caused it. The tach became eractic, gas guage pulsed, and gen light showed very dimly. When I stepped on the brakes, the tach and gas guage, cease to work and the gen light showed full bright. I have seen a loose tach wire at the coil cause this in the past, but it was ok. I checked the fuses, and the one for the license plate light was blown. after replacement, everything worked fine. For about two miles. Fuse was ok this time.

Now, the brake lights and turn signals do not work, and the rest works as described above. With the key off, the turn signals light up but don't blink(like they're susposed to, I believe), but don't even light up with the key on.

Someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks.

Btw, here's a shot at moms house. Bro don't get his garage queen out very often. 78sc, 85,000 miles very nice car.

PS, sorry for the long post.
TheCabinetmaker
Oaky, where are our electrical guru's? Dave, Andy, anyone? confused24.gif
Bruce Allert
Hey Curt, sorry you got a gremlin! From the symptoms it sounds like what you checked would be it. Usually the #9 fuse IS the culprit (looking from left to right or 4th from the right). Try wiggling the fuse to see if the connection is bad. Try doing that while it's running.
You might also have a bad tach or the tach is shorting.
Wished I could be more help cool_shades.gif

...good luck

.......b
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Bruce. The Gremlin is dead! I got up this morning and looked again with good light and a clearer head. The first owner wired a third brakelight from the harness at the tail light. mad.gif This wire had came loose and was laying against the body under the harness bundle. Sure enough, fuse 9 was blown. It looked good till I took it out. PO wiring comes out today. sawzall-smiley.gif Damn ceramic fuses suck! I'll be calling James Adams. Been wanting to do that upgrade anyway.
Bruce Allert
YAAAAAAAAAAAAA clap56.gif

beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

Good job sleuthing Curt!

.........b
TheCabinetmaker
Well, that goddamn gremlin is back. fighting19.gif Definitely have a short in the turn signal/brake system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.