Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> crimp electrical connectors
ruddyboys
post May 11 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #1

Hummel eigentümer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

I bought some crimp on electrical conectors from my FLAPS. First when they are installed they look like crap. Second if I pull them apart from say a male spade the most likely fall off. I thought about soldering them but to pull a soldering gun out to the car or under it sucks. are there any better types. Also I have to replace some wires, can get solid colors to match, what can I use to make the stripes that will last so the wires match the wirind diagram for future owners.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lmcchesney
post May 11 2004, 06:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,381
Region Association: None

Ruddyboys, PM Jeff Blowsby for the best advice. He manufactures new wiring harnesses for the 914. Otherwise, go to the local box hardware store and look at their electrical supply. You can color match the connectors with an assortment of Sharpies. Pick up some dielectric grease to protect the connections. Also look for liquid electrical tape. Very helpful in the connections prone to water exposure.
L. McC
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post May 11 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Try these people. They have any type of automotive connectors you need. I've used some of the new weather pack connectors on my 914.

http://www.waytekwire.com/

Bob
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 11 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The trick with crimp connectors is you need to use uninsulated connectors and a proper crimp tool. You insulate the connector (if necessary) after crimping with heatshrink. This is much more time consuming, but if done correctly, the connection will last a long time. A proper crimp tool has a heart shaped die and folds the two "wings" of the connector over so they both point "into" the wire. There should also be a second set of "wings" that grip the insulation on the wire. If the connectors you got have the little bit of insulation on the end and are crimped with a tool with an oval die, then yes, they're crap. Quick to use, but don't expect much service life, esp. in a part that will vibrate substantially.

One place I know of to get spade and ring crimp connectors, a decent tool, and wire that comes in various colors including tracer wire is www.britishwiring.com. As they name suggests, they mostly cater to the Lucas crowd, but the connectors are universal and they MAY have wire in the correct colors. I have yet to find another small-order source that has this variety of wire colors and sizes.

For multi-pin connectors, the GM Weatherpak line is one of the better ones available in small-order quantities. The best deal I've found so far is www.speedwaymotors.com.
+Quote Post
bob174
post May 11 2004, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 122

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Main thing is a good crimp tool. You should be able to yank pretty hard on the wire without pulling off the connector.
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post May 11 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #6

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

Thanks for the replys, I do have the oval crimper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Slowpoke
post May 11 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 768

Get a hold of British Wiring (708 481 9050). Have a list of the color wire you need with the color strip you want. Also count the number of strands in the wire. This is important for each wire. They sell wire by the meter. While you have them on the phone, also order the spade crimp on connectors and get the clear soft plastic insulators that go over the connectors. No reason you can't have a factory correct repair. They get wire in every week from EC, so I never have waited more than a week for anything I've needed from them. Don't let on you are working a German car though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
RAR
post May 11 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,598

http://www.posi-lock.com/index.html
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 11 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

get a used harness from a donor car. that way you get lots more correct colored wire than you could ever possibly use to repair yours.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
F4i
post May 11 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #10

914 DOG!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,460

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Thats a good idea!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:14 PM