Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> First trip!
Ductech
post Jun 6 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

SO .... after way to much time dickering with this car... (74 teener w/ej22 and overhead radiator in the engine bay) I had finally decided it was time for a serious shake down. The Wife and I had planned a white water rafting trip outside of leavenworth. So we saddled up in the Porsche and took off. What a fun car to drive around !! Most importantly I wanted to inform any other subaru or other water cooler converters. I wanted to mount my radiator in the engine bay. I mounted it above the engine where the stock engine bay lid would be. I used the stock radiator from the legacy I gutted. I built some shroud pieces out of fiberglass. Now the important part to think about here is how air flows in the engine bay without the divide created by the engine sealing tin. I figured modestly with minimal research that the engine bay may maintain some of its stock air flow theme. I figured air would flow thru the radiator now where the stock engine lid was. Air actually flows thru the engine bay up thru the lid area when there isn't a fan pushing air thru a sealed motor and out the bottom. I had wired my fan to pull air thru the engine compartment and out the bottom. This lead to an awful overheating problem when it came time for the mountain pass. The motor would get warm. the fan would kick on ... and create air turbulence. and decrease cooling. so you pull over ... let the fan do its trick. and then motor on for five more miles.

This sucked.. I hope someone can learn from this. I wonder how effective a puller fan would be wired up as a pusher? That and maybe a slightly bigger radiator might help.. this stock suby radiator is kinda crappy. single core alum with plastic side tanks.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Ill try and get some pics up but my camera is missing in action..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:17 AM