Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rocky
While performing my favorite pastime of sleeping under my teener, I looked deeper into my clutch. ph34r.gif

Is the throwout bearing always in contact with the preassure plate?? It appears it must be given there is always a certain amount of cable tension.

Just a thought... and does it put undue wear on the throwout bearing?

Tim
DNHunt
Tim

Mine sure seems to be. The fork appears to hold the throw out bearing against the springs on the pressure plate. There doesn't appear to be any way around this so it must be the way it was designed.

Last thing I have to do to get mine on the road again after the weekend marathon is adjust the clutch. clap56.gif

All that's left to do before leaving for WCC is change the oil and filter and plugs then clean up and pack.

Dave
aircooledboy
It will make contact, but that is why you should have free play (aprox 1/2 inch as I recall) at the top of the clutch pedal. As long as the cable isn't "preloaded" so that it is putting any real tension on the fork before you step on the pedal, any wear on the bearing is minmal and unavoidable.

Or, Reader's Digest Version: As long as yo' cable adjusted right, ain't no thang. cool.gif
Dave_Darling
The "helper" spring in the pedal cluster keeps a little bit of tension on the cable, so the throwout bearing does always contact the fingers of the clutch diaphragm spring. Far as I can tell, that's to make sure the cable does not develop enough slack to jump off of the roller back on the transmission.

The "free play" in the clutch pedal is generally measured by pulling up on the pedal.

--DD
aircooledboy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 12 2004, 09:48 AM)
The "free play" in the clutch pedal is generally measured by pulling up on the pedal.

--DD

And that is why I will never be more than a fool with a teeny bit of dangerous knowledge, a giant shop and a lot of really cool tools. wacko.gif

Dave on the other hand, "Da Man".
Rocky
Much appreciated gentlemen. beerchug.gif Ive had many other vehicles and the throwout bearing never engages the pressure plate until pedal pressure is applied.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Tim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.