Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coil over options - what do you use?, coilover setup, torsion bar, - sources
corpselaurel
post May 27 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,931

I am trying to figure out what to do about my suspension. I want dampening adjustability and height adjustability. I am not very familiar with products for the 914. If it was any other car I would go with something like Tein SS or H&R etc.

What coil overs do you guys use? Any full coil over setups available? (Threaded shocks not sleeves)

Should I go with a koni shock threaded sleeve setup? I have a budget of about $800 give or take. I would like to get a new torsion bar too.

Does it make any difference if I am doing a 5 lug conversion from a 911 in the front?
Where did you get what you're using?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 27 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

This is what I sell when I can get the Koni's.

I like to use Eibach springs.. but have had a hell of a time getting them lately.

B
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 28 2004, 02:48 AM
Post #3

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Hey Brad,

Do the adjustable threaded collars come with the Eibach springs? Is it something that the DIY guy can install?

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 28 2004, 03:10 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

All the pieces can be bought seperate and yes.. anyone can install them. They just slide down over the shock body and sit on the spring clip.

B
+Quote Post
ablose58
post May 28 2004, 05:47 AM
Post #5

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

Where can I get the konis and adj. spring perches for mine and how much do they go for?
+Quote Post
fiid
post May 28 2004, 10:11 AM
Post #6

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

On Brad's recommendation I ordered mine from Ground Control.

http://www.ground-control.com/

I have the Yellow Koni's with the coilover and adjustable perches on the rear. It is very easy to put together - although there was on issue with the nut that sits around the top of the shock - I had to grind a bit off it to get the bushing to fit on the top of the shock. (I may have also done the Wrong Thing ™.
+Quote Post
post May 28 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 703

Im looking into buying this right now, but am worried that my Koni Adjustables (RED) arent going to work... Dont have a part number right this moment, but i can adjust the spring height from the bottom (3 grooves to choose from). I have heard they they dont work with every koni...

Any advice?
+Quote Post
fiid
post May 28 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #8

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

How far is your bottom spring clip groove from the bottom of the shock (far end of the ring that get's bolted to the trailing arm??

How far is there between the grooves?

The perches have quite a range of adjustability, so I'd be suprised if it couldn't be made to work.

I'll go measure mine when I can find the tape measure :-)

Fiid.
+Quote Post
post May 28 2004, 01:19 PM
Post #9

I am adjusted as low as they will allow at the moment, thus the need to change to the threaded perches. Thanks for doing some research on the measurements, thats great! Think that to really get the full range the threaded set up is the way to go.

Talked to the Ground Control guys, they said it wont work on the 82k1722 koni reds. Something about them being to wide to fit the collar. So.... will have to see what part number i have!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 28 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Correct. They will not fit the red Koni's. The grooves for the clips are something like 12mm apart (that might be the Bilstein) If you want adjustability.. the threaded collar setup is the only way to fly. Even factory 964's/993's come with threaded collar setups and allow for some adjustment.

B
+Quote Post
post May 28 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the confirmation on that Brad. Now of course that means that i will have to go yellows all around? I have 911 suspension up front with Boge struts and of course the adjustable reds...

What should i expect to shell out for this stuff? Im getting a total number for the rear alone of about 500 with doing the installation myself.

ALSO - im not trying to hijack the thread! What about threaded custom stuff like bilstein makes? Not sure that 800 would cover some of the more advanced setups.... Torsion bars are gonna run you around 300 alone for the hollow stuff.
+Quote Post
brant
post May 28 2004, 01:49 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

do you really want/need the expense of a front coil over?

you can go coil over on the rear and leave your front the way it is.. (or leave it for now and upgrade later)..

front coil overs have some trade offs... they are good if you run a different spring at every track you go to, but not necessary for a street car.....

brant
+Quote Post
post May 28 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #13

Brant,

My car is full track now, but i do not want to go coil over on the front just yet. Boge Struts and adjustables are swell for now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My main concern is that the yellow sport valving in the rear and red konis up front will be a significant mismatch. Headed to Watkins Glen July 4th and dont want so much room underneath....

Bill

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post May 28 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

crap.. I don't know if its a problem or not.
I would lead towards No... but could well be wrong..
let brad or someone pipe in...

but even if it is a mismatch, it all depends upon how your suspension is working and reacting now.. If your front end is already great.. then I would think it would be fine.....

If you want to lower the car, do so.. then realign the front and use the shocks you've got..
but what do I know.....

brant
+Quote Post
post May 28 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #15

First of all, nice avatar Brant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) i get a chuckle every time i see it.

Yeah the front is "ok" right now, and i do need to look into something better than spacing the rack (like a bump steer kit for example). Definitely looking like a 914 Cayenne at the moment compared to some of my fellow 914 track junkies, and with the rear lighter (fiberglass everything and the trunk cut out to boot) my CG is pretty bad. Im hoping that i can at least "get away" with the front reds and rear yellows with threaded perches for the DE in WG...
+Quote Post
brant
post May 28 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #16

914 Wizard

I would definitely... definitely think you can get a way with it...

worst case senario, the car is a fraction less balanced, but this is pretty fine tuning and many other factors make a greater difference.....

thats a nice looking car.
b
+Quote Post
corpselaurel
post May 29 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,931

What kind of dampening adjustability do the koni yellows have? (how many settings)

I might have missed it but does anyone sell a full coil over setup? (no sleeves, threaded shock body) I know h&r has some for every other porsche. (they are really expensive anyway).

Can I use a set made for a 911?

I realize 800 is a low figure for what I am asking - I will adjust it as necessary.
So far I am leaning toward the koni yellows setup.

Thanks for the replies. No worries on hijacking the thread - I just thought it would be great to have a thread discussing all of the different suspension options. One that might have been turned in to an FAQ or ay least a sticky.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 29 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Yes, you can use the 911 RSR style struts...Kanna(??) makes 'em so does SmartRacing (sweet stuff and my choice if I was to spend that kind of money !!!!)

Figure about $800(minimum) per side on the front and half that amount for the rear.

For the front, you "have" to re-enforce the front shock tower, it was not designed for the loads and forces of a coil-over from the factory.

You can adjust the stock 914 suspension pretty easy, just turn the screw/bolt for the torsion bar.

How often do you plan on adjusting the height of your car? All those "coil-over" kits they sell for the rice cars are just for bragging rights. I've got H&R sport coil-overs on my 911, never touched them in the two years I've owned the car.

The number of "clicks" also, is useless if you don't know what the rating of the shocks are.....this falls into the "dude, my shocks have 25 different settings", yea, all of them could be wrong for your car or particular setup (spring rates)
Koni

What I'd like to know is the shock dyno numbers of the Koni shock at thier lowest setting and at the highest setting. I'm sure Koni has them, whether or not they share them is another story (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post May 29 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Call Blake down at OPM in GA and get him to hook you up with some Carrera stuff. I am running Carrera rear shocks and they are fully threaded aluminum shocks. I like them. I will probably run the Carrera front struts also when I shorten a set of housings. I like the Carrera stuff, well made and easy to get parts for.
+Quote Post
brant
post May 30 2004, 09:24 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

yeah corpselaurel,

there are threaded shock bodies out there..
I have carrera threaded shock bodies on my rear...
Figure a lot more than 800 though for a full system.
I think I've got about 3k into my suspension and I'm going to have used front torsion bars in it....

most race classes do not allow a front coil over unless you want to jump up to the big boys (not even an option for a vintage class around here)..

Like mueller said.. there are a lot of things you could do first that would give you an actual return on your investment... before you go to a full 4wheel coil over and gain bragging rights... Drivers school comes to mind and would give about 10x the performance improvement...

brant
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:50 PM