Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back in Europe with my RS America, round 2, Going for another 6 months
DonTraver
post Jun 10 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,461

I enjoyed touring Europe for 5 1/2 months last year that I decided to do it again.

Some highlights from last year.

Drove 13,000 miles, made it from Munich to Nuremburg 160 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes on the autobahn. I was at 158mph going for 160, when I got cut off, had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting the guy. Drove up and down the Rhine River between Koln and Manheim visiting castles. Spent 2 weeks driving the Nurbugring. Went to Le Mans for the races with Porsche Club Great Britain. Visited 40-50 Cities, almost 100 Castles, over 100 Museums. Got sick, had a operation in Southern Germany. Needed new tires in Berlin.

Made the cover of 911 & Posche World magazine, August 2010 edition. Made a lot of new friends in England, Germany, Luxemburg, and France. Going to go see them all again. Have new invitations to Glasglow, Stockholm, and Portugal.

Took over 6400 pictures, posted on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/ This years pictures will have a 2011 in the group title.

She cleared customs last week in Felixstowe, met up with some friends in Essex that I met at Le Mans last year and them headed for South Wales. I'm in North Wales now for the next 5 days, then north to Scotland then the continent. Thinking of another 2 weeks at the Nurburgring.

Attaching a picture of me and my baby on the Nurburgring, really cool. there's a guy at the Ring that takes pictures of all the cars on the track, charges 8 euros for copies of his pictures. I really enjoy driving around Europe in a RS America with California Plates.

So I'm off today to see a few more castles.

Don

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Jun 10 2011, 06:16 AM
Post #2

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

I can't wait to see that car on the Ring. PM me when you get some firm dates on the Ring and I will drive up for a day of driving, food and beer. My 914 hasn't been out there since I put in a 2056.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 10 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Hey! Your hair color matches the car! Have a safe trip Don. Hopefully no more health issues.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 10 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #4

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

if you find yourself in the very south of Germany let me know

maybe we could meet for a beer (or similar) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 10 2011, 12:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Don, how do we find your flikr albums?

And didn't you used to go to the PCA auto-x's in San Diego? Just trying to remember because the name and the cars look familiar...
+Quote Post
skota
post Jun 10 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,291
Region Association: None

living the dream (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 10 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #7

hcdmueller I'll let you know when I make my hotel reservations, I might show up with 5-6 guys from Porsche Club Luxembourg, went to a track in France and Luxembourg with them last year.

http://www.flickr.com/ it works for me. Yes I used to be a member of PCASDR. I'll never be a member of PCA again, I'll leave it at that.

Gustl, might be in Southern Germany in say 4-5 weeks, after Manchester 3 days, York 4-5 days, Scotland maybe 2 weeks, ferry to Holland, get off ferry head to Luxembourg 3-4 days, then at least a week at the Ring. How close are you to Ramstien?

+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 10 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #8

Found the picture of 911 & Porsche World, it's small

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jun 10 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #9

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I hope you have a fun time. I get to drive an RSA tomorrow at our local AX (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . They sure are fun cars.

but not as much fun as the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 10 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 10 2011, 10:49 PM) *

Gustl, might be in Southern Germany in say 4-5 weeks, after Manchester 3 days, York 4-5 days, Scotland maybe 2 weeks, ferry to Holland, get off ferry head to Luxembourg 3-4 days, then at least a week at the Ring. How close are you to Ramstien?

if you're thinking about Ramstein, where the big US Airbase is - I'm more than 5 hrs south (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 11 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #11

On short tracks, Willow Springs, Streets and AX, I always got better times with my 914-6. I shoot more for car control than speed now days, speed always comes after car control.

Gustl, route is looking like Sweden. Germany. Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany. So maybe we can meet when I head North into Germany From France.
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Jun 11 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #12

?????????????

I am at Ramstein. If you meet up with Gustl I might make the trip down for that too. I have been promising my wife a road trip in the 914 this summer and we still haven't been to Munich since we moved here.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 11 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 11 2011, 03:22 PM) *

Gustl, route is looking like Sweden. Germany. Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany. So maybe we can meet when I head North into Germany From France.

if you go to Austria and Switzerland, you will be very close to my place
I'm in the west of Austria, about 90 min to the Swiss border and about 1 hour to the Italien border
we have plenty of very cool twisties in my area (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 11 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jun 11 2011, 04:29 PM) *

... and we still haven't been to Munich since we moved here.

in the Munich area is quite a nice 914 scene
some of my friends are there and we meet every now and then for a talk, BBQ or a nice teener ride
on July 10 there's the big annual teener BBQ just a view miles outside Munich
I'll be there !!

+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jun 11 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #15

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

DON!!!
you Da Man!
+Quote Post
dirk9141973
post Jun 11 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #16

Unregistered

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 9 2011, 11:23 PM) *

I enjoyed touring Europe for 5 1/2 months last year that I decided to do it again.

Some highlights from last year.

Drove 13,000 miles, made it from Munich to Nuremburg 160 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes on the autobahn. I was at 158mph going for 160, when I got cut off, had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting the guy. Drove up and down the Rhine River between Koln and Manheim visiting castles. Spent 2 weeks driving the Nurbugring. Went to Le Mans for the races with Porsche Club Great Britain. Visited 40-50 Cities, almost 100 Castles, over 100 Museums. Got sick, had a operation in Southern Germany. Needed new tires in Berlin.

Made the cover of 911 & Posche World magazine, August 2010 edition. Made a lot of new friends in England, Germany, Luxemburg, and France. Going to go see them all again. Have new invitations to Glasglow, Stockholm, and Portugal.

Took over 6400 pictures, posted on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/ This years pictures will have a 2011 in the group title.

She cleared customs last week in Felixstowe, met up with some friends in Essex that I met at Le Mans last year and them headed for South Wales. I'm in North Wales now for the next 5 days, then north to Scotland then the continent. Thinking of another 2 weeks at the Nurburgring.

Attaching a picture of me and my baby on the Nurburgring, really cool. there's a guy at the Ring that takes pictures of all the cars on the track, charges 8 euros for copies of his pictures. I really enjoy driving around Europe in a RS America with California Plates.

So I'm off today to see a few more castles.

Don

What dates? my brother and I are going to "Open" then headed to Amsterdam and south to Germany and to France and last few days :Tour in France
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jun 11 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #17

Chris, if your planning on going to Munich, you might also want to stop at Neuschwanstien Castle. It’s about 1/1/2 hours from Munich, and it’s on the way from Ramstien. In 2007 I was on tour with Autobahn Adventures. They had a Summer Symphony Concert series going on in the Castle. We got tickets, the concert was in the Throne Room, Wow.

Hi Elliot, yeah, the hair matches, it’s called old.

Gustl, Austria will be after I visit Henrick & Marie, north of Hamburg. They have a family estate that’s huge and has been in the family for a few hundred years. When I visited them last year, they put me in a cottage with a thatched roof and it had a real Cannon from some war in the 1700’s. That was so cool. Henrick has a RS America too. From them maybe a few more days in Berlin, then on to Vienna. I’ll let you know when I’m headed that way.

I put the July 10th BBQ on my calendar, who knows, it could happen.

Hey Sean, What it is. Nice to hear from you.

Dates???? I’m already over here, currently in North Wales.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 12 2011, 03:08 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 11 2011, 09:18 PM) *

I put the July 10th BBQ on my calendar, who knows, it could happen.

ooops - have to correct that - it's on Saturday July 9th !!
(it will last to the 10th tho ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Jun 12 2011, 03:36 AM
Post #19

?????????????

Don, I have been to Neuschwanstein and several places around Austria and Bavaria. For some reason we have never gone to Munich. I will put 9 July on my calender too. Hopefully work won't get in the way.
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jul 4 2011, 06:54 AM
Post #20

Spent the last month in England, Wales, and Scotland. Crossed over on the Eurotunnel yesterday. Now with friends in Luxembourg for a few days.

Leaving Thursday the 7th for a week at the Nurburgring, yee haw.

Thinking of extending the tour already. How does wintering in Spain and Italy sound.

New address for pictures. This years pictures will have 2011 added to the title

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2010-2011_european_tour

Later, Don
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:14 AM