Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Still checking for leaks --- air intake/throttle area, How to remove without breaking anything
Prospectfarms
post Jun 7 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm very good at (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Not always a convenient skill.

I want to remove the intake, throttle, "air distribution plenum" or whatever its called to check for cracks where the sun don't shine. Don't wish to break it, but I got this idle problem ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Could someone direct me to threads or resources on this job. I have a Haynes manual. Not so helpful. Slightly off my own topic, but having read lots of consumer repair manuals: tractors, fancy motorcycles, VW's, etc., and I've never seen one with so many suggestions to take the car to my local dealer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

How to remove throttle body and associated intake manifold?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
Mike Bellis
post Jun 7 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Are you sure it's cracked? get a can of carb cleaner,use it to locate leaks. run the engine, spray the cleaner. If the idle speed changes while spraying a certain spot, there is your vacuum leak.

If you really want to take it apart, one bolt at a time, work from the top down.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 7 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

And use brief little jets of fluid, close to each part you're checking. Wait a few seconds to allow the chemicals to penetrate the test area.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Jun 7 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 8 2011, 12:01 AM) *

Are you sure it's cracked? get a can of carb cleaner,use it to locate leaks. run the engine, spray the cleaner. If the idle speed changes while spraying a certain spot, there is your vacuum leak.

If you really want to take it apart, one bolt at a time, work from the top down.

Thanks. I've sprayed and detected no changes but it acts like it's leaking, so I want to see the bottom of the manifold. No tricky springs or snap flanges to loose/break when I start taking the assembly apart you're aware of, eh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Jun 7 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 8 2011, 12:14 AM) *

And use brief little jets of fluid, close to each part you're checking. Wait a few seconds to allow the chemicals to penetrate the test area.

The Cap'n

Small targeted shots, then wait. Over the years I've used cans and cans of Gunk to look for air leaks, but never methodically. Just fogged areas. Your way makes sense and I'll try it. Maybe saves a trip to bottom of the manifold. Thanks Cap'n!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:33 PM