Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Flywheel Crankshaft oil seal
iamchappy
post Jun 11 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #1

It all happens so fast!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had to replace the seal as i sprung a huge leak last week, when i pulled the flywheel off i discovered The old seal was cocked and and was not installed properly by the builder it has always leaked a little ever since i have run it, but last week it let go after only 30 miles breaking in my new clutch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) . Lucky the clutch doesn't appear to of been contaminated by oil.
I installed a new seal in it a few days ago, but realized after that i didn't oil the inside of the seal that runs on the crankshaft (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (i was rushing to get the frozen seal in place before it warmed up as it was 103ยบ that day outside) , rather than risk the chance of the rubber seal burning i decided to pull the seal out and do it over.
I removed the seal this morning, the inside of the seal was full of oil up to the small holes in the case and oil weeps down from behind the center of the crankshaft. The engine is tilted back a little so i could easily remove the transmission, should the oil level be that high in the case and should oil be able to weep from behind the crankshaft.

Should oil have accumulated behind the seal even though the engine has not been turned over.

I am ready to install the new seal but would like to hear what you think, do you think i may have to much oil in my tank.....It registered up to the full mark on my stick when i was done adding to it when it was fully warmed up...Maybe my oil stick mark has been wrong all these years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:58 AM