Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roll Bar, Looking for builder.
Elliot Cannon
post May 17 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

A roll cage is just a pain in the ass to get in and out of the car with the roof on or off. I have a quick release steering wheel and it's STILL a pain in the ass. I can remove the cross bars in the doors and it's even STILL a pain in the ass to get in and out of. I just kills me when someone Andy's age talks about "old bones". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Cheers, Elliot

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 17 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #22

Enrique Allen Mar

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(EdArango @ May 16 2011, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2011, 11:46 AM) *

What do you need a roll bar for?
What are you trying to accomplish?

I would like to be able to AX the car in a modified class....I also am building a GT type car. Oh...and I think the roll bars look cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I think if you have any sort of roll bar/cage, you are then required to use a full race harness. Cool for the track, dangerous on the street.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 17 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ May 17 2011, 01:26 PM) *

I would like to be able to AX the car in a modified class....I also am building a GT type car. Oh...and I think the roll bars look cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I think if you have any sort of roll bar/cage, you are then required to use a full race harness. Cool for the track, dangerous on the street.

A very wise comment coming from a seventeen year old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 17 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #24

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 17 2011, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ May 17 2011, 01:26 PM) *

A very wise comment coming from a seventeen year old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

lol, I wish I was a bit younger so I could say, "Hey! Hey! Hey! Seventeen AND A HALF!"
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 17 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #25

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(EdArango @ May 17 2011, 11:14 AM) *

Is there anyone out there that is willing to make a few adjustments based on member recommendations to this bar, manufacture them and create a group buy??
Would anyone be interested in this??

If McMark wasn't working on an important project for me I would tell you that McMark can McMake them for you... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But since he is working on my fuel injection harness I am going to keep it quiet for now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 18 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2011, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ May 17 2011, 11:14 AM) *

Is there anyone out there that is willing to make a few adjustments based on member recommendations to this bar, manufacture them and create a group buy??
Would anyone be interested in this??

If McMark wasn't working on an important project for me I would tell you that McMark can McMake them for you... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But since he is working on my fuel injection harness I am going to keep it quiet for now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That's funny, he told me he gave up on your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post May 18 2011, 01:29 AM
Post #27

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Now I am getting depressed.

On a good day I am 5'9" and with my purchase of Jonathan's/Thomases Dark Knight, I need to throw something in that avoids the OLD BONES issues that Elliot speaks of.

Any suggestions based on this pic?

And Ed, I am NOT trying to steal your thread. I think we both are in the same boat, and I hate cold water far from shore.

Thanks!

John

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
EdArango
post May 18 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #28

914 Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,309

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 18 2011, 12:29 AM) *

Now I am getting depressed.

On a good day I am 5'9" and with my purchase of Jonathan's/Thomases Dark Knight, I need to throw something in that avoids the OLD BONES issues that Elliot speaks of.

Any suggestions based on this pic?

And Ed, I am NOT trying to steal your thread. I think we both are in the same boat, and I hate cold water far from shore.

Thanks!

John

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

No worries at all John!! It's great to keep this thread regarding roll bars going...It's just more knowledge for all of us!!!
Thanks!!!

Any suggestions for the Dark Knight????? Please post!!
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post May 18 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #29

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

My roll cage was patterned from the Safety Devices bolt in roll cage. It used the plate on the firewall like in the first pics. Decided not to use the SD cage and used it for a pattern instead. Decided not to use the plate and welded a bar to the firewall and attached to it as you can see in the pic. I sold the bolt in cage when it's use for a pattern was done..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post May 18 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #30

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hey Ed!

Since I am looking at one like you, Greg Brinton in Stanton is doing mine. He is a famous VW dragger working on Porsches now. He is a rollbar dude!

And helping with the PCA code is Cooper Boggs, the AX and DE safety director for PCA OCR.

Tomorrow night we decide on the shape and seats and belts, so I will tell you. Greg will probably do a drawing right on the pictures.

And of course, you can talk to him about pricing.

He is my main heavy bodywork guy, Cooper is the detailer and components guy I use. I have all kinds of things they have done.

And NO, I am not going to go for the full cage version. I am not expecting to trade paint at any time. Mostly AX's and we all know that 914's are damn hard to flip.

Unless you roll up over a tail dragger that has money but can't really drive his 2010 GT3 anywhere close to correctly.

I see them typically fly through a turn backwards with cones stuck under them each month!

One actually went through the finish light traps backwards and forgot to put both feet in. CRUNCHYCRUNCH WENT THE TRANNY!

So it goes!

John
+Quote Post
wallys914
post Jun 26 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #31

In life you don't get what you want, you get what you negoia

Member No.: 9,631

Sorry to high jack the thread but could anyone speak to the SCCA rules on the design of jt914-6 hoop X above? I was wondering if anyone would see a design or sanctioning body issue with a design like this? I am in the end of finishing my new cage and want to do and X in the rear hoop similar to this and really like this design... any thoughts...

Thanks....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 12:13 AM