Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yet another 5 lug conversion, Here we go...
thomasotten
post May 29 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

I decided the next step, after rust repair would be the 5-lug conversion. Since the engine is out, I thought it would be easier to hammer at those hubs.

A. Before
B. Wheel placed next to car to give impression of what the end product will look like
C. I followed the Pelican article. The Hub and Bearing came out not too bad.
D. Removed the trailing arm for painting.

So the left bearing is out, and it wasn't too bad. I did use WD-40 and I did have to hammer a bit, but it went very smoothly. I used that hammer in the picture and the handle off my floor jack. Hopefully the other side will be easy, being that I put that bearing in a few yars ago.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post May 29 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #2

More photos...

E. Another Impression. Thats a reproduction Fuchs, and I have two of them if anyone wants them.
F. This is the only problem I had. The Pelican article said I needed to let off the brake clearance. But this allen is stripped inside. I guess I am going to have to take a vise grip to it. Anyone else have this problem? Is this why my parking brake never worked very well?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
anthony
post May 29 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #3

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Which allen head is stripped? The one on the adjuster you have pictured?

I just redid my rear brakes and I stripped the inboard aluminum dust caps. They were frozen to the caliper. I had to remove the caliper to get them off. I notched them with a die grinder so I could tighten and loosen them with a big ass screwdriver. BTW, Pelican sells steel inboard dust caps.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 29 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #4

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Correct me if I am wrong but if you loosen the nut that the allen screw goes through it will back off the tension on the screw and make it move freely! Right?

Jeff
+Quote Post
anthony
post May 29 2004, 06:12 PM
Post #5

2270 club

Correctomundo!

I find it hard to believe that the adjuster allen head pictured is stripped. It's made out of steel. It seems it would be pretty hard to strip.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 29 2004, 06:24 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I find it hard to believe that the adjuster allen head pictured is stripped. It's made out of steel. It seems it would be pretty hard to strip.

I've got two of them for you to hold in your hands....will you believe it then??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The threads don't strip, it's the socket that strips out from wrong size tool or just not being as smart as the caliper itself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post May 29 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #7

I think your right, but the 13mm didn't budge easily. I will try again. However, I guess I just don't understand what those adjusters do. I thought that the caliper's pistons pushed the brake pads out each time you brake, and thus keeping your brakes continually adjusted. What is it exactly that you are adjusting with those inboard and outboard adjusters?
+Quote Post
anthony
post May 29 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #8

2270 club

914 rear brakes aren't self adjusting. You are adjusting the clearance between the pad and the rotor. You'll find a cleareance specification in the Haynes manual.

Oh, and wait until you try and adjust the inboard one. It's a bitch getting the dust cap off. You also will need an allen key on a socket and short extension to get it through the trailing arm. Rear brakes are a bitch the first time you do it.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 29 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #9

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

The threads don't strip, it's the socket that strips out from wrong size tool

You can still avoid this problem by loosening the nut a touch before you attempt to turn the allen! This will free up the tension and give the allen free movement. When you have it adjusted, hold the allen still while you tighten the nut back to a firm grip!

Jeff
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post May 30 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #10

I just checked the inboard rear caliper adjustment allen screw. It's not there! There is just a threaded hole. Perhaps this is why my handbrake never worked well. Funny, but the break pads were wearing the same on the inboard and outboard. So what is there supposed to be here? Just an allen screw? Is there also supposed to be a cap?
+Quote Post
anthony
post May 30 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #11

2270 club

There's supposed to be an adjuster inside the hole and an aluminum cap covering the hole (it keeps the adjuster from falling out).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 02:17 PM