Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to adjust clutch on side shift car
sgh
post May 19 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,094

New 'teener owner here and need a little help. My clutch engages almost at the floor (PO mis-adjusted it I believe) and I really cannot select first gear from a stop. Lots of grinding, so it is waaaay out of adjustment. How do you adjust the 914 901 to engage the clutch properly? thanks for the help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post May 19 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #2

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ok, The first thing I'd do is to buy a Haynes Manual for the car as you'll learn so much from it.

That being said, here is what you need to do;
1. Jack up the rear of the car and place it on (temporary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (This is a 914 joke) but strong) jackstands.

2. Identify the clutch throw out arm, and its interface with the clutch cable. the throw out arm comes out of the bottom passenger side of the transmission bell housing.

3. Identify the clutch cable and adjustment nut and while securing the clutch cable end, tighten the nut.

4. Tighten the nut until the clutch pedal free play (the distance between "all-the-way towards the driver" and "starting to give resistance") until there is about 1" or so.

Here is where the Haynes manual will help as I don't remember the spec.

5. Put a Jam nut on the end of the clutch cable to keep the adjusting nut secure (unless it is a nylock nut) and take the car off the jackstands (see, it can be done).

6. Start the car, and try it out.

Make sure the pedal freely goes to the floor before you start the car then see what happens when you do.

Do that much and write back with success (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) or failure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) . If it is failure, there are a few common problems it could be.

I hope that helps.
+Quote Post
sgh
post May 19 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,094

Thanks for the "how to" Eric. Yeah I need to add that manual to the library now. I am an early 911 owner, but am new to these cars - didn't know if there was something special to the 901 side shifter mechanism. I'll give it a try this w/e and report back.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 19 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Click on 31 pages of notes link in my sig for more info on how to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:44 AM