Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxster motor thoughts, ...again...
Jeroen
post Jun 17 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hey Jason,

About time you showed up here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Jun 17 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1,223

Kennedy Eng.will make any adapter you want if you will pay for it.
I can imagine you could send them a pencil rubbing of the engine block hole pattern and they could take it from there................... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

SteveSr
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Jun 17 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #43

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

I believe he intends to use the Boxster engine AND tranny.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 02:30 PM
Post #44

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Thanks for piping in Jason.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Its is plain STUPID not to utilize a Boxster S 6 speed in this scenerio. Cable shifted.. hyd clutch.. the S box is based on the 996 box (as previously stated) TANK. BUllet proof.. come to mind.

You do HAVE to move the inside control arm ears. NO way around this. Jason's car is already nicely flared so moving the mounting points is only labor intensive. We will do it and will not be that big of an issue.

As far as longivity..... who cares.. you can buy engines with NO mileage on them for under 5k. I cant build a 4cyl engine for under 5k. You can buy them new from Porsche for under 8k with warranty. The oiling issue.. havent seen it ONE time. I attend track events upwards of 3 times a month with Boxsters running. We have 8-10 Boxster owners of have been tracking their 97/98 cars since they where new (upwards of 15 events a year) with NO issues. Dont believe the hype until you speak to an actual owner who has lost one.

B
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 17 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #45

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 17 2004, 12:30 PM)
...The oiling issue.. havent seen it ONE time. I attend track events upwards of 3 times a month with Boxsters running. We have 8-10 Boxster owners of have been tracking their 97/98 cars since they where new (upwards of 15 events a year) with NO issues.

just curious - are any of those cars on slicks yet ?

the word i've heard is that until you're generating the kind of sustained lateral g forces that require slicks the OEM pickup can manage.

i note that Brey-Krause has a deep-pan oil sump kit for 996, Boxster, and Boxster S that's been deemed legal in PCA Club Race in Stock and Prepared classes. that should take away some of the additional worry for people who -are- running slicks ...

i have yet to see any Boxster cars running slicks locally; there may be some - i don't make all the events ...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 17 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #46

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I bid on a Boxster transmission on eBay, lost the bid, I knew I should have bid a little more at the last minute, I totally forgot about the auction after getting out bid early this morning.

both of these sold today:

Boxster transmission= $184

Boxster engine=$610

I agree with Brad, when you can buy a very low mileage engine and transmission, the Boxster engine/transmission swap looks much more attractive than buying an older engine/transmission that might be on it's last leg and very expensive to rebuild.

Sure you can build a V8 cheaper and have more power, but not everyone wants or needs that kind of conversion.

Once Brad nails down the Boxster conversion, I'm sure a tiptronic version will be just around the corner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
machina
post Jun 17 2004, 03:25 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jun 17 2004, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 17 2004, 12:30 PM)
...The oiling issue.. havent seen it ONE time. I attend track events upwards of 3 times a month with Boxsters running. We have 8-10 Boxster owners of have been tracking their 97/98 cars since they where new (upwards of 15 events a year) with NO issues.

just curious - are any of those cars on slicks yet ?

the word i've heard is that until you're generating the kind of sustained lateral g forces that require slicks the OEM pickup can manage.

i note that Brey-Krause has a deep-pan oil sump kit for 996, Boxster, and Boxster S that's been deemed legal in PCA Club Race in Stock and Prepared classes. that should take away some of the additional worry for people who -are- running slicks ...

i have yet to see any Boxster cars running slicks locally; there may be some - i don't make all the events ...

now you have rich.

not sure how much boxster is underneath that bodywork though. Maybe he even has a Raby type IV. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)

dr

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 17 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #48

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

This is just my stupid opinion, but if I were doing a boxter conversion and had to move the rear suspension, I'd move it all the way to the dumpster. Install a 993, 928, or boxter rear suspension. Our rear suspension is a weak-link. If you're going to the trouble, upgrade it with something better.

Now before anybody says anything about "the rules", remember, you're throwing the rules out the window by moving the pickup points anyway.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 17 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #49

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Jun 17 2004, 01:25 PM)
now you have rich.

not sure how much boxster is underneath that bodywork though.

and you've seen that car actually run ?
doesn't look like he's expecting much downforce from that huge wing in clear air. the struts are teeny and -- okay - maybe they're carbon fiber tube, and maybe they're not just pop-rivited to the rear bodywork like it looks like...

and -maybe- he's done all the structural engineering to verify that that structure is strong enough, and every other rear wing is horribly over-engineered -- but it looks to me like it'd either snap off in a stiff breeze (to say nothing of a spin at 100 mph...) or rip that rear panel right off.

i wonder how many 986/996 cars have pro-actively installed a Brey-Krause-type deep sump before track use ...
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #50

914 Freak!

Ben,

I measured for the Boxster rear suspension. It is something we are considering. They can be had CHEAP also. My concern is the wheel offset required to run it all under his current fender situation. The Boxster is WIDE.

B
+Quote Post
SilverBullet
post Jun 17 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 53

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was about to post a reply when my F-ing computer shut down. POS! Anyway. I was able to figure out how to get the BBS to auto notify me when a post to the thread occurs, now how the hell do you get that box to wrap around someone's previous comment? I wanted to comment on mueller's ebay Boxster trani and engine deal! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Couldn't you have let me thought I got a good deal for a least a week or two?
As for the scrapping of the rear suspension. Yes, that is the plan, the question is what to replace it with. Brad suggested using the boxster susp to me last week, and I'm open to it. The simpler this project stays the more likely it'll get done before I'm laid to rest! I too was concerned about the width of rear susp of the boxster but changing the length of the control arms might also be an option. I need to look under there and see what's going on with the geometry.

Jeroen: How can I get a hold of the parts list for the engine and trans? I need to order some fasteners.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #52

914 Freak!

Use the "quote" button when responding. You have to copy/paste and close the tags when you get what you want.

it will look like this:

ertewrtwertwertwert

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #53

914 Freak!

Oh.. 2.5 engines/tranny's are worthless. They can be had for CHEAP. You will not find a better deal on a BoxsterS engine than what you found. Promise

B
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Jun 17 2004, 06:51 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

OK guys, here is another question to add fuel to the fire...
As we have all seen, Brads sig at the bottom of his posts says he wants to build the first V8 Boster.... (at least at one time it did).
What is the feasability of using the Boxter tranny with a
SBC in a 914? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Thom
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #55

914 Freak!

The BoxsterS 6 speed would work fine with a SBC. Problem is: KEP isnt even considering an adapter for it (yet). I called them early last year asking them to get started.. I buy a lot from them and they still told me "no thanks".

Now the reason why the 6 speed would work:

The problem with the 986/996 engines is the fact that the starter comes in from the engine side and not the tranny side like a air cooled Porsche engine. This is OK for the V8 because you could run a stock GM starter against a flexplate flywheel. Jaidecar did this back in the day. They used a GM automatic flexplate with a flywheel (no ring gear) mounted to it. Pretty simple. The whole reason I had the BoxsterS 6 speed was to figure out a way to run it behind air cooled Porsche engines... then WEVO released the setup for the 915 mid engine.. so I dropped it.

B
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Jun 17 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Brad,
I'm sure that between yourself and a few of the talented unnamed regulars here
that an adapter plate could be put together....
TE
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 17 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #57

914 Freak!

First person with cash in hand..LOL

The cables and shifters are pretty cheap.. the length of the cables is correct. The shifter assembly mounts on TOP of the center tunnel wherever you would like it as high as you would like it... We already know how to do hyd clutches.

Oh.. the BoxsterS box is a true cable shifted from the factory box.. the other Boxster boxes use a "monkey motion" linkage setup connected to a shift rod like a 901/915/930 (they are not TRUE cables shifted boxes) The S box has two arms on the side of it. Connect the cables and run.

B
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 17 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #58

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Man! Now I have to wait to see what you guys do. If you can pull off an affordable conversion I might consider dropping my Boxsters 2.7 and upgrading to a 3.4. Then put the 2.7 in the 914. Two for the price of one and half.

Found this picture of Boxster on slicks:

(IMG:http://www.porsche-racing.at/DSC03273.JPG)
+Quote Post
ejm
post Jun 17 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #59

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 28 2004, 04:26 PM)
Definitely want to get a pre-2000 motor if you want to avoid the hassle of adapting E-gas. Getting OBD II happy should be interesting, and is way outta my league. But I suppose it's possible and someone here would know how.

Shouldn't be too difficult. You could use the original throttle pedal assy or just adapt it's potentiometer to the pedal in the car. Six or so wires the ECU and your flying by wire. For OBD you need the ability to scan the ECU for running/performance DTC's but many of the OBD2 components/systems are not needed. The secondary air and canister purge stuff can be left off and the fittings capped. When you scan the ECU the faults will be stored but running will be unaffected. Likewise the cats could be gutted, the rear O2 sensors will set a cat efficiency code but so what. I doubt you'll be hooking up a check engine light.

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 29 2004, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 29 2004, 06:52 AM)
the struggling point was the ECU and it's lockouts for anti-theft. ...

the engine ECU check its VIN against the instrument cluster VIN; if you're parting a car, get those two ECU's together ...

I think this may be the bigger problem. The immobilizer system has a few more components, the read coil around the ignition lock and the key with a transponder. When the ignition is switched on the immo system looks to see that the key is one that has been adapted to the car while the system was in a password enabled learning mode. Someone can "dupe" you key and open the door but the engine won't run. You either have to wire up and tuck away all the components or find a way to "unlock" the ECU without the immo stuff.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 17 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #60

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Jason,

both the Boxster engine and transmission had "issues"...and about 80k miles (hard from what it sounded like talking to the owner)...

the only reason I wanted to transmission was to do some research on a few things (SBC and our aircooled motors)....for a few hundered bucks, I thought it would be great deal for R&D and it wouldn't hurt too bad if it sat around for a while.

You got a killer deal and one that a lot of Boxster owners would have loved to get to upgrade thier older Boxsters.

One good thing for us (conversion-perversion folks) is that I don't see too many early Boxster and early 996 guys wanting the newer motors with the E-throttle....too much work for them, it's not a true bolt in procedure for the non-E-throttle cars....which means more motors available for us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:28 AM