Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 009 or 050, better of the bad
tat2dphreak
post May 14 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #1

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

which is better? I know the Mallory is better than both of them, but I have 3(now 009s) and a good line on a 050... so which one on my 2056 with dual 40idfs?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rouser
post May 14 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Anti-Post Whore

Member No.: 54

I would go with the 050 with a Pertronix breakerless module; it's what I've been running for the past 4 years.

But that's just me; heck, what do I know.
+Quote Post
skline
post May 14 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Last time I said something about this subject, I got reamed by Jake for suggesting the 050. The 050 is now hard to get from what I hear as they are not making them anymore. It is by far better than the 009 for the type 4. The pertronix would be a plus. They say the 050 is better suited for the type 4 with carbs. That is what I run on mine or should I say, ran on mine. Never had any problems with it.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 14 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

yes, I have a compufire to put on the dizzy(either one) I know Jake hates both... but it's all about the bang for buck... and I don't have many $s to buy a mallory yet... I'll get one in the future, probably... but not right now...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 14 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I don't hate either one... BUT after you buy the dizzy and then the breakerless conversion you are wel on the way to the Mallory that is 5000% better!
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 14 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

The 009 will WORK, but you have to have the static timing retarded quite a bit to prevent too much advance (pinging) at light throttle, and you end up with not enough at larger throttle openings (no power). Gas mileage sucks, too. At best, it's a stop-gap until you can get something better. On a 2056, you'd be throwing away a lot of the extra power you paid for. I have an 009 on a carb'd 1.7 waiting for the Mallory backlog to clear.

If you have an EFI dizzy lying around, you can use that with the vacuum ports plugged, or add the vac ports to your IDFs (later ones had them drilled, early one's you'll have to modify).

With the sucky mileage and $2.50 gas, the Mallory would pay for itself pretty quick...
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 14 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Which Mallory?
+Quote Post
MXMARK
post May 14 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,656

4554101 NON VACUUM Jake like this one.

4754101 VACUUM

I just bought a set of 45 drla's to replace my 44idfs just so I could have a port for the 4754101 Mallory vacuum distributor. I may have to drill a port in the other carb to get the right signal. I just want to toss the 009 off of my 2533cc motor.
Mark
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 14 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #9

stoya, stoya, stoya

I didn't seek out to buy a 009, I inheirited 3 though... I had some credit at CBperformance since some parts were backordered, so I had them ship me the compufire instead of having an infinite backorder... I haven't installed the compufire yet though...

I can get an 050 from a friend who has an extra for $50...

Jake, which did better, between these 2, on the dyno tests?... and which will keep my engine stable longer? (more important) it's sounding like the 050 would be the better choice... I can probably sell 2 009s to make the dough back... I DO plan to go Mallory eventually, but there's a big difference between shelling out $50 and shelling out $265 right now... esp for a street only car that will not be a daily driver and isn't even off jackstands yet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I don't think I want a vac. advance dizzy, I've heard from several people that unless you are running a wilder cam you won't get much extra from it, besides trouble... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
my 1.7 ran a 009... but that doesn't say much, now does it?
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 15 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #10

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

the 050 is preferred over the 009 if I remember correctly. I got abused when I bought my 009.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 15 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The results of direct dyno test we did on "project fourthcomings" are in an issue of VW Trends from last year. In this article we dynoed a 2.0 with a few mods with a 009, 050,stock dizzy and a Mallory.. The results are black and white and even have the fuel plots to illustrate the efficiency.

I will have Kathy scan them on monday and I'll put them in a post here...
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post May 15 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #12

I break stuff...

Member No.: 737
Region Association: None

well I drove my carbed 2056 last night and it has a 009....and I dont give a flying fuck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
:finger2:
+Quote Post
morph
post May 15 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #13

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

ok here is a brain tease what are the suttle diffrence between the 009 and the 050.and why do people recomend the 050?(usally)
+Quote Post
914ghost
post May 15 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #14

BOB

Member No.: 1,387

Differences aren't too subtle and you don't need a Dyno to see the difference in a 009 and an 050.
I removed my 050 a while ago to get parts (thought it was all thesame as 009 parts) but the local Foreign Auto didnt have'm.
So I put a 009 I had in it's place while I ordered the right stuff.
BLEAH!! Thats what the engine said. Literally.
pretty crappy all around- and NOTICABLE. Even on a 1.8 Dual 40 Dell'd engine.
It sucked ass. So I threw in an OLD Bosch 010, you know the old school VW Bus dizzy all the tuners used to use. Worked well. Better than the 009.
The curve was a bit "low" I think. Got the parts for the 050 and shoved it back in.
Back in business, SMOOTH power- that DIDNT flatten out at 3300. I think I had to set the 009 at like 11 oor 12 degrees BTDC (static) to even get the car to drive up a hill.
Of course, you get what you pay for, unless you steal it. So, 050 will work, 009 will also (in a BUG).
I'm sure the Mallory is better, but if I could afford that I'd be rebuilding the 2.7 in my Garage instead of getting rid of it.
-Bob O

Oh, the difference would be the weights and springs (thus totally different advance and curve), and the center shaft the rotor sits on the Cap and rotor are different also. The 050 Has 2 springs, the 009 USUALLY has 1. The brazillian 009 has 2 springs mistakenly installed sometimes. You have to remove one or you get 14 degrees of advance at like 8300 RPM.
Points and condensor (if you have'm- I don't) are the same.
+Quote Post
morph
post May 15 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #15

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

bravo.the big diffrence is the # three lobe the 009 has a slight retard .On the # three in the 050 is the same as the other lobes.most of these dist, where designed for type 1 volkswagen motors and where made to compinsate for there problems.from what ive been told the 050 was made uniform for claude buggies and to complament dual carbs.ive never checked if this was true but ive been told that by three good sources.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 09:57 AM