Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jack Post Repair Question
saigon71
post May 6 2011, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I welded a new jack tube on to the replacement wheelhouse section from Restoration Design today, aligning it perfectly with the square hole that came pre-punched in the new panel. When I started fitting the jack post brace, I had to adjust the bends on it by about 1/8" to get it to fit right. I am having a hard time getting accurate measurements from the old chunk of long I have because it is a disaster.

The question is, how reliable is the pre-punched guide hole? Should I just roll with it? Anyone else run into something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Pics:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post May 6 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #2

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509

Everything "reproduction" I ever buy requires some kind of customizing and fiddling with to get it to fit right. Is the bottom picture to show that the post is NOT fitting well? I think you're going to be fine. Once you drill it for the plug welds and get the first one done, you can use a drift to snug down the gap before each subsequent weld. I actually think that looks pretty good.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 6 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 6 2011, 09:48 PM) *

Everything "reproduction" I ever buy requires some kind of customizing and fiddling with to get it to fit right. Is the bottom picture to show that the post is NOT fitting well? I think you're going to be fine. Once you drill it for the plug welds and get the first one done, you can use a drift to snug down the gap before each subsequent weld. I actually think that looks pretty good.

The bottom pic was to show what things were looking like after adjusting the bends on the support piece. My main concern was that I had to "move" both bends on the support piece up about 1/8" to make it fit right.

Thanks for the info...I thought I may be splitting hairs...just didn't want to end up realizing that the jack post was to high when I go to put the outer fiberglass rocker on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post May 7 2011, 07:03 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,626

Moving the bends 1/8 of an inch is NOTHING! These are repro parts. Some assembly required. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 7 2011, 07:25 AM
Post #5

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

I don't think your getting good weld penetration judging from the pictures. Looks kinda "boogery". Are you using a MIG with or without gas?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 7 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

When I replaced the jack point on the passenger side, I had to sink the jack tube into the long. I was told that production longs had an indentation behind the jack tube.

My jack tube does not stick out that far from the support plate. You may have to sink the tube into the replacement long.

Check the back of the original long piece to see if it is recessed.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 7 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 7 2011, 09:25 AM) *

I don't think your getting good weld penetration judging from the pictures. Looks kinda "boogery". Are you using a MIG with or without gas?

MIG with gas. I agree, it was not my best welding. The problem I had was that I burned through the thinner sheet metal at first and had to turn down the heat setting a bit.
+Quote Post
914itis
post May 7 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256

Nice , I have to do one of mine soon.
+Quote Post
draganc
post May 7 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,000

QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 7 2011, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 7 2011, 09:25 AM) *

MIG with gas. I agree, it was not my best welding. The problem I had was that I burned through the thinner sheet metal at first and had to turn down the heat setting a bit.

Start your weld and the thicker part and then let it "walk" over to the thinner sheetmetal. it happened to me as well. i had the open up as well the post cover.

d
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post May 7 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #10

Hey, by the way. Did you know that wheelhouse section is supposed to be 2 ply? If you didn't get the inner part when you got the new steel, shoot Mike at Resto Design a note and he can get it for you.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post May 7 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #11

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

i normally put the long on then fit the jack post to it using the hole in the outer rocker as my guide. That way I KNOW it is where it should be. Which BTW is usually NOT where the hole is punched but is very close. I then mark that spot, take everything off and cut the tube down to the proper depth,then weld it all together
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 7 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 7 2011, 09:00 PM) *

Hey, by the way. Did you know that wheelhouse section is supposed to be 2 ply? If you didn't get the inner part when you got the new steel, shoot Mike at Resto Design a note and he can get it for you.

Thanks for the heads up...I only have one ply. I will check with Resto Design.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post May 7 2011, 08:56 PM
Post #13

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 7 2011, 05:00 PM) *

Hey, by the way. Did you know that wheelhouse section is supposed to be 2 ply?

That's what makes it so squeezably soft
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 7 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(scotty b @ May 7 2011, 10:36 PM) *

i normally put the long on then fit the jack post to it using the hole in the outer rocker as my guide. That way I KNOW it is where it should be. Which BTW is usually NOT where the hole is punched but is very close. I then mark that spot, take everything off and cut the tube down to the proper depth,then weld it all together

Thanks Scotty B. The punched hole seemed a bit off to me. With your method in mind, I will clamp everything in place and make sure the outer rocker fits properly BEFORE welding the adjusted jack post support in place. It will be a PITA to get that post off the wheelhouse, but I would rather know now.

+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post May 7 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #15

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566

I recommend ONLY Restoration Design from Canada's parts. It wasn't even close as to the quality of the other repro items out there.

I did both and had a pro weld the tube in using the plate as the guide. He even succeeded in getting the TOP of the plate welded without cutting the quarter panel.

He had it directly overhead and used a Mig or Tig something and was able to get both sides done. The jack plate was placed on measurements before the old plate was wheeled out.

Not easy, but my car will never have need for a repair on either side.

I even got to take pics of the longs with a mirror on the inside.

No rust at all.

But, not every car is the same challenge. I returned the red plate version to the company I bought it from. Resto Design stuff is killer.

Absolutely no fitting of any kind was needed.

John
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 8 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #16

Checked the fit of the outer fiberglass long with the the outer wheelhouse clamped in place. Everything looks pretty good...so I welded the jack post support on today. I made out a little better welding the tube to the plate using the "walk" method mentioned in this thread. Overall, I am pleased with the results...but ended up grinding quite a bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Test fitting the outer long:
Attached Image

Weld thru primer/rust encapsulator applied:
Attached Image

Finished product:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jaxdream
post May 8 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 6 2011, 01:33 PM) *

I welded a new jack tube on to the replacement wheelhouse section from Restoration Design today, aligning it perfectly with the square hole that came pre-punched in the new panel. When I started fitting the jack post brace, I had to adjust the bends on it by about 1/8" to get it to fit right. I am having a hard time getting accurate measurements from the old chunk of long I have because it is a disaster.

The question is, how reliable is the pre-punched guide hole? Should I just roll with it? Anyone else run into something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Pics:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

That hole that is in the jack post tube needs to be filled in / covered up , else wise water and such will get into the long area defeating what you are replacing. Good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 9 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 7 2011, 10:45 PM) *

QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 7 2011, 09:00 PM) *

Thanks for the heads up...I only have one ply. I will check with Resto Design.

Got a response from Mike at Restoration Design...they are shipping the part right away. Thanks for this info!
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 9 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 9 2011, 12:13 AM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 6 2011, 01:33 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

Pics:

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

That hole that is in the jack post tube needs to be filled in / covered up , else wise water and such will get into the long area defeating what you are replacing. Good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream

Gonna wait & see if the 2nd ply addresses this, if not, I will make a cover and weld it in. Thanks for the tip!
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post May 9 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #20

Here's what the two pieces from RD look like.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:48 PM