Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Question for Win7 Geeks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HarveyH
Hi everyone,
We have a couple of new computers at home running Windows 7; (yeah, Windows/Mac/Linux arguments, but that’s what we have..) chair.gif and I’ve run into the TRUSTEDINSTALLER problem. Does anyone know how (or if it’s even possible) to set up an account with Administrator-Administrator privilege rather than the Administrator-Normal privileges that are usually assigned?

For those not familiar with this “ENHANCEMENT” in Vista 64 and Win 7-64, an Administrator does not own certain systems, folders and applications in the computer, they are owned by a ‘service’ named TRUSTEDINSTALLER. This is done supposedly to keep uninformed users from doing something deadly to their computer, but it means that even the Administrator can’t do certain things. There are methods of taking ownership of these systems/folder/apps, but apparently this taking ownership does not percolate down through all of the nested folders and sub-folders so you have to do this for dozens if not hundreds of individual items. headbang.gif (yeah, I know, Windows/Mac/Linux arguments…) There are probably even a large number of things you can’t take ownership of at all because you can’t access them to a level where you can take ownership.

When you go into your User Account an Administrator sees that he/she/it (let’s be politically correct here…) has a ‘Normal’ level of access (as an administrator). There is an ‘Administrator’ (Administrator-Administrator????) level, but when you select it the APPLY button grays out and you can’t process the change.

Any help out there? I’ve done a bit of internet searching but all I’ve come up with is the taking ownership resolution.

Thanks,
windforfun
Can't help, but I appreciate your question. I just installed Winows 7 last week at home since we now use it at work. I noticed what you're referring to. Let's see if someone can answer this. I'll talk to the PC expert at work.
SirAndy
QUOTE(HarveyH @ May 4 2011, 08:50 AM) *
This is done supposedly to keep uninformed users from doing something deadly to their computer, but it means that even the Administrator can’t do certain things.

Then maybe you shouldn't? confused24.gif

I've been running Win7 for a year now and not once did i have the need to alter permissions on a system folder.
popcorn[1].gif
HarveyH
I ran Spybot for the first time last night on the new machine and it wouldn't let me apply the Innoculate function after the cleanup.
HarveyH
I ran Spybot last night and it woulden't allow me to run the Innoculate function after the cleanup.
windforfun
Is there an echo in here?
SirAndy
QUOTE(HarveyH @ May 4 2011, 10:01 AM) *
I ran Spybot for the first time last night on the new machine and it wouldn't let me apply the Innoculate function after the cleanup.

What was the file and type of alert Spybot gave you? Not everything it picks up is actually a threat.

In those hard to catch cases (mostly rootkit viruses) it really helps to have a dual boot with a Linux partition (i'm using Ubuntu on all my boxes for that).
Once you boot into Linux, you can access any system file and otherwise hidden stuff on your Windows partition.

type.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2011, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(HarveyH @ May 4 2011, 10:01 AM) *

What was the file and type of alert Spybot gave you? Not everything it picks up is actually a threat.

In those hard to catch cases (mostly rootkit viruses) it really helps to have a dual boot with a Linux partition (i'm using Ubuntu on all my boxes for that).
Once you boot into Linux, you can access any system file and otherwise hidden stuff on your Windows partition.

type.gif

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
HarveyH
Only one or two cookies it didn't like. Supposedly it cleaned them up with no probelm. Machine has only been running for a week and a half or so, but my wife got an email from her brother that he claims he didn't send. Ran a Norton scan also with no major problems. In he past I've run both because one will sometimes pick up something the other didn't. Only keep the Norton running all of the time in the background.

Spybot also contains a functionality that is supposed to innoculate the system from further infection from known threats. When I tried to run that the system told me I didn't have the authority.
SirAndy
QUOTE(HarveyH @ May 4 2011, 11:16 AM) *
Only one or two cookies it didn't like.

Cookies aren't a major (or minor even) threat. You should always be able to clean all cookies using your web-browser. If that's the worst, i wouldn't worry about it.

stirthepot.gif
eric9144
Its the "feature" (I use that term loosley) called UAC - user account control - and it can be turned off...

Check the post here:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disab...c-in-windows-7/

I'm @ work on my XP machine so I cant really double check until I get home tonight but I know my home machines never prompt me.

If it doesnt work out let me know. type.gif
eric9144
If the UAC thing is "off" you shouldn't experience the ownership issues either as your account will be operating in a full administrative mode--administrators 'own' everything unless that's somehow gotten hosed...

In regards to apps like Spybot, I'd suggest avoiding having those on your system--download the free Microsoft Security Essentials suite (it's FREE from Microsoft). It works seamlessly and does anti-virus and malware removal.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...32-33d813687a7f

Most of the vendors we all used to use for that kind of thing have evolved into bloated programs that slow your system down or are a constant pain in the @ss (like Norton).
windforfun
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 4 2011, 03:38 PM) *

If the UAC thing is "off" you shouldn't experience the ownership issues either as your account will be operating in a full administrative mode--administrators 'own' everything unless that's somehow gotten hosed...

In regards to apps like Spybot, I'd suggest avoiding having those on your system--download the free Microsoft Security Essentials suite (it's FREE from Microsoft). It works seamlessly and does anti-virus and malware removal.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...32-33d813687a7f

Most of the vendors we all used to use for that kind of thing have evolved into bloated programs that slow your system down or are a constant pain in the @ss (like Norton).

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Gustl
if you log on as the built-in administrator you shouldn't experience such problems
you will have to activate it previously, because it's deactivated by default
there's no password set by default, but you could set it - what's highly recommended of course
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.