Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '74 2.0 L transplant to a '72 1.7, Any issue to be aware of?
mgphoto
post Jun 17 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #21

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

OK,
I been looking over Bowlsby's wire harness diagrams, I can see the main difference between the '72 engine harness and the '74 engine harness is the heater fan connection.

The '72 harness includes the heater fan activation wires whereas the '74 does not!

Another difference between the two harnesses is the later has a "green" jumper wire between poles 10 and 11 of the harness relay board connector, which I believe is associated with the heater fan connections.

I need to see how the '74 heater fan wire is connected and routed.
Is there another wire harness for the fan? Where is it connected on the relay board?

Thanks again for your help,
Mike

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 17 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #22

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The 74 fan is connected to the main wiring harness. If you look, the jumper on the 12-pin connector routes the fan relay output back to one of the pins in the front 14-pin connector. That pin is what powers the fan.

--DD
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Jun 17 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 17 2011, 11:34 AM) *

The 74 fan is connected to the main wiring harness. If you look, the jumper on the 12-pin connector routes the fan relay output back to one of the pins in the front 14-pin connector. That pin is what powers the fan.

--DD

So if that is the case I would have to use the '72 engine wire harness because my chassis is a '72 and no connection from the main harness to the heater fan.

Is that correct???
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Jun 20 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #24

OK confirmed with Jeff Bowlsby that the '72 engine ignition harness is the one to use, with my '72 chassis.

+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Jun 23 2011, 01:27 AM
Post #25

OK one more piece of the puzzle.

I am trying to work out the vacuum hose attachment.
I have been looking over the vacuum hose routing on the bowlsby.net 914 tech pages.

Again, my engine is a 2.0L '74 D-Jet and my chassis is a '72, that means the charcoal filter is located in the front trunk, whereas the late '74 and beyond have the filter in the engine compartment.

So at this point the hose routing I will be using is for a '73 and early '74.

With this, I find I need an item I can not locate in the parts book.

On the intake plenum, there are several connections, one of those has a rubber boot that connects to two vacuum lines.
The first vacuum line is to the PCV valve and the second vacuum line is to the de-acceleration valve.

On the 1.7 this item is 022 129 637 B (branch piece - air distributor) which is used in conjunction with 022 133 085 (metal tube, which the parts book indicates the 1.7 has one while others have two)

Does anyone know the part number of this item for the 2.0L D-Jet and is there somewhere I can purchase it?
Thanks again,
Mike

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 23 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #26

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I think the guys at 914rubber make the "stacked elbow". (I think that's what you're referring to, at least.)

You can also fake up an equivalent from brass plumbing supplies. It won't be original, and you'll have to zip-tie it to something to keep it out of the way, but it should work.

--DD
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Jun 27 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2011, 03:38 PM) *

I think the guys at 914rubber make the "stacked elbow". (I think that's what you're referring to, at least.)

You can also fake up an equivalent from brass plumbing supplies. It won't be original, and you'll have to zip-tie it to something to keep it out of the way, but it should work.

--DD

Thanks DD,
I will check with 914rubber for a new one, but for the time being I was able to get one from Bruce Stone along with a few other parts I needed.
Waiting on the flywheel, first one I dropped off had 6 bad teeth, so I brought another over to the machine shop to lighten, balance and resurface.
Wire harnesses should get here soon from Jeff Bowlsby.
Installed the cooling flaps and the engine tin I just got back from having powder coated.

I do have another question, for the intake manifold gaskets, I removed all remnants of the old gasket, do I place the gaskets and just torque the manifold down? Or for the replacements, do I use a sealant?
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Jun 28 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 27 2011, 01:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2011, 03:38 PM) *

--DD

Thanks DD,
I will check with 914rubber for a new one, but for the time being I was able to get one from Bruce Stone along with a few other parts I needed.
Waiting on the flywheel, first one I dropped off had 6 bad teeth, so I brought another over to the machine shop to lighten, balance and resurface.
Wire harnesses should get here soon from Jeff Bowlsby.
Installed the cooling flaps and the engine tin I just got back from having powder coated.

I do have another question, for the intake manifold gaskets, I removed all remnants of the old gasket, do I place the gaskets and just torque the manifold down? Or for the replacements, do I use a sealant?

Anyone??
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 07:17 AM