Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress, The 2011 Hershey show gave me another shot of motivation
Porschef
post Oct 26 2013, 09:06 AM
Post #461

How you doin'

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Bob,

If the cable pulls just a little on the flapper you'll get heat. That's fine now but not so much in July. If you run out of adjustment with the cable, you can rotate the whole flapper a bit to get that little extra slack to ensure it's closing entirely.

Looks great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Oct 26 2013, 01:30 PM
Post #462

OllieG

Member No.: 13,282
Region Association: England

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Fantastic stuff!..wish I could go for a drive. Post some pics of the finished article. Nice one Bob!
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 12 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #463

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I was still having starter issues, ordered a new Hi Torque starter from ebay...hadn't come in yet so I ran a remote starter switch into the car. Changed the oil & adjusted the valves. Noticed some carbon in the oil sump. Hoping it's just the oil poured into the cylinders while in storage burning off. Tested the oil temp wiring & sensor and found the sensor to be bad. Bought new tires. After reading past recommendations from the world, I went with 195/65R 15's all around.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 12 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #464

The only logical thing to do after spending four years and thousands of dollars on your car is to take it on a 1380 mile road trip to meet friends from Florida & Connecticut that includes a drive on the tail of the dragon. Packed up the car & hit the road. Hit light snow on my way home.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Drove the blue ridge parkway & went to Clingman's Dome.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 12 2013, 08:17 PM
Post #465

Tail of the Dragon was awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) The plan was to take it easy, but I couldn't. I locked up a rear wheel while braking hard in a corner. I toned it down a notch after that, but still hit it hard. The car performed well, and probably would have done better with a more experienced driver. Saw one cop, parked at a photography area with a food stand. Saw some amazing cars on Saturday too. Took some video & a few pics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZdX51XjSNE

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 12 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #466

The trip wasn't perfect, but I got there & back.

- The remote starter switch stopped working at my first stop on the way to North Carolina (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . Parked on hills the rest of the way there. We stopped to get our bearings on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I wasn't in a place where I could push-start the car, so I left it running. Between driving up mountains & idling for a long time, it stopped running on it's own. We tried push starting it on the parkway but it wouldn't fire & had traffic stopped in both directions at one point pushing it out of tall grass and turning around to get downhill. Let it cool for an hour, then tried again. Car started and ran fine. I will be relocating my fuel pump under the tank this winter. I was sitting in the car when I heard the fuel pump start to whine & lock up. Not having an operational starter compounded the problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

- My clutch slipped pretty bad when pulling on to the tail of the dragon the second time and it didn't engage until very late in the pedal release. I was out of adjustment on the cable end, so I put a 3/8 socket under the adjustment nut as a temporary fix. I think there is something wrong.

- When I slithered under the car to check how hot the fuel pump was, I saw a bunch of oil on the heater plumbing. I put 4Qts of oil in before I left home when I changed the oil. Never added any. Dipstick showed full on a completely cold motor before I left Tennessee.

- Odometer stopped working. Fixed before. May add some epoxy to the drive gear this time.

- Every once in a while the car bucks at highway speed.

- I still have a "hunt" at idle. Car rarely stalls, but sounds like it wants to with the stock ECU set to full rich.

Once the car was running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) it ran really well...great trip overall!
+Quote Post
cwpeden
post Nov 12 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #467

Great White North, huh?

Member No.: 6,693
Region Association: Canada

"buck at highway speed": throttle position sensor.

+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Nov 12 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #468

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

Now pack it up again and head down to the Tropical Ramble in Florida. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 12 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #469

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 12 2013, 11:35 PM) *

Now pack it up again and head down to the Tropical Ramble in Florida. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Need to iron out a few glitches first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 14 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #470

Backed on to ramps and climbed underneath the car today. I dumped about 3/4 qt of oil on the road trip. I don't think its burning much either. However, the engine got hot enough that the fuel pump vapor-locked in the mountains on the trip. It is worse on the passenger side. I have oil from the top of the firewall pad to the rear valence. I may have more than one leak, but most it is around the oil filter area. Oil cooler seals? Additionally, the seal around the inner CV joint on the transmission is leaking gear oil.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 27 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #471

My car regularly had a gas smell in the cabin. After doing some research on 914 world, I bought 5 lbs of activated charcoal pellets from an ebay vendor and replaced the charcoal in the canister. Bought a scale. If anyone else is going through this, you will need 1.708 lbs of activated charcoal for the job (milk jug tare factored in). It was a pretty easy task...gas smell gone:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 27 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #472

Thanks to 914 world, my oil leak appears to be fixed. It was the pressure sensor. Installed a new one from Pelican. Got a break in the weather so I could pull the car out and use some FLAPS degreaser in the driveway to get rid of the oil that leaked out from the old one:

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 27 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #473

The upholstery was coming loose on the headrest of my drivers seat. The snag was that the material wasn't long enough to just re-glue it to the foam as it left white fiberglass from the seat exposed. Removed the panel screws on the back and noticed 2 screws in the area. Re-glued the panel with 3M adhesive, then used a pick to poke holes in the covering, ran five runs of string down to the screws and buttoned it back up. Anyone not reading this thread would be none the wiser:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 27 2013, 10:39 PM
Post #474

Miscellaneous car pics:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 27 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #475

Took another shot at the clutch adjustment. After warming the engine up, I am able to burn rubber in 1st gear. I had the clutch adjusted to tight.
+Quote Post
Rleog
post Dec 28 2013, 03:52 AM
Post #476

Member No.: 1,239
Region Association: North East States

Great progress. Keep us posted.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 3 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #477

My transmission was leaking at the output shaft seals. Jacked up a side at a time and went to work, using the Haynes Manual as a reference. Even with two electric heaters running in my one car garage it was chilly, but bearable. Needed to drain the transmission fluid, so I reached in the toolbox and used a tool my Dad ground down from hex stock in 1987 so we could check the tranny fluid in my 69 Karmann Ghia...ahh, the nostalgia! One side is done...should be able to finish up tomorrow. Took a measurement with a dial caliper of how far the seal was inset in the flange and came up with .230." Didn't disconnect anything extra to do the job. Contorted my arms and fingers above the heat exchangers to drive the new seals in with a block of wood and re safety wire everything up. Running safety wire with only one set of holes just plain sucks, so I shipped a set of bolts off to my brother who has a drill press to be cross-drilled for the next time:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jan 11 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #478

Got my new VDO oil temp gauge & sender from Pelican. Drained the oil, removed the taco plate & installed the new sender. Research on 914world showed that the new gauge is slightly smaller in diameter, so I bought the black trim ring as well. I liked the plastic mounting "nut" that came with the kit, so I rolled to Home Depot to find something that would allow it to tighten the gauge in place. I bought some type of PVC union and trimmed a little bit off the inside diameter with a Dremel too. It worked well and I am happy with the install:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
turk22
post Jan 11 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #479

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Install looks great Bob, very imaginative.

Wish I could get the motivation to get into the garage, but its been cold and wet here.
+Quote Post
type47
post Jan 11 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #480

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image
CHT on R, oil pressure on L
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 02:37 AM