Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back in Europe with my RS America, round 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
I enjoyed touring Europe for 5 1/2 months last year that I decided to do it again.

Some highlights from last year.

Drove 13,000 miles, made it from Munich to Nuremburg 160 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes on the autobahn. I was at 158mph going for 160, when I got cut off, had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting the guy. Drove up and down the Rhine River between Koln and Manheim visiting castles. Spent 2 weeks driving the Nurbugring. Went to Le Mans for the races with Porsche Club Great Britain. Visited 40-50 Cities, almost 100 Castles, over 100 Museums. Got sick, had a operation in Southern Germany. Needed new tires in Berlin.

Made the cover of 911 & Posche World magazine, August 2010 edition. Made a lot of new friends in England, Germany, Luxemburg, and France. Going to go see them all again. Have new invitations to Glasglow, Stockholm, and Portugal.

Took over 6400 pictures, posted on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/ This years pictures will have a 2011 in the group title.

She cleared customs last week in Felixstowe, met up with some friends in Essex that I met at Le Mans last year and them headed for South Wales. I'm in North Wales now for the next 5 days, then north to Scotland then the continent. Thinking of another 2 weeks at the Nurburgring.

Attaching a picture of me and my baby on the Nurburgring, really cool. there's a guy at the Ring that takes pictures of all the cars on the track, charges 8 euros for copies of his pictures. I really enjoy driving around Europe in a RS America with California Plates.

So I'm off today to see a few more castles.

Don

hcdmueller
I can't wait to see that car on the Ring. PM me when you get some firm dates on the Ring and I will drive up for a day of driving, food and beer. My 914 hasn't been out there since I put in a 2056.
Elliot Cannon
Hey! Your hair color matches the car! Have a safe trip Don. Hopefully no more health issues.
Cheers, Elliot
Gustl
if you find yourself in the very south of Germany let me know

maybe we could meet for a beer (or similar) beerchug.gif
eric9144
Don, how do we find your flikr albums?

And didn't you used to go to the PCA auto-x's in San Diego? Just trying to remember because the name and the cars look familiar...
skota
living the dream driving-girl.gif
DonTraver
hcdmueller I'll let you know when I make my hotel reservations, I might show up with 5-6 guys from Porsche Club Luxembourg, went to a track in France and Luxembourg with them last year.

http://www.flickr.com/ it works for me. Yes I used to be a member of PCASDR. I'll never be a member of PCA again, I'll leave it at that.

Gustl, might be in Southern Germany in say 4-5 weeks, after Manchester 3 days, York 4-5 days, Scotland maybe 2 weeks, ferry to Holland, get off ferry head to Luxembourg 3-4 days, then at least a week at the Ring. How close are you to Ramstien?

DonTraver
Found the picture of 911 & Porsche World, it's small
PeeGreen 914
Awesome beerchug.gif I hope you have a fun time. I get to drive an RSA tomorrow at our local AX piratenanner.gif . They sure are fun cars.

but not as much fun as the 914 hide.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 10 2011, 10:49 PM) *

Gustl, might be in Southern Germany in say 4-5 weeks, after Manchester 3 days, York 4-5 days, Scotland maybe 2 weeks, ferry to Holland, get off ferry head to Luxembourg 3-4 days, then at least a week at the Ring. How close are you to Ramstien?

if you're thinking about Ramstein, where the big US Airbase is - I'm more than 5 hrs south idea.gif
DonTraver
On short tracks, Willow Springs, Streets and AX, I always got better times with my 914-6. I shoot more for car control than speed now days, speed always comes after car control.

Gustl, route is looking like Sweden. Germany. Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany. So maybe we can meet when I head North into Germany From France.
hcdmueller
I am at Ramstein. If you meet up with Gustl I might make the trip down for that too. I have been promising my wife a road trip in the 914 this summer and we still haven't been to Munich since we moved here.
Gustl
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 11 2011, 03:22 PM) *

Gustl, route is looking like Sweden. Germany. Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany. So maybe we can meet when I head North into Germany From France.

if you go to Austria and Switzerland, you will be very close to my place
I'm in the west of Austria, about 90 min to the Swiss border and about 1 hour to the Italien border
we have plenty of very cool twisties in my area driving.gif

Gustl
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jun 11 2011, 04:29 PM) *

... and we still haven't been to Munich since we moved here.

in the Munich area is quite a nice 914 scene
some of my friends are there and we meet every now and then for a talk, BBQ or a nice teener ride
on July 10 there's the big annual teener BBQ just a view miles outside Munich
I'll be there !!

sean_v8_914
DON!!!
you Da Man!
dirk9141973
aktion035.gif
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 9 2011, 11:23 PM) *

I enjoyed touring Europe for 5 1/2 months last year that I decided to do it again.

Some highlights from last year.

Drove 13,000 miles, made it from Munich to Nuremburg 160 miles in 1 hour and 10 minutes on the autobahn. I was at 158mph going for 160, when I got cut off, had to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting the guy. Drove up and down the Rhine River between Koln and Manheim visiting castles. Spent 2 weeks driving the Nurbugring. Went to Le Mans for the races with Porsche Club Great Britain. Visited 40-50 Cities, almost 100 Castles, over 100 Museums. Got sick, had a operation in Southern Germany. Needed new tires in Berlin.

Made the cover of 911 & Posche World magazine, August 2010 edition. Made a lot of new friends in England, Germany, Luxemburg, and France. Going to go see them all again. Have new invitations to Glasglow, Stockholm, and Portugal.

Took over 6400 pictures, posted on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/ This years pictures will have a 2011 in the group title.

She cleared customs last week in Felixstowe, met up with some friends in Essex that I met at Le Mans last year and them headed for South Wales. I'm in North Wales now for the next 5 days, then north to Scotland then the continent. Thinking of another 2 weeks at the Nurburgring.

Attaching a picture of me and my baby on the Nurburgring, really cool. there's a guy at the Ring that takes pictures of all the cars on the track, charges 8 euros for copies of his pictures. I really enjoy driving around Europe in a RS America with California Plates.

So I'm off today to see a few more castles.

Don

What dates? my brother and I are going to "Open" then headed to Amsterdam and south to Germany and to France and last few days :Tour in France
DonTraver
Chris, if your planning on going to Munich, you might also want to stop at Neuschwanstien Castle. It’s about 1/1/2 hours from Munich, and it’s on the way from Ramstien. In 2007 I was on tour with Autobahn Adventures. They had a Summer Symphony Concert series going on in the Castle. We got tickets, the concert was in the Throne Room, Wow.

Hi Elliot, yeah, the hair matches, it’s called old.

Gustl, Austria will be after I visit Henrick & Marie, north of Hamburg. They have a family estate that’s huge and has been in the family for a few hundred years. When I visited them last year, they put me in a cottage with a thatched roof and it had a real Cannon from some war in the 1700’s. That was so cool. Henrick has a RS America too. From them maybe a few more days in Berlin, then on to Vienna. I’ll let you know when I’m headed that way.

I put the July 10th BBQ on my calendar, who knows, it could happen.

Hey Sean, What it is. Nice to hear from you.

Dates???? I’m already over here, currently in North Wales.
Gustl
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 11 2011, 09:18 PM) *

I put the July 10th BBQ on my calendar, who knows, it could happen.

ooops - have to correct that - it's on Saturday July 9th !!
(it will last to the 10th tho ... biggrin.gif )

beerchug.gif
hcdmueller
Don, I have been to Neuschwanstein and several places around Austria and Bavaria. For some reason we have never gone to Munich. I will put 9 July on my calender too. Hopefully work won't get in the way.
DonTraver
Spent the last month in England, Wales, and Scotland. Crossed over on the Eurotunnel yesterday. Now with friends in Luxembourg for a few days.

Leaving Thursday the 7th for a week at the Nurburgring, yee haw.

Thinking of extending the tour already. How does wintering in Spain and Italy sound.

New address for pictures. This years pictures will have 2011 added to the title

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2010-2011_european_tour

Later, Don
Mike Bellis
I'm jealous!
veltror
If you are in Luxembourg have you been to the Bugatti museum? worth a trip when travelling thru germany make sure you go to the Auto un Technik museum at Sinsheim and the one at Speyer.
balljoint
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jun 10 2011, 03:23 AM) *
Spent 2 weeks driving the Nurbugring.

Maybe on this second trip you will be able to beat that lap time. Two weeks? huh.gif laugh.gif
DonTraver
Leaving Luxembourg today for the Nurburgring. I'll be there a week, maybe more. Got the track schedule. Planning on getting a 25 lap ticket, may need 2.

Went for a short jaunt on the Autobahn, hit 145 mph before hitting slower traffic. Fastest I've done is in a 997C4S is 165mph, and 159mph in my RS America between Munich and Nuremburg last year. Hope to break both records this year. Got the suspension dialed in last year on the RS America on the Nurburgring. We're both ready.

In 9 hours, it'll be time to Rock on the Ring. How cool is that.

Later, Don
Mike Bellis
Living the dream! wub.gif
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 6 2011, 10:49 PM) *

Living the dream! wub.gif

Yes congrats.... living the dream.
DonTraver
I got to the Ring, the parking lot was only half full. Then at around 15 minutes before the track opened, they started showing up, but it still wasn’t full at track time. I waited until all the anxious ones got on the track, gave them another 5 minutes before I pulled up to the gate. Oh yeah, I bought a 25 lap ticket. While I was in the states, I picked up this windshield mount for something and modified it for my camera. Only one slight problem, the camera hangs upside down, minor. Anyway, I hit the movie button right after I left the gate and we were off on the ring.

I took it easy most of the way around on the 1st lap, just squealed the tires in a few corners, 2nd lap was faster, more squealing tires, 3rd lap was even better, and the 4th was pretty good, lots of squealing tires, loved it. After 4 laps one after the other, it was time for a break. Met and talked with some people, looked at the clock, 7pm, track closes at 7:30pm. That’s enough for today. Checked the tire wear and inflation before I left the track, the inflation looked like it was right on.

4 laps is a bit over 56 miles, over 360 corners. I used close to a ½ tank of gas.

Leaving in 30 minutes for more of the same, internet very slow here. Normal for small villages.

The marks over the RSA are copyright thingys, they get removed when you buy the pictures, I will. She sure is pretty.

Later, Don
DonTraver
Just recieved this email from my insurance company this morning. Spending the winter in Spain and Italy is sounding Better and Better.

Your touring policy is paid now to April 21, 2012. If you plan on continuing your tour, your policy will automatically renew on April 21st.

I love it when things just fall into place.

Later, Don
hcdmueller
Met up with Don up at the Ring. After a lot of obstacles I didn't get there in time to run a lap but we did sit down and talk over a beer. It was a great day and the weather made it even better. Eventually I will get my car back on the track. Until then I will just have to do with some pictures.
Lou W
Very cool Don, looks like lots of fun. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.