Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front anti-sway, Best for performance and best bang for your buck...
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 30 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just curious what the opinions are on the different bars out there. I have used and liked the Tarret bar but there are many other bars out there. Smart bar looks really nice as well. What are your thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post Apr 30 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,687

I have had good luck with weltmeister swaybars from Automotion. Simple and they were about $300 for a full kit the last time I bought one. I've used their 19mm solid front bar and their 21mm solid front bar.

Be sure and call and mention you are a PCA member and they will give you around %10 off.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 30 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Smart Racing Products swaybars are probably still the best of breed, but are spendy, around double the Weltmeister. I heard a rumor recently that they may be getting out of the swaybar biz or perhaps already did.

Tarret stuff is also very nice and the price point is in between Welt & SRP.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 1 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 30 2011, 08:37 PM) *

Smart Racing Products swaybars are probably still the best of breed, but are spendy, around double the Weltmeister. I heard a rumor recently that they may be getting out of the swaybar biz or perhaps already did.

Tarret stuff is also very nice and the price point is in between Welt & SRP.

The Smart Racing sway bar is a nice unit, but one needs to figure out which level of sway bar to install, depending upon autoxing or track.

In my car the heaver bar was way to heavy and the understeer issue wasn't helped until we put in a 23mm.

Of course I have to say that even the 23mm might not be correct with the new differential installed in the 901. Just have to test it and see.

Changes, changes, changes....
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 1 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #5

It is my understanding the a good bar for an AX 914 really isn't that big. I had my Tarret close to full soft and it still felt a bit much at times. However, this is one of the areas of the better bars. You have that ease of adjustability.

I will need to purchase a new bar in the next year while I build my G prepared 914 and may use my current 914 for some testing. I only want to spend the money once so this is why all inout and advice is very welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .

I want every advantage if I am going to build and take this car to Nationals.
+Quote Post
jjackson
post May 1 2011, 08:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,246
Region Association: None

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 1 2011, 02:45 PM) *

It is my understanding the a good bar for an AX 914 really isn't that big. I had my Tarret close to full soft and it still felt a bit much at times. However, this is one of the areas of the better bars. You have that ease of adjustability.

I will need to purchase a new bar in the next year while I build my G prepared 914 and may use my current 914 for some testing. I only want to spend the money once so this is why all inout and advice is very welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .

I want every advantage if I am going to build and take this car to Nationals.

We have run a 22 weltmeister for years.(ran 19 for 3 or 4 years back in the early 90s)With current setup- we run it about one inch in from full loose on the tight twisties - and run it slightly over 2 inches from full loose on grippy fast concrete.
BTW-Was told by Fordahl that Weltmeister was absolute junk.I'm pretty sure they were running a TRG bar (23). Everytime I looked at their car it was set up towards the loose end of adjustment.Upgrade to TRG has been on the "want" list, but never got that far.We did test without a front bar-Tested from 200 coilovers on front all the way to 700s -in 50 lb increments.Conclusion-our cars have to have a front sway bar due to our poor roll center.How heavy will your car be in GP? JJackson
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 1 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #7

Car will be 1800lbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) TRG? How would that compare to the SRP? So a 23mm hollow bar could be near perfect for what I want?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 1 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #8

Thinking I like the look of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jjackson
post May 1 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 1 2011, 09:33 PM) *

Car will be 1800lbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) TRG? How would that compare to the SRP? So a 23mm hollow bar could be near perfect for what I want?

Really don't have a comparison between the two.Both high end bars.Personnaly I' ve never had any luck communicating with anybody at Smart Racing-Lowly 914 and a redneck to boot-1800 lb teener sounds like a whole lot of fun.We've been running a 1900 lb car for over 10 years now.Look forward to seeing ya at nationals.
BTW-I know a lot of 19mm bar owners disagree.They need to show up at nationals also.22 solid or 23 hollow is our choice.
JJackson

(still cleaning the drool out of my keyboard from your lid pix)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 1 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #10

I'm likely not even keeping those lids (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) They are too nice and actually something that should go on a GT.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking that TRG looks very nice. I like the Tarret I posted a picture of. Then of course there is Jonathan's bar at GPR I believe to be a 23mm Tarret made bar with GPR on it. I always like buying from GPR when I have the chance. Jonathan and Eric (PMB) are my two favorite vendors. Though with my 6 I gave plenty of money to everyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

If all goes as planned you will see me in 2012 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jjackson
post May 1 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 1 2011, 10:03 PM) *

I'm likely not even keeping those lids (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) They are too nice and actually something that should go on a GT.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking that TRG looks very nice. I like the Tarret I posted a picture of. Then of course there is Jonathan's bar at GPR I believe to be a 23mm Tarret made bar with GPR on it. I always like buying from GPR when I have the chance. Jonathan and Eric (PMB) are my two favorite vendors. Though with my 6 I gave plenty of money to everyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

If all goes as planned you will see me in 2012 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I don't have any experience with the Tarret bar.Running their front monoballs with no issues.Price is right.JJackson
Hope everything goes as planned!
+Quote Post
brant
post May 2 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have run 22-welts in 3 different cars.
it was a big step up to the Smart 27mm bar

this picture was taken the first day of running the new bar:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 2 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #13

Brant,

I know our styles are different but I am sure you understand the concept. For an 1800 lb AX car, if it were you, would you purchase a hollow bar with the effective rate of 19mm 22mm or higher?

+Quote Post
brant
post May 2 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 2 2011, 11:11 PM) *

Brant,

I know our styles are different but I am sure you understand the concept. For an 1800 lb AX car, if it were you, would you purchase a hollow bar with the effective rate of 19mm 22mm or higher?

I'd actually defer to JP or Randal (or someone for an Autox only car)
my experience is really on the track and I like the 27 over the 22.
but I'm not sure that translates to an autox venue exactly.

the pricey bars are more easily adjustable.... but you can do things to a welt to really tune them in if you want to save a few dollars. I drilled zerks into my welt bushings and kep the bushings greased. Plus during install you can fine tune the install to get the bushings absolutely free.
(you need to install the bar alone, and be able to rotate it without drag... if there is any drag from the two bushings then bend the sheetmetal to align the sides better and reduce the drag.)

sorry I'm not sure of the best size for autox only... if also on the track I'd go 22minimum depending on budget

brant
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 2 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #15

I am rather good at installing the bars to have near 0 drag. Spent hours getting my old bar near perfect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

My budget on this bar is fairly high since I am closing on another sale this year. This one makes three this year and I have two more possible clients coming up. Real estate money is now play money since I have my newish job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 3 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #16

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I think you have to look at the entire setup to determine size bar that will work best. What have you planned for spring rates, use rear bar, what kind of dampers, what size/weight wheels front and rear, what size/type/compound are you using. What kind of differntial? What is your target weight distribution front to rear with driver?

Honestly I have seen few well setup national level AX cars. When I had mine I was focused on budget all around local car. Now that I have had more time with Boxster and a few other AX cars I have some ideas for 914s but it really depends on direction you go with the car in terms of overall setup for the class. I wouldnt build the car from the swaybar however.

The more I look at it a GP car might be real fun to build and actually be competitive

This post has been edited by grantsfo: May 3 2011, 09:19 AM
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 3 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 3 2011, 08:17 AM) *

The more I look at it a GP car might be real fun to build and actually be competitive

That's why I'm doing it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 4 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #18

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

A 22mm (or effective) front AR bar is all you need. I ran one at around half hard.....which is not a bad target to shoot for.

IMO, a competitive GP car needs all the stuff that an FP or XP car runs.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 4 2011, 09:48 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 4 2011, 08:13 AM) *

IMO, a competitive GP car needs all the stuff that an FP or XP car runs.

That's what I'm thinking too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post May 8 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #20

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

At least the tarrett bar pictured has the rod end mounted in double shear.
I hate designs where the rod end attaches to the side of the arm.
I make a 32mm hollow bar setup with an effective rate even higher than the 27mm Smart bar.
The best size bar for a particular application is totally dependent on the rest of the suspension setup, in addition to engine torque, LSD, etc.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 03:33 AM