Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Shocks, Please tell me if I've got this right
HarveyH
post May 12 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 843

I'd like to do this only once so: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Replacing KYB's with Bil's, not changing springs (100 Lb, about 12 years (15-20K miles) old). As I visualize the setup for the rear, If I keep the distance from the lower spring perch to the lower mounting bushing the same, the rear ride height will stay the same as before, though possibly a bit higher because of the apparently higher pressure in the Bil's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks,
Harvey Hoover
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 12 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

sounds like you've got it right, but I wouldn't expect it to be much (if any) higher.
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post May 12 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #3

914 addicted

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,246

I love the mystique surrounding springs. The first job I ever had at 17 years old was making springs. Automotive coil springs are designed with stress limits appropriate for the deflections involved. You will not get "fade" over time with these springs. They may fail in catastrophic mode, IE: BREAK, but they are not likely to fade over time. So don't spend money for springs that are of the same rate as your existing springs unless they are BROKEN. Shocks will wear and their performance will degrade over time, but springs either resist deflection with a predictable load or they break.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:32 AM