Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Medford, Getting closer
Randal
post May 26 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

So how many 914's are going to be running the AutoX at Medford?

And is Britain going to give us a course diagram before the event?

I think it should be published on the Where2Race website for all of the World to see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
DanT
post Jun 25 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #21

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

Wow, pretty impressive that Randal got that close to Brit on the AX.
Guess 222 is starting to come together.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 25 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like my GPS unit couldn't keep up with me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I got 132 acceleration events (Accel, braking and cornering) for the enduro but the GPS module put most of them in the same spot.
This may have been a signal strength problem with the GPS as i have seen this behavior before if you have a very weak signal.

Oh well, i still got some good acceleration data, biggest cornering value was 0.931 G and biggest braking was -1.749 G and biggest acceleration was 1.112 G ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 25 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #23

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Randal's car felt damn good to me. I've been out of the game for over a year and it took me a while to get back into what ever groove I had....not much of one. I was about 4 seconds back of Randal....barely enough to push that car. I do love how a light weight NA car with some beans responds. Randal & Brit were in the low 51s....I was at a 55 flat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 25 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 25 2011, 06:26 PM) *
I've been out of the game for over a year and it took me a while to get back into what ever groove I had....not much of one. I was about 4 seconds back of Randal....barely enough to push that car. I do love how a light weight NA car with some beans responds. Randal & Brit were in the low 51s....I was at a 55 flat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Well, at least i beat the old man who hadn't raced a 914 in a year. Something to brag about, i guess ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 25 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Woo, just got home.

It was nice meeting Grant's Dad at the event who shared stories about "his" 914's which "disappeared" at some point. I got busy with car issues and didn't get to finish the conversation, but hopefully he'll be back at the Medford track again. He seemed pretty keen to get involved.

Anyway I did brake a engine mount on my last autox run, which was actually going quite well until it broke, then couldn't select the gears I needed. The sport mount rubber was completely ripped out of it's housing!

On an earlier run 222 was within .200 of Britain's winning time, so ended up second in that part of the event.

I got to say that JP did great for driving a new car with a seat that couldn't be adjusted. Also maybe the mount was already partially broken so he had trouble selecting gears as well. He did take over 7 seconds off his starting time in the morning, ending up running a 54 second (and change) run. Very impressive by any standard.

Oh and a big Thanks to Mark for borrowing a Sport Mount and getting it on 222, during the lunch break, so we were able to run the enduro, which is 5 complete laps on the outside of the course.

About as much fun as you can have in under four minutes. Just a great venue.

On the Enduro I started with very cold tires so had to take it easy at first, especially at turn 1 where you're hauling and a (high speed) mistake would be unpleasant. Ended up dropping a second a lap, until I got down to a 45 which everyone said was good.

I'll have to check Dave Kidderman's and Britain's times from last year to see how I did, but the car was working better than "ever" before and as the tires got hotter you could progressively attack the course. Had to use 3rd at three different places on the course and shifting, after the fix was smooth - really perfect.

Yea that was Gary ripping around the course.

They will post the times at some point so we can check the splits.

222 ended up at the front of the enduro, but not sure by how much.

All in all got 10 laps, half on the autox course and half on the enduro (some of which are the same), so learned a bunch. With hot tires you can really do some fast stuff in places where it doesn't look like you can go fast.

Lots of room for improvement IMHO.

+Quote Post
DanT
post Jun 25 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #26

Nice job Randal! Glad to see 222 coming together at last (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Impressive considering how little seat time you have had in the last couple of years and that 222 is really an all new car again!

+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 25 2011, 10:43 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DanT @ Jun 25 2011, 09:17 PM) *

Nice job Randal! Glad to see 222 coming together at last (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Impressive considering how little seat time you have had in the last couple of years and that 222 is really an all new car again!

Thanks Dan.

What I wish is that we could build a dual purpose track here like the one they have in Medford.

On Friday nights they open it to cars so you can go test whatever you want.

Interesting business model.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 25 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Oh and I forgot to mention that all the 914 World people up in Medford were just great.

What a great event. Well organized and so much fun.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 26 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #29

Irrelevant old fart

Randal the car really felt good.....that's about the only input I gathered on it. It was good enough that I would have loved to get another few passes in it. I felt like shit after lunch so I was not ready to tackle a 5 lap session. The car was good, your driving was good.....what more can you ask for a day of AX?......well, thanks to Mark and friends the assembly woopsies were mooted.

I tried to keep Mr. Murphy at home but he came along and when he saw that parking lot full of 914s.......HOG HEAVEN. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 26 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2011, 05:05 PM) *

Looks like my GPS unit couldn't keep up with me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I got 132 acceleration events (Accel, braking and cornering) for the enduro but the GPS module put most of them in the same spot.
This may have been a signal strength problem with the GPS as i have seen this behavior before if you have a very weak signal.

Oh well, i still got some good acceleration data, biggest cornering value was 0.931 G and biggest braking was -1.749 G and biggest acceleration was 1.112 G ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

You need a limit slip to keep those slicks on the ground.

I couldn't believe how much you were lifting your right front tire when entering the straight!
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 26 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 26 2011, 07:31 AM) *

Randal the car really felt good.....that's about the only input I gathered on it. It was good enough that I would have loved to get another few passes in it. I felt like shit after lunch so I was not ready to tackle a 5 lap session. The car was good, your driving was good.....what more can you ask for a day of AX?......well, thanks to Mark and friends the assembly woopsies were mooted.

I tried to keep Mr. Murphy at home but he came along and when he saw that parking lot full of 914s.......HOG HEAVEN. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yea, I'd say that 5 laps was fairly intense for every driver out there, still I would have liked to see you run it.

Glad to hear your impression of the car. Other than all the stuff we had to fix, everything went OK.

That reminds me I got to swap out all the snor (or however you spell it) washers both inboard and outboard.

We'll have to see when the next enduro is coming up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jun 26 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #32

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

CA and OR even at the shoot-out!? Will this reduce the trash talking??
We'll see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Nice work Randal, way to represent for the GGR region (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jun 26 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jun 26 2011, 07:46 PM) *

CA and OR even at the shoot-out!? Will this reduce the trash talking??
We'll see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Nice work Randal, way to represent for the GGR region (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Randal did a great job this weekend, but he was representing LPR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 26 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #34

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Of the cars with license plates that drove to the event, Dave and Gerry Hunt both beat me by a second. I was at 41 and very small change. Gerry Hunt I think had a 40 flat. 'Course, as long as were shooting the shit, they do have about 80hp on me and you could tell by the grunt they had coming out of corners. Everyone else was back of us but not by much!

That is the most fun I have had on an autocross course in quite some time and you guys in Southern Oregon are very lucky to have that venue...
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 26 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #35

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 26 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Of the cars with license plates that drove to the event, Dave and Gerry Hunt both beat me by a second.

Of all the guys over 65, with glasses, in a borrowed car, with a skinny ass & bird legs, I was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 26 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #36

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Schnorr, also known as Belleville washer.

I liked the 5 laps. But I wasn't working nearly as fast as most of you. I think I had 48.x on my last lap, so I had a little more time between corners. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 27 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2011, 09:23 PM) *

Schnorr, also known as Belleville washer.

I liked the 5 laps. But I wasn't working nearly as fast as most of you. I think I had 48.x on my last lap, so I had a little more time between corners. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Hey Mark - do you have a picture of that stock engine mount you were talking about? I'm still thinking that I might just change over to them, but would like to see what they look like first. Thanks.

FYI what bothers me about the sport mounts is that the steel sleeve inside the rubber donut is bigger than the diameter of the stock bolt, i.e., in order to fix this issue you'd need to make sleeves to fit inside the sport mount, so the stock bolt fits tight or drill out the bar, which isn't fun unless you like getting the car way off the ground.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 27 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #38

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 25 2011, 09:13 PM) *

Woo, just got home.

It was nice meeting Grant's Dad at the event who shared stories about "his" 914's which "disappeared" at some point. I got busy with car issues and didn't get to finish the conversation, but hopefully he'll be back at the Medford track again. He seemed pretty keen to get involved.

LOL! He loves razzing me for trading the 1.7 914 in on the newer 76 VW Scirroco. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) But dang I drove the 914 for 2 years and it had been rear ended and wasnt quite right ever since. He only had one 914 and it was very well aged 1.7 with 170,000 miles on original motor and tranny when he gave it to me as a HS graduation present - great car but it was showing its miles. I found low mile Scirocco for my commute over highway 17. I thought it would be more reliable than the 914 and not leak as much water in winter commutes. It caught on fire on my way to work due to an electrical fire. LOL!

+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 27 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #39

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 27 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Hey Mark - do you have a picture of that stock engine mount you were talking about? I'm still thinking that I might just change over to them, but would like to see what they look like first. Thanks.

The pieces you need are in the center of this picture.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-9546-1265523438.jpg)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 27 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 27 2011, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 27 2011, 09:55 AM) *

The pieces you need are in the center of this picture.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-9546-1265523438.jpg)

I can't tell by looking, but I assume that plate has bolts on either end that slips up into the two holes in the frame housing and a center hole for the bolt from the cross member holding the engine. Right?

Save a couple of those for me Mark. That might be just the trick.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:39 AM