Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car died on the way to work(weeks ago), ARG!@#$!@, UPDATE:got it running!!-put in hotspark and new coil
DRPHIL914
post May 18 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #21

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 17 2011, 04:32 PM) *

D-Jet has some of the worst electrical plug/connectors there is on a vibrating engine. Once the little rubber boots dry up, they literally vibrate and fall out.

Check the plug for the FI trigger points at the dist. It may have come loose.

As others have mentioned, pull the trigger points and replace them, not cheap, but they do wear and cause issues in pairs of cylinders.

Thanks for the suggestions- plug is good, - I have seen your thread from the L-jet installation on yours, and saw you made some changes with dizzy etc. How long do the injector trigger points last, because i took an look, they look new, i put them in 18 months ago and they only have about 4000miles on them, seems they should be still good- yes they are expensive-compared to the other t.p.'s.

- i took the distributor out, changed out the points and the vacuum advance, rotor, etc, still no change,- just got the condensor so tonight i will switch that out as well. but anyway neither the points or the t.p. points seem to have any wear or corrosion at all.

-also going to replace the fuel filter tonight as well,

-How do you like the petronix?- i have one but have not put it in, - wanted to try to figure out what the problem is first, then give that a shot.

FYI- last year i put all new injectors, MPS, wires, points, plugs, fuel lines, vacuum, etc. - and 2 weeks ago running and idle great having just had valves set and full tune up and timing,dwell etc right on- 34 mpg on last 2 tanks(driving to work- 45-mph some stops) so thats why it seems so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

-also tested the CHT - is not the problem
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 18 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #22

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Trigger points are reliable. I have never had a problem with them.

Points replacement modules, Petronix, Comufire, etc work really well if they have solved the problem of burnout when the key is left on with the engine not running.

Did you ever change your High Tension wires (spark plug wires)?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 18 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #23

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 18 2011, 12:38 PM) *

Trigger points are reliable. I have never had a problem with them.

Points replacement modules, Petronix, Comufire, etc work really well if they have solved the problem of burnout when the key is left on with the engine not running.

Did you ever change your High Tension wires (spark plug wires)?

Yes, also changed those in the last year@2000 miles ago.
+Quote Post
NC_Colfax
post May 18 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 11,982

I have little experince with the Porsche FI but I had Webbers on my 2.0 and wished I had FI the whole time. Carbs on a race/track/autocross car cool. DD/Street not as well.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 23 2011, 07:22 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 18 2011, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 17 2011, 04:32 PM) *

D-Jet has some of the worst electrical plug/connectors there is on a vibrating engine. Once the little rubber boots dry up, they literally vibrate and fall out.

Check the plug for the FI trigger points at the dist. It may have come loose.

As others have mentioned, pull the trigger points and replace them, not cheap, but they do wear and cause issues in pairs of cylinders.

Thanks for the suggestions- plug is good, - I have seen your thread from the L-jet installation on yours, and saw you made some changes with dizzy etc. How long do the injector trigger points last, because i took an look, they look new, i put them in 18 months ago and they only have about 4000miles on them, seems they should be still good- yes they are expensive-compared to the other t.p.'s.

- i took the distributor out, changed out the points and the vacuum advance, rotor, etc, still no change,- just got the condensor so tonight i will switch that out as well. but anyway neither the points or the t.p. points seem to have any wear or corrosion at all.

-also going to replace the fuel filter tonight as well,

-How do you like the petronix?- i have one but have not put it in, - wanted to try to figure out what the problem is first, then give that a shot.

FYI- last year i put all new injectors, MPS, wires, points, plugs, fuel lines, vacuum, etc. - and 2 weeks ago running and idle great having just had valves set and full tune up and timing,dwell etc right on- 34 mpg on last 2 tanks(driving to work- 45-mph some stops) so thats why it seems so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

-also tested the CHT - is not the problem

**UPDATE**- Running!- and here's what it was.---(drum rollxxxxxx)

Points and coil- not fi points,

Initially i installed the in-line fuel pressure gauge and new regulator- because i had one and needed to know if pressure was set correctly, - blew out some lines, put some fuel tx in tank etc new filter-- still did not run.

-changed out the plug wires, pulled the plugs, checked, gapped etc. -
- had pulled distributor, cleaned and reset points, changed the condensor, still no go.
-i had ordered an electronic module(hotspark) and the matching proper ohm coil
so when that came i installed and wired the module with the new coil, and ---

immediately started- so it was electronic not fuel,

runs very smooth right now, but was not able to dial in the timing as of yet, and i'm not sure i have the hoses all hooked up correctly right now.-(vacuum advance and retard). idling at 1400, if i go lower, it surges - i had that problem before and did not get it set until we did the valves and then timing,then the surge went away and had perfect idle speed)
so i know i have to set it at 3500rpm but could not get timed right for some reason- moving the distributor would not get it lined up at that RPM- yes hoses were disconnected at the time.

recheck valves? what else?- timing mark is correct

any suggestions on that? otherwise very close and atleast it is running, will see how long the hotspark lasts.

phil

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 12:25 AM