Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress, The 2011 Hershey show gave me another shot of motivation
saigon71
post Oct 26 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Got the inner suspension console tack welded in place today.

Figured out the slight rock I had in the piece was from two previous rosette welds on the new longitudinal not ground completely flush.

I spent quite a bit of time bending, hammering and adjusting the areas to be welded on this piece, to make sure it fit as good as possible. There is a slight gap at the top of suspension console that will be addressed with a big hammer and block of wood after the rest of it is tacked on.

Took one more measurement, from both the front and rear firewall, dead on both ways.

I started with the leading edge, because of the alignment mark. I was amazed to see how much the whole console moved forward from two tack welds! Re-checked the measurements and they were off. Had to grind off the spot welds with a dremmel tool and start over again.

The trailing edge needed some side pressure before tacking it on, so I broke out the special tools.

Needed to put a little pressure on the bottom of the console before tacking the bottom on.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 4 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #82

Before finishing all the welding on this piece, I double checked all measurements. Firewall hole to front of inner console hole was still dead on and side to side came in at 33.5".

Attached Image

Attached Image

As another sanity check, I leveled the car and took a measurement from the garage floor to the bottom of the ear and checked it against the original drivers side...both were right at 14.25".

Attached Image

Attached Image

There was a slight gap (less than 1/8") at the top of this piece where it forms around the top of the long...reformed with a big hammer while tack welded in place.

Top edge before adjustment:

Attached Image

I decided to seam weld this piece on. I am re-using a replacement piece in very good shape installed by the PO. There wasn't enough meat on the some of the edges to drill holes for rosettes. I had to re-use the previous monster rosette holes on the top. I took my time and cooled the area with compressed air after every few welds. The roughest part was welding the bottom area near the seam where the inner and outer long meet upside down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 5 2011, 04:53 AM
Post #83

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Well done my man
+Quote Post
maf914
post Nov 5 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #84

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Beautiful work! Thanks for posting all of your photos. Excellent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 17 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #85

Indexing the right engine bar mount took some time. I had saved the original chunk of long I removed the mount from, so I re-aligned the holes and took a measurement from the edge of the inner suspension console to the edge of the mount and came up with 1 3/8". The suspension console that I welded in was aftermarket and did not have as much meat on the edges as the factory piece. I measured off the start of the bend of the installed console and marked a line on the long to match the factory edge. Up & down was verified at 3 5/16" (taken from the original long) with a combination square from the top of the mount to the top of the edge of the suspension console.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Used a big C clamp & jack to hold it in position for welding and verified all measurements one more time:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Re-filled the factory rosettes and seam welded a few 1" or so sections on both sides.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Nov 17 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #86

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

impressive!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Nov 18 2011, 05:00 AM
Post #87

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) Looking good Bob dont make me break out the whip. You know its right around the corner. Your work is looking really good. Glad you are remeasuring everything before welding
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 18 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #88

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Nov 18 2011, 06:00 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) Looking good Bob dont make me break out the whip. You know its right around the corner. Your work is looking really good. Glad you are remeasuring everything before welding

Thanks Andy. No need to break out the whip as the car will be at Hershey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have decided to make the car reliable and roadworthy by tackling all of the big stuff that I need to. Everything else will become a "weekend project" after I start driving it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 19 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #89

Fitted the engine shelf yesterday & today. This piece caused me a lot of frustration, largely because the front and rear firewall sections that hold the engine seal channel were not there to index from.

I got nervous that the engine mount was welded in too high, so I leveled the car and took measurements from the floor to the bottom of the mount. Driver and passenger side both came in at exactly 12". Additionally, I double checked all other measurements on the engine mount. Everything was good.

The shelf itself needed to be flattened a bit in the front where it meets the inner long. I also had to adjust the top edge of the engine mount in the front where I had welded a repair in.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I will need to fabricate both front & rear firewall metal to tie them into the engine shelf. Waiting until these pieces are made until I start welding anything. Filled holes in the rear firewall left from removal of the old sheet metal.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 20 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #90

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Nov 18 2011, 07:57 AM) *

... as the car will be at Hershey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh, death knell for projects; a deadline...

Nice work, keep the pix coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 25 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #91

Fabricated and installed the section of rear firewall that holds the rear engine bay seal. I leveled the car and measured from the floor to the lower edge of the engine shelf on the drivers side (19 5/16") so I could determine proper height of the passenger side engine shelf:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Made a template out of poster board for the replacement piece. I was able to use the mirror image of the drivers side to get the proper curve:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I measured the thickness of the original metal - it was about 19GA. I opted to use 18GA metal for the repair panel. Finished product:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
rallysport70
post Nov 25 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 10,321
Region Association: North East States

Very nice work, keep the pics coming.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 25 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #93

Got some more done today. Started treating rust on the front firewall engine shelf. Part of it is missing and some areas have a little rust - thru, so I fabricated a doubler that will be welded on the bottom. It will serve two purposes...beef up the remaining factory shelf and serve as a backer/support for the piece I need to fabricate to tie in the passenger side engine shelf. I had to make relief cuts every 3/4" so I could match the factory bend:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

There were a couple of small holes under the gas tank on the passenger side that needed to be patched. This will not be a show car, just a fun, reliable daily driver. I cleaned the area, fabricated a doubler for the bottom, rosette welded it on and sealed the edges with JB-Weld:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Started fitting the outside suspension ear before I ran out of steam.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 25 2011, 09:24 PM
Post #94

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Awsome work, Keep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) away

we are on the same journey!!
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 26 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #95

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 25 2011, 10:24 PM) *

Awsome work, Keep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) away

we are on the same journey!!

Thanks Andy...do you have a build thread going? I am surprised that you have these rust issues on the left coast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Bob
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 26 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #96

With the nice weather, I had to finish some painting on the house...but I was able to get a little more done.

Welded the engine bay seal channel on the rear firewall. This product was not available pre-bent from Restoration Design, so I had to make relief cuts to get the proper bend:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Treated the rear driver side engine shelf with ospho:

Attached Image

Brushed two top coats of acrylic enamel on the patch panel, passenger side under the gas tank:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 26 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #97

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks Andy...do you have a build thread going? I am surprised that you have these rust issues on the left coast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Bob
[/quote]

Really, Its all that work your putting in on your car, no time to watch 914 World

let the sharing of rust begin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101062
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 11 2011, 09:22 AM
Post #98

Welded the doubler plate that I fabricated for the front firewall engine bay:

Attached Image

Applied two coats of rust bullet to the drivers side rear firewall:

Attached Image

I needed to trim the lower edge of the outer suspension about 1/8" on the bottom for proper fit:

Attached Image

With the inner suspension console and engine bar mount in, it was time to tackle the outer suspension console. PM'ed Scotty B about the best way to index this piece. He said the best way was to take measurements before cutting out the old long. I hadn't done this, but I still had the chunk of old long in the garage so I was able to make a template. I really hated drilling holes in my brand new long, but I had to temporarily attach it with sheet metal screws to mock-fit the suspension:

Attached Image

As a double-check for the template, I measured from the drivers side jack post to the front edge of the suspension console and came up with exactly 12.5". This number matched on the passenger side. Additionally, I ran a straight edge accross the bottom of the inner suspension console to make sure things made sense:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

With everything in place, I decided to mock fit the suspension before starting any welding. It was a relief to see things line up properly! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 11 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #99

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

SO you'll be driving it to Hershey in a few months right ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 11 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #100

Got some quality shop time in today. Fabricated the connection piece that will tie the engine bay sheet metal together up front. Made a template and hammered out the piece I needed. I had to cut back about an inch of the engine bay seal channel on the replacement piece. A dremmel tool with a cut off wheel did a fine job:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Hit the passenger area under the tank with ospho, two coats of rust encapsulator and new seam sealer:

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:45 AM