Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> WOT: Question for Win7 Geeks, TRUSTEDINSTALLER
HarveyH
post May 4 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 843

Hi everyone,
We have a couple of new computers at home running Windows 7; (yeah, Windows/Mac/Linux arguments, but that’s what we have..) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) and I’ve run into the TRUSTEDINSTALLER problem. Does anyone know how (or if it’s even possible) to set up an account with Administrator-Administrator privilege rather than the Administrator-Normal privileges that are usually assigned?

For those not familiar with this “ENHANCEMENT” in Vista 64 and Win 7-64, an Administrator does not own certain systems, folders and applications in the computer, they are owned by a ‘service’ named TRUSTEDINSTALLER. This is done supposedly to keep uninformed users from doing something deadly to their computer, but it means that even the Administrator can’t do certain things. There are methods of taking ownership of these systems/folder/apps, but apparently this taking ownership does not percolate down through all of the nested folders and sub-folders so you have to do this for dozens if not hundreds of individual items. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (yeah, I know, Windows/Mac/Linux arguments…) There are probably even a large number of things you can’t take ownership of at all because you can’t access them to a level where you can take ownership.

When you go into your User Account an Administrator sees that he/she/it (let’s be politically correct here…) has a ‘Normal’ level of access (as an administrator). There is an ‘Administrator’ (Administrator-Administrator????) level, but when you select it the APPLY button grays out and you can’t process the change.

Any help out there? I’ve done a bit of internet searching but all I’ve come up with is the taking ownership resolution.

Thanks,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:09 PM