Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still checking for leaks --- air intake/throttle area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Prospectfarms
I'm very good at smash.gif Not always a convenient skill.

I want to remove the intake, throttle, "air distribution plenum" or whatever its called to check for cracks where the sun don't shine. Don't wish to break it, but I got this idle problem ..... confused24.gif

Could someone direct me to threads or resources on this job. I have a Haynes manual. Not so helpful. Slightly off my own topic, but having read lots of consumer repair manuals: tractors, fancy motorcycles, VW's, etc., and I've never seen one with so many suggestions to take the car to my local dealer. sad.gif

How to remove throttle body and associated intake manifold?
Mike Bellis
Are you sure it's cracked? get a can of carb cleaner,use it to locate leaks. run the engine, spray the cleaner. If the idle speed changes while spraying a certain spot, there is your vacuum leak.

If you really want to take it apart, one bolt at a time, work from the top down.
Cap'n Krusty
And use brief little jets of fluid, close to each part you're checking. Wait a few seconds to allow the chemicals to penetrate the test area.

The Cap'n
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 8 2011, 12:01 AM) *

Are you sure it's cracked? get a can of carb cleaner,use it to locate leaks. run the engine, spray the cleaner. If the idle speed changes while spraying a certain spot, there is your vacuum leak.

If you really want to take it apart, one bolt at a time, work from the top down.

Thanks. I've sprayed and detected no changes but it acts like it's leaking, so I want to see the bottom of the manifold. No tricky springs or snap flanges to loose/break when I start taking the assembly apart you're aware of, eh? unsure.gif
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 8 2011, 12:14 AM) *

And use brief little jets of fluid, close to each part you're checking. Wait a few seconds to allow the chemicals to penetrate the test area.

The Cap'n

Small targeted shots, then wait. Over the years I've used cans and cans of Gunk to look for air leaks, but never methodically. Just fogged areas. Your way makes sense and I'll try it. Maybe saves a trip to bottom of the manifold. Thanks Cap'n!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.