Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
saigon71
I have now attended the Hershey Porsche show three times without an operational teener...NOT being part of the caravan is getting old. mad.gif

Finally got my new inner long welded in with doubler plates on all seams. Verified the incline of the new long with an incline gauge (with the car level) following Jeff Hails build thread. Door operates well! Entire inner long has been coated with rust encapsulator.

Still have a long way to go but I am hoping that this was the toughest part.

Thanks to Scotty B, Jeff Hail, and everyone else who has posted a build thread on this topic. I have read all of them & learned a lot. beerchug.gif

Bob

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
That looks real good Bob!
cheer.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 2 2011, 10:17 PM) *

That looks real good Bob!
cheer.gif

Thanks Chris...I need to stay away from drunken cupcake display bets to preserve my bankroll and get this done! biggrin.gif
mrgjones
That long is a thing of beauty. Good job
AndyB
Looking good Bob. Keep up the momentum. Remember only 11 months left until Hershey 2012
hot_shoe914
Looking good Bob, stay focused and keep up the good work!
rallysport70
Bob, I agree, your work looks great pray.gif . Keep it up. I have not made the trip to Hershey, but plan to in the future. I've mostly been lurking here the last year or two. I am hoping I may have my car roadworthy by next year as well. I have 2 boys in college, so even though I have time, my budget is the limiting factor.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 2 2011, 10:42 PM) *

...I need to stay away from drunken cupcake display bets to preserve my bankroll and get this done! biggrin.gif

av-943.gif
drunk.gif Gambling on Food Network programming while intoxicated...hmmm...sounds like you have a serious problem. happy11.gif
av-943.gif
scotty b
Nice job Bob, ya hob nob snob:) first.gif
PanelBilly
I think you should post some action shots next time. Let us see you working.

There that's my tip for motivation
scotty b
is it done yet ? poke.gif
MikeSpraggi
Bob, that is a thing of beauty! I'm kinda jealous .... I've haven't been that intimate with either one of my cars.
jsayre914
cheer.gif
Looks great!

Now drive it down here to York and lets have a beer beer3.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 4 2011, 12:00 AM) *

Nice job Bob, ya hob nob snob:) first.gif

I am cursed with a name that rhymes with way to many words. biggrin.gif

Thanks to all for the thumbs up on the work being done...this is the biggest car project I have ever taken on. The prudent thing to do would have been to bail out and buy a good shell, but I got attached to the car. I hope to do it right, once, and then just enjoy driving it.
saigon71
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 4 2011, 01:07 AM) *

I think you should post some action shots next time. Let us see you working.

There that's my tip for motivation

Some pics during the inner long repair:
Leveling the car:
Click to view attachment

Checking incline factory side:
Click to view attachment

Incline - new long:
Click to view attachment

Jack in place to tweak angle of new long:
Click to view attachment

Inner plate pattern:
Click to view attachment

Plate layout:
Click to view attachment

saigon71
Finished reinforceing plate:
Click to view attachment

Cutting back end of new long...indexed off rear trunk torsion bar bolt:
Click to view attachment

Needed some side pressure on the inside of the new long in the rear so it would fit flush, had to improvise with a wedged in 2 X 4:
Click to view attachment
saigon71
Got some more work done over the weekend.

New channel formed and welded into front trunk channel....

Before:
Click to view attachment

After:
Click to view attachment

A shingle tab blew off the neighbors house, they werent looking for it, and I needed a new tar plug for the inner long, as I melted my old one while welding. Scraped most of the stones off of it...not show quality, but will work fine for me. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Jack post support welded on with advice from the world in another thread:
Click to view attachment

VaccaRabite
Holy crap!

Fantastic!

Zach
saigon71
More weekend progress...outer clam shell welded on after coating inside with weld thru primer/rust encapsulator & seam sealing the heater tube. I still had part of the original clamshell in the front, so I was able to index proper fore/aft placement by taking measurements from the cheese head screws in the bottom of the still intact drivers side clam shell. A long straight edge along the bottom kept it true horizontally.

Click to view attachment

AndyB
Looks like someone is gaining a little bit of momentum piratenanner.gif
hot_shoe914
Very nice Bob, you look like you have been taking lessons from Scotty. Very impressive work. Git 'er Done! welder.gif

saigon71
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 9 2011, 11:04 AM) *

Very nice Bob, you look like you have been taking lessons from Scotty. Very impressive work. Git 'er Done! welder.gif

Thanks Shoe...I ask Scotty questions every time I see him. biggrin.gif

Ian Stott
Beautiful work like that is the reason we never want to give up our cars, I don't think there are many shops that would be that picky about angles and straight lines. My hat off to you, gonna be a great example of a nice teener when done, hope to see it at Hershey or some other event in the future. Oh and don't forget what a great motivator cash is, your jackstands will bring a better than normal amount when you are finished if you show pics of what they have been holding up!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
saigon71
While waiting on the inner "ply" for the outer wheelhouse from Restoration Design, I decided to start tackling the passenger side firewall and some other miscellaneous items. This is what I started with:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I opted to cut out all rusted metal in one chunk:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

saigon71
Cutting - continued:
Click to view attachment

Luckily, it looks like the rust only crept about an inch or so up into the firewall...this shot is looking between inner & outer firewall.
Click to view attachment

The damaged area:
Click to view attachment

Short on money, but long on time & sheet metal, I decided to try to fabricate a replacement piece...started by cutting the bottom curved piece at the base of the firewall and went from there. The most difficult part for me was the compound bend, where I had to cut slits to get the right contour, then fill with weld. I left it a little long in all dimensions, so I could trim it as needed for the final fit. Still need to weld all seams on this, but I am pleased with how it is shaping up:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
saigon71
Fabrication - continued:
Click to view attachment

Finally finished the front hood channel. One section was fabricated & replaced. All rust was treated with Ospho, two coats of Rust Bullet then two coats of brushed on acrylic enamel:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

My virtual junkyard:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

saigon71
Shingle tar plug glued in:
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Nice work! first.gif
AndyB
Looking good Bob keep it up welder.gif
saigon71
Thanks gents!

11 months till Hershey...11 months till Hershey...11 months till Hershey sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beer3.gif

type47
Like Spraggi says, don't set yourself a deadline biggrin.gif
saigon71
Zipped up the seams on the replacement floorpan piece today, the piece is now in the crawl space (paint room) drying, after getting sprayed with primer:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Pulled out the gas tank, following the Pelican article...was not surprised to find more rust under the tank:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

saigon71
Found another large spot of rust where the front trunk latch cable attaches under the dash. The mounting point is completely gone and all that remains is a hole. My question is...what would cause this area to rust out so bad? Fender to cowl seals?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Finally, my gas tank is rusty inside. How rusty is too rusty? Can I dump all the rust out and expect this to not get much worse if I keep gas in the tank? My goal here is a reliable daily driver...am I asking for trouble if I don't re-seal this tank?

Click to view attachment

mepstein
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 17 2011, 09:23 PM) *

Found another large spot of rust where the front trunk latch cable attaches under the dash. The mounting point is completely gone and all that remains is a hole. My question is...what would cause this area to rust out so bad? Fender to cowl seals?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Finally, my gas tank is rusty inside. How rusty is too rusty? Can I dump all the rust out and expect this to not get much worse if I keep gas in the tank? My goal here is a reliable daily driver...am I asking for trouble if I don't re-seal this tank?

Click to view attachment

My white car had the same issue. The pocket holds water. Mixed with dirt and a mouse nest it stayed damp for a long time. Also check down near your pedal cluster, in back of seats under the tar and any "pocket" that holds water.

Clean out the gas tank to bare metal. There are lots of how to threads.
draganc
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 15 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Cutting - continued:
Click to view attachment

Luckily, it looks like the rust only crept about an inch or so up into the firewall...this shot is looking between inner & outer firewall.
Click to view attachment

The damaged area:
Click to view attachment

Short on money, but long on time & sheet metal, I decided to try to fabricate a replacement piece...started by cutting the bottom curved piece at the base of the firewall and went from there. The most difficult part for me was the compound bend, where I had to cut slits to get the right contour, then fill with weld. I left it a little long in all dimensions, so I could trim it as needed for the final fit. Still need to weld all seams on this, but I am pleased with how it is shaping up:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Great work man!
saigon71
Restoration Design shipped me the inner ply for the wheelhouse section last week:
Click to view attachment

Drilled holes for the rosette welds:
Click to view attachment

Fabricated a cover plate for inside of the jack post & welded it on. Sprayed both parts with weld thru primer:
Click to view attachment

Two plies welded together:
Click to view attachment

Finished product...weld thru primer on the seams, rust encapsulator everywhere else. I hope to start welding this in tomorrow:
Click to view attachment
saigon71
Dropped the rusty fuel tank off at the radiator shop today. The guy said he needed to drop it in an acid bath and see what is left before we make a determination. I had to take it apart at the shop and I forgot to take note of the layout of the tank outlets. Does the large one go in the front or rear with the tank in the car? Sock on the larger line?
saigon71
The area where the front hood release was rusted so bad, the hood release was just hanging there under the dash, supported only by the cable tube:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The cable assembly had to be removed to gain access to the area. Plus, the bolts were a rusty mess. Vice grips were the only way to break them loose:
Click to view attachment

Welding upside down really sucks! mad.gif I had better access to this from under the dash. After hitting everything with a dremmel tool wire wheel attachment, I bent up a doubler plate out of 20ga sheet metal and tacked it on with my body folded up under the dash. I had some burn through on some of the weaker metal so I had to rule out completely welding the seams, but was able to get it tacked in place. Raked my spine on the body braces twice getting out of the car - ouch.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
saigon71
With the burn thru problem and the fact that it was such a PITA working in this tight space, I opted use a liberal application of JB Weld on both top & bottom to fill between the tack welds. It is certainly not my best work, but I believe it will be strong and functional. This area will be inspected once in a while after the car is on the road:

From above:
Click to view attachment

From below:
Click to view attachment
saigon71
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 9 2011, 05:31 PM) *

Beautiful work like that is the reason we never want to give up our cars, I don't think there are many shops that would be that picky about angles and straight lines. My hat off to you, gonna be a great example of a nice teener when done, hope to see it at Hershey or some other event in the future. Oh and don't forget what a great motivator cash is, your jackstands will bring a better than normal amount when you are finished if you show pics of what they have been holding up!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Thanks Ian.

dry.gif Interesting...never saw jackstands as an appreciating investment!

Is is springtime in Monctom yet?

Bob

saigon71
QUOTE(draganc @ May 21 2011, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 15 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Cutting - continued:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The damaged area:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Great work man!

Thanks...a lot of time was invested in that piece...hope it fits well!
saigon71
I am not sure my liver can survive the rush of 40th birthday parties this Spring...but anyhow:

Got word from the radiator shop last week that my tank was repairable. They said they can patch, clean and seal it for no more than $200. It seemed reasonable to me, so I pulled the trigger on it.

Picked up metric allen bolts at Home Depot for the front hood latch attachment point:

Click to view attachment

After reading a thread on the world about proper cleaning of a transmission, I realized that I never plugged the overflow when pressure washing mine at the local car wash last year. I got worried about water in there, so I drained the old fluid out...did not see any water but the magnetic drain plug was chock full of filings. Tranny was re-filled with proper fluid and put back in the shed:

Click to view attachment

2nd ply of the outer wheelhouse was welded in last week, prepped and ready to be installed:

Click to view attachment

10 months till Hershey...10 months till Hershey. It was a scorcher today. But I really wanted to get the outer wheelhouse welded in:

Click to view attachment

I measured the distance from the middle screw on the original drivers side long to a plumb bob off the front of the jack post. Matched the 20.5" measurement on the passenger side for proper fore-aft fit:

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Everything lined up pretty well, except for one section at the rear of the inner long. This area was rebuilt 6" at a time hand formed in a vice. The last section seemed to twist up in the rear when I was welding it in. However, it lined up well with the inner long section previously welded in. All things considered, I decided to add a small extension piece to the bottom so the rosette welds would line up properly:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Final fitment outside:
Click to view attachment

Final fitment inside:
Click to view attachment

Fabricated & installed a doubler plate for the rear...had to modify it several times to clear the inner ply of the outer wheelhouse:
Click to view attachment
saigon71
DAMNIT!!! After filling about 7 rosettes, I realized I forgot to drill the holes directly above the jack post support. Improvised with a large screwdriver wedged in to get enough clearance to drill new holes. Snuck a dremmel tool in to deburr the backside of the holes:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I found the fitment of this piece to be challenging. It was clamped on and removed about 25 times before finally filling the first rosette. Probably due to the "learn as you go method." sad.gif Overall, I am pleased with how it has turned out so for. The heat started to get to me, so it was time for a cold beer and cold A/C. Will zip up the seams this week and should get the gas tank back:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
saigon71
Picked up my gas tank from the radiator shop last week. Cleaned, patched, sealed, pressure tested, primed and painted for $160. The only problem is that they painted it in gloss black. So I spent a few hours sanding it down and re-painted it in semi-gloss black. The shop used "Red Coat" as the sealer:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

AndyB
Looking good Bob keep with it. Hershey is right around the corner biggrin.gif
saigon71
Welded up the seams on the outer wheelhouse, then started grinding...

The inner long needed some trimming at the bottom for a flush fit. A cutoff wheel made quick work of this:
Click to view attachment

"Finished" job - outer:
Click to view attachment

"Finished" job - inner:
Click to view attachment

Closeup of rear seam:
Click to view attachment

There remains a slight (about 3/16") alignment issue with the upper portion of the lower wheelhouse under the rear door jamb. I should be able to get this aligned with a hammer and block of wood.
Click to view attachment

saigon71
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Jun 5 2011, 09:14 AM) *

Looking good Bob keep with it. Hershey is right around the corner biggrin.gif

Thanks Andy...I must be part of the caravan next year! Trying to stay motivated and put in at least a few hours each day. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

saigon71
Progress continues at a slow, but steady pace.

Continued working on the area under the gas tank and the front trunk attachment point. Areas were cleaned, rust treated with ospho, followed by two coats of rust bullet and new seam sealer. Note to self...when working upside down applying opsho with a hollow acid brush, do not hold the brush in your mouth while getting out from under the dash. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A crazy hail storm interrupted my work on Thursday...it sounded like someone was shooting a machine gun at the house!

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Put the tank back together with a new Foley fuel sock. The threads were a little gummed up from the red coat the shop used to seal the tank, so I had to run a tap through the holes to clean them out. The fiber washer on the small line was in bad shape so i picked one up at the local ACE hardware and modified it to fit.

Click to view attachment

Flash rust is a bitch! mad.gif I understand that it has been humid and that my washer & dryer are in my garage, but this is ridiculous. This area was freshly welded just last week:

Click to view attachment

I took a look at all the other bare metal...it was happeneing everywhere. Time to treat with ospho and get some primer on:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.