Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: crimp electrical connectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I bought some crimp on electrical conectors from my FLAPS. First when they are installed they look like crap. Second if I pull them apart from say a male spade the most likely fall off. I thought about soldering them but to pull a soldering gun out to the car or under it sucks. are there any better types. Also I have to replace some wires, can get solid colors to match, what can I use to make the stripes that will last so the wires match the wirind diagram for future owners.
lmcchesney
Ruddyboys, PM Jeff Blowsby for the best advice. He manufactures new wiring harnesses for the 914. Otherwise, go to the local box hardware store and look at their electrical supply. You can color match the connectors with an assortment of Sharpies. Pick up some dielectric grease to protect the connections. Also look for liquid electrical tape. Very helpful in the connections prone to water exposure.
L. McC
BIGKAT_83
Try these people. They have any type of automotive connectors you need. I've used some of the new weather pack connectors on my 914.

http://www.waytekwire.com/

Bob
lapuwali
The trick with crimp connectors is you need to use uninsulated connectors and a proper crimp tool. You insulate the connector (if necessary) after crimping with heatshrink. This is much more time consuming, but if done correctly, the connection will last a long time. A proper crimp tool has a heart shaped die and folds the two "wings" of the connector over so they both point "into" the wire. There should also be a second set of "wings" that grip the insulation on the wire. If the connectors you got have the little bit of insulation on the end and are crimped with a tool with an oval die, then yes, they're crap. Quick to use, but don't expect much service life, esp. in a part that will vibrate substantially.

One place I know of to get spade and ring crimp connectors, a decent tool, and wire that comes in various colors including tracer wire is www.britishwiring.com. As they name suggests, they mostly cater to the Lucas crowd, but the connectors are universal and they MAY have wire in the correct colors. I have yet to find another small-order source that has this variety of wire colors and sizes.

For multi-pin connectors, the GM Weatherpak line is one of the better ones available in small-order quantities. The best deal I've found so far is www.speedwaymotors.com.
bob174
agree.gif Main thing is a good crimp tool. You should be able to yank pretty hard on the wire without pulling off the connector.
ruddyboys
Thanks for the replys, I do have the oval crimper pray.gif
Slowpoke
Get a hold of British Wiring (708 481 9050). Have a list of the color wire you need with the color strip you want. Also count the number of strands in the wire. This is important for each wire. They sell wire by the meter. While you have them on the phone, also order the spade crimp on connectors and get the clear soft plastic insulators that go over the connectors. No reason you can't have a factory correct repair. They get wire in every week from EC, so I never have waited more than a week for anything I've needed from them. Don't let on you are working a German car though! cool.gif
RAR
http://www.posi-lock.com/index.html
SirAndy
get a used harness from a donor car. that way you get lots more correct colored wire than you could ever possibly use to repair yours.

wink.gif Andy
F4i
agree.gif Thats a good idea!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.