Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best places to get good quality fiberglass parts
grantsfo
post Jun 10 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #1

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

I want to start replacing metal bumpers, trunks etc with fiberglass. Any tips on best places to find 914 body parts in fiberglass?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Jun 10 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #2

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

So, will you have some good Crome Bumpers for sale? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Look here:
http://www.ultimate914.com/MOTORSPORTS_WE/...idan_Motox.html
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 10 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #3

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jun 10 2004, 03:22 PM)
So, will you have some good Crome Bumpers for sale? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Look here:
http://www.ultimate914.com/MOTORSPORTS_WE/...idan_Motox.html

Unfortunately they arent chrome.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jun 10 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #4

retired

Member No.: 313

Get your door skins from Paul (ury914)
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Jun 10 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #5

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290
Region Association: Northern California

I just ordered from GT Racing, GT Bumpers/GT front valance for my replica. They might seem a little high but the bumpers have a mounting kit with them. They have weird hours, only open in the mornings.

http://www.gt-racing.com/
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 10 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #6

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Jun 10 2004, 04:01 PM)
I just ordered from GT Racing, GT Bumpers/GT front valance for my replica.

check the fit before modifying them or deciding you'll keep them.

i was not completely happy with the RS decklid i got from them, although the early rear bumper seems to fit okay. i've heard from -several- people that they had the same issues with the GT-Racing RS deckild, and everybody telles Hank about it, and he remains convinced his mold is correct and everybody's cars are wrong.

if i did it again i'd get one from Getty Design, although i was a little unhappy about their delivery times too ... (but the RS front bumper and splitted look like they'll fit really well, and they're quality parts...)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 10 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I stock everything you listed. We have both bolt on or DZus on front and rear bumpers. I'm pretty sure we have decklids also. They may be skins. I'm betting we are the only 914 related shop that stocks 914 fiberglass.

B
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Jun 10 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #8

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290
Region Association: Northern California

I see that Getty has the oil cooler shroud. That will be next for me, the one that is my car has a couple of strange holes in it, so I want to correct it. This is a little crazy for me because I had my other car very finished...but it would have never been what I wanted...now I just need to make this car what my other was. Very detailed and cared for. The base for the 914 I have always wanted.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jun 10 2004, 08:59 PM
Post #9

retired

Member No.: 313

and everybody telles Hank about it, and he remains convinced his mold is correct and everybody's cars are wrong.

HAH!!! yes Hanks excuse is the cars are all different...

You should hear the bullshit AIR spouts about their glass...McCloughlin has some real good excuses why YOUR CAR DOESNT FIT HIS GLASS LOL
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 10 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #10

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have the GT f/g bumpers. The mold quality was quite good (at the time Hank's manufacturer had just built a new front mold) and ship time / customer service was fine; however, they did require some "non-trivial" trimming and fab work to mount up. I have the rear mounted with dzus fasteners and the supplied alloy brackets, and the front is mounted in a stock-ish fashion using rivnuts and bolts.

The bumpers and lids are a quick way to lose a ton of weight off the car and you can recover a lot of the cost by selling the OE parts if they're in good shape. My bumper swap worked out to "free", more or less, as my car had some very nice chrome bumpers.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 10 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #11

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 10 2004, 07:11 PM)
I have the GT f/g bumpers.  The mold quality was quite good (at the time Hank's manufacturer had just built a new front mold) and ship time / customer service was fine; however, they did require some "non-trivial" trimming and fab work to mount up.  I have the rear mounted with dzus fasteners and the supplied alloy brackets, and the front is mounted in a stock-ish fashion using rivnuts and bolts.

The bumpers and lids are a quick way to lose a ton of weight off the car and you can recover a lot of the cost by selling the OE parts if they're in good shape.  My bumper swap worked out to "free", more or less, as my car had some very nice chrome bumpers.

I was thinking of doing the same, funding aftermarket parts with my stock parts. My car has some original parts that are still like new given low mileage of the car. Think my original exaust system might be worth something as well. I just ordered Kerry Hunter headers and exhaust too. How much fabrication was required? I dont have a lot of tools currently.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 10 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #12

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Well keep in mind that typically f/g or c/f body parts do not come with any instructions or hardware. Also they seem to almost always require some trimming with a sabre/jigsaw or die grinder etc. in order to clear the bodywork and fit correctly.

So, you are basically on your own to figure out the appropriate places to drill and the right type/size of hardware to use...not rocket science but then again not exactly "plug n' play" either. You don't necessarily need a bunch of exotic tools, but the basic cutting, drilling and riveting devices sure are helpful.

Most recently it took me a few iterations of dicking around to attach the fiberglass top "skin" I acquired from Rennspeed. And I was fortunate to have recently seen a few VARA racecars to "learn" from...otherwise I would have probably floundered even more.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 10 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #13

Arrrrhhhh!

I'm pretty good at fabricating. Made my own sway bar mounts for my Echo last month. Think I'm ready for the challenge!
+Quote Post
KenH
post Jun 11 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 156

Before you buy anything check:

Fiberglass Trends Mitcom, 714-532-6140

They make some real good parts.

Ken
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:17 AM