Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clutch ?, You got some splainin to do
Rocky
post May 12 2004, 07:26 AM
Post #1

From the cockpit

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,845

While performing my favorite pastime of sleeping under my teener, I looked deeper into my clutch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Is the throwout bearing always in contact with the preassure plate?? It appears it must be given there is always a certain amount of cable tension.

Just a thought... and does it put undue wear on the throwout bearing?

Tim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 12 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Tim

Mine sure seems to be. The fork appears to hold the throw out bearing against the springs on the pressure plate. There doesn't appear to be any way around this so it must be the way it was designed.

Last thing I have to do to get mine on the road again after the weekend marathon is adjust the clutch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

All that's left to do before leaving for WCC is change the oil and filter and plugs then clean up and pack.

Dave
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post May 12 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #3

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It will make contact, but that is why you should have free play (aprox 1/2 inch as I recall) at the top of the clutch pedal. As long as the cable isn't "preloaded" so that it is putting any real tension on the fork before you step on the pedal, any wear on the bearing is minmal and unavoidable.

Or, Reader's Digest Version: As long as yo' cable adjusted right, ain't no thang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 12 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The "helper" spring in the pedal cluster keeps a little bit of tension on the cable, so the throwout bearing does always contact the fingers of the clutch diaphragm spring. Far as I can tell, that's to make sure the cable does not develop enough slack to jump off of the roller back on the transmission.

The "free play" in the clutch pedal is generally measured by pulling up on the pedal.

--DD
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post May 12 2004, 09:57 AM
Post #5

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 12 2004, 09:48 AM)
The "free play" in the clutch pedal is generally measured by pulling up on the pedal.

--DD

And that is why I will never be more than a fool with a teeny bit of dangerous knowledge, a giant shop and a lot of really cool tools. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Dave on the other hand, "Da Man".
+Quote Post
Rocky
post May 12 2004, 01:31 PM
Post #6

From the cockpit

Member No.: 1,845

Much appreciated gentlemen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Ive had many other vehicles and the throwout bearing never engages the pressure plate until pedal pressure is applied.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Tim
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 08:58 AM