Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to adjust clutch on side shift car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgh
New 'teener owner here and need a little help. My clutch engages almost at the floor (PO mis-adjusted it I believe) and I really cannot select first gear from a stop. Lots of grinding, so it is waaaay out of adjustment. How do you adjust the 914 901 to engage the clutch properly? thanks for the help!
Cupomeat
Ok, The first thing I'd do is to buy a Haynes Manual for the car as you'll learn so much from it.

That being said, here is what you need to do;
1. Jack up the rear of the car and place it on (temporary happy11.gif (This is a 914 joke) but strong) jackstands.

2. Identify the clutch throw out arm, and its interface with the clutch cable. the throw out arm comes out of the bottom passenger side of the transmission bell housing.

3. Identify the clutch cable and adjustment nut and while securing the clutch cable end, tighten the nut.

4. Tighten the nut until the clutch pedal free play (the distance between "all-the-way towards the driver" and "starting to give resistance") until there is about 1" or so.

Here is where the Haynes manual will help as I don't remember the spec.

5. Put a Jam nut on the end of the clutch cable to keep the adjusting nut secure (unless it is a nylock nut) and take the car off the jackstands (see, it can be done).

6. Start the car, and try it out.

Make sure the pedal freely goes to the floor before you start the car then see what happens when you do.

Do that much and write back with success cheer.gif or failure hissyfit.gif . If it is failure, there are a few common problems it could be.

I hope that helps.
sgh
Thanks for the "how to" Eric. Yeah I need to add that manual to the library now. I am an early 911 owner, but am new to these cars - didn't know if there was something special to the 901 side shifter mechanism. I'll give it a try this w/e and report back.
Dr Evil
Click on 31 pages of notes link in my sig for more info on how to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.