Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
OllieG
Ahh man, what a PITA!! I feel for you Bob. To be honest, I think when I come to paint mine I'm going to get someone else to do it. It looks so difficult to do a decent job at home...

I was trying to spray primer this weekend myself but my gun has packed up - need to take it apart and give it a good clean.

Onwards and upwards!!
saigon71
Stopped by a restoration shop very near my house this morning, introduced myself to the owner and told him what was going on. He stopped over tonight to check out the car. The car is going to his shop next week. To keep costs down, I can supply all materials and help with all the prep work in his shop. I will leave the painting to the professionals and have him shoot the car.

Frustrated over my inability to produce a decent paint job and itching to get the car on the road, I like this option.

If all goes well, the car will be painted next week. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Painting seems to have a long and steep learning curve. The good painters make it look easy but I'm sure they have all paid their dues.
OllieG
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 23 2013, 03:22 AM) *

I will leave the painting to the professionals and have him shoot the car.

Sounds like a good plan! I'll definitely be doing the same with mine!..looking forward to seeing pics of the finished job.
saigon71
Admitting defeat on my ability to paint a car, a local restoration shop stopped over to load the car on Wednesday:

Click to view attachment

I put in about 11 hours at the restoration shop. We sanded the car with 600 grit D/A sanders, then wet-sanded. The shop owner saw one spot he wasn't happy with on the passenger side fender that I had to cut to gain access to the hell hole...he fixed it while we were working. Car was back in my garage on Friday with a nice paint job. We are going to color sand a few areas and buff it out after the paint fully cures. A big thanks to Bryan Campbell at CSS Auto Restoration of Dillsburg for bailing me out on this beerchug.gif :

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bulitt
smilie_pokal.gif Nice!
I used to live in Mechanicsburg, nice country!
mepstein
Nice!
type47
It'll be good to see this one on the road, you've put alot of time and effort into it. Now driving.gif
saigon71
Got the parts from PMB to rebuild my front brake calipers after blowing one out while bleeding the brakes. Referencing the Haynes manual, rebuilt both calipers. My rotors were well within spec, so I am rolling with them. One of the rivets broke on the pad holders, so I drilled it out and riveted it back together with a stainless steel pop rivet:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Started final reassembly:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2013, 07:36 PM) *

Painting seems to have a long and steep learning curve. The good painters make it look easy but I'm sure they have all paid their dues.

Thats why they are OCD pricks. lol-2.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Aug 4 2013, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2013, 07:36 PM) *

Thats why they are OCD pricks. lol-2.gif

Nothing but respect to anyone who can lay down a nice finish while painting a car! beerchug.gif
OllieG
aktion035.gif Looking real good!!!

How long now til your 'first' drive do you reckon?
saigon71
QUOTE(OllieG @ Aug 5 2013, 04:21 AM) *

aktion035.gif Looking real good!!!

How long now til your 'first' drive do you reckon?

It's a matter of weeks now! biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
type47
Now Bob, you know Matt's BBQ chowtime.gif is the 17th ... plenty of time to get finished by then... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif
jsayre914
Your car looks awesome Bob!!

first.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 5 2013, 10:43 AM) *

Now Bob, you know Matt's BBQ chowtime.gif is the 17th ... plenty of time to get finished by then... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif

Hate to miss Matt's party, but my youngest brother turns 40 that day and his wife is throwing a big bash for him.
saigon71
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 5 2013, 02:38 PM) *

Your car looks awesome Bob!!

first.gif

Thanks Joe. It is a nice, "driver" quality paint job that will clean shine even better after some color sanding and buffing.

When do you get your car back? Just re-read your thread...130HP out of a D-Jet? Wow! beerchug.gif
Dion
Bob,
Just amazing amount of work you did. Read the entire post this a.m.
Be proud and enjoy. It looks great! Looking forward to seeing it at
Hershey.

Cheers,Dion
saigon71
Banged in a set of 914 rubber front marker boots. Great fit & nice part. Lubed it up, ran the main wires around the 90 bend, then ran a piece of safety wire back through to hook to the other wires:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Attached the fog lights:

Click to view attachment

Got the engine & tranny out of the shed & installed them with some help from Hollywood. Everything went smooth. He brought over a floor jack..it was great to have one on each side:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MrHyde
Lookin good !
3d914
Congrats Bob on being so close to the finish line. You should feel good that you're making this much progress over just a couple of years.
saigon71
I figured I would be driving the car by now, but re-assembly is taking much longer than expected, of course. dry.gif

Re-installed the factory antenna and fished the wire to the back of the radio:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Attached & adjusted the clutch cable. Took me much longer than it should have to figure out how the banjo clip worked:

Click to view attachment

Cleaned the mating surfaces of the inner CV joints, added some fresh grease, installed new gaskets from PMB, tightened new bolts with new schorr washers to 31Ft Lbs and safety wired them on:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Had to use vice grips to remove the decal valve from an old chunk of engine shelf:

Click to view attachment

Made sure the engine bay seals from 914rubber were positioned correctly on the bottom lip of the engine tin. The seals fit nicely:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ran the plastic EVAP lines from the fuel tank, through the triangle sills to the engine bay & hooked everything up:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

saigon71
I discovered during restoration that the front passenger bumper had been replaced at some point. They did a decent job braising it on...but the headlight always rubbed the eyebrow going up & down. I could not get the eyebrow far enough forward to prevent this with the factory eyebrow grommets, so I went with industrial strength Velcro. Certainly not concourse, but an effective solution:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Installed the front bumper with my old factory top that was still in decent shape:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

saigon71
Started connecting everything in the engine bay. Like many, I used regular fuel injection hose for the connection from the fuel rail to the injectors. I ran into problems with the MPS mounted in the factory location, as the MPS put pressure on the elbows, causing them to kink. I will order the formed lines for this side. Didn't want this to prevent me from starting the engine, so I temporarily installed the MPS with velcro on the long:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Installed the rear bumper with a fiberglass top from 914rubber. Some light trimming where it is meets the side recesses of the car body and on the top was all it took. Nice fit and looks great:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Installed the tail lights with new seals from 914rubber:

Click to view attachment

saigon71
Took the time to brush a coat of paint on the rocker panels where the paint gun didn't reach. I realized if I didn't do it now, it would never happen:

Click to view attachment

Wired the starter:

Click to view attachment

Connected the speedometer drive at the transmission. My protective boot was a disaster, so I used mastic, water sealing electrical tape to seal it up:

Click to view attachment
saigon71
I was hoping to get the car started today. Everything was going well. Poured three gallons of gas into the tank...no leaks. Checked oil. Pulled coil wire to build oil pressure before starting. Installed battery and saw no smoke. beerchug.gif Hit the ignition and the engine turned over. Immediately smelled gas. Fuel pump was leaking like a sieve at the seam and running out over the electrical plug. I think I learned why the pump was covered in some type of sealant. I am in the market for a new fuel pump.

Today ended badly. Fuel continued to drip from the pump. Jacked up the car and crawled under with a gas can. I had to use some force to yank the supply line from the filter to drain the tank. When it popped off, fuel sprayed everywhere, including my mouth and eyes. Managed to get the line into the gas can with my eyes closed as tightly as I could make them, then felt my way outside and flushed my eyes with the garden hose. Decided to call it a day after that adventure. dry.gif On the bright side, I know my fuel lines aren't kinked under the tank!

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Damnit!

I had this engine leak free before pulling it a few years back. After installing the engine, I noticed an oil spot on the garage floor. It is coming from a "bracket" at the front of the engine very near the oil screen plate. The area above it is dry. What is this thing and is there a gasket that can be replaced at my next oil change?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Bob, that's the taco plate for the oil temp gauge.
Seems to be a bit wet around the front edge of the plate.
cary
New pump is big bucks.
I think when mine gives up the ghost on my white car I'll convert to a
2 holer newer pump.
The orange car will get a 2 holer from the get go.
jsayre914
Did you apply for the tags yet? LOOKS AWESOME !

driving.gif
OllieG
Hang in there Bob..you're almost there! biggrin.gif I'm envious you're getting so much time to work on it...
ChrisFoley
That bracket on the front of the engine is one of the motor mounts. I doubt thats the source of the oil leak.

I have a 2 port fuel pump in stock.
Its easy to replumb in the same location as your original pump.

Northeast 914 Rally & Barbeque thread
Posts #31 & 32
turk22
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Aug 25 2013, 04:08 PM) *

I figured I would be driving the car by now, but re-assembly is taking much longer than expected, of course. dry.gif

Attached & adjusted the clutch cable. Took me much longer than it should have to figure out how the banjo clip worked:

Click to view attachment

My clutch cable broke the other day, I have a new one on order, what did you learn about the banjo clip? Is the rubber boot on in the correct place?

Hoping you can save me some time/effort.
thx, Turk
saigon71
Installed the new Bosch two port fuel pump from GPR yesterday. Made a trip to the local ACE for the hardware I needed. I ended up going with a 59 cent pipe mount to secure the pump to the firewall. I didn't want to drill new holes, so I modified it slightly to line up with the mounting holes of the original 3 port clamp. Cut pieces of rubber hose as vibration dampeners where the mount meets the firewall. The pump itself pulled up tight against the firewall as well, so I ran a piece of thick mastic electrical tape along the back of the pump. A couple lengths of hose on the supply side, some brass hose menders and it was done:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pushed the car out of the garage to snap some pics for the insurance company:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

saigon71
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 25 2013, 06:07 PM) *

Did you apply for the tags yet? LOOKS AWESOME !

driving.gif

Met with my insurance agent and picked up my tags on Tuesday from the DMV. biggrin.gif

I decided to go with a regular registration. I don't want any restrictions on when, where and how much I can drive it.

For insurance, I added it to my existing policy with ERIE as an "Antique Unrestricted" vehicle with full coverage. It's about the same price as insurance through Haggerty's and it lowered the insurance on my truck by $75 a year due to a multi vehicle discount. beerchug.gif

I fully intended to go the antique route when I left the house. Asked my insurance agent a lot of questions. My biggest concern was getting a check for $1500 if I totaled the car. That's not the way it will work. Erie is sending out an underwriter/appraiser to look at the car, document it with pics and determine value. At any rate, I expect to recoup what I have invested in the car in the event of a total loss.

I can always switch to the antique option down the road...

Can't wait for that first legal drive! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Porschef
From here it looks like all you gotta do is slap some rocker covers on her and go

beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Your car looks beautiful. Enjoy driving her for many many miles.
saigon71
Got a package in the mail today from AA - my pre-bent fuel injector lines. Went to work hooking everything up. Then mounted the MPS and Decel valve in the stock location. I forgot how tight it is working in there with the deck lid on. Naturally, I dropped a ratchet and dinged my fresh paint job. mad.gif I had to disconnect the fuel lines and re-route the wiring harness under the MPS as well:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Dumped a gallon of gas in the tank. Turned the engine over with the coil wire disconnected to build oil pressure and prime the fuel pump. At 6:57 PM on this fine day, my 2.0 D-jet came back to life after about a three year wait in my shed. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif I couldn't wait for the exhaust to go back on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUMculE0Fw...eature=youtu.be

American woman...stay away from me!!!
turk22
piratenanner.gif drunk.gif

woohoo!
dlee6204
cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif
OllieG
Hoorah!! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif beerchug.gif

..ahh just leave the exhaust off!!..I'm liking the 'afterburner' effect!
Porschef
Awesome. A fine reward. The slightly extended weekend gives you a little more time to get her ready....
w00t.gif
saigon71
Hooked up the shift linkage:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Installed the SS heat exchangers that I cleaned at the car wash 3 1/2 years ago with new copper gaskets:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Installed the Monza muffler that came with the car and the license plate:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
saigon71
Drove the car for the first time in over three years today. Wow, it was awesome! biggrin.gif

Sounded like it was running on three cylinders for a while. Re-seated all the FI plugs. I had dumped a decent amount of oil in the cylinders when the engine was in storage, so one plug might have been oil fouled? Not sure exactly what it was, but I got on it in a straight away, saw a puff of smoke and the 4th cylinder came to life. It is running amazingly well.

Still have some light final assembly to do, need to adjust the clutch and have a few electrical gremlins to work out, but it is 99.9% road ready.

Took a video of the engine running today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP-Yr21YXwM...eature=youtu.be
MrHyde
WOOHOO Theres some motivation for me to get my bloody motor done.. :-) Well done !
Porschef
Priceless. Love the big cheesy "I'm going to Manchester Connecticut on 9/14"smile near the end....
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
hot_shoe914
Now dump a can of Sea Foam in that bitch and go driving, get her cleaned out.
914dave
Bob
Car looks great! Go have some fun with it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.