Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel Crankshaft oil seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I had to replace the seal as i sprung a huge leak last week, when i pulled the flywheel off i discovered The old seal was cocked and and was not installed properly by the builder it has always leaked a little ever since i have run it, but last week it let go after only 30 miles breaking in my new clutch hissyfit.gif . Lucky the clutch doesn't appear to of been contaminated by oil.
I installed a new seal in it a few days ago, but realized after that i didn't oil the inside of the seal that runs on the crankshaft headbang.gif (i was rushing to get the frozen seal in place before it warmed up as it was 103ยบ that day outside) , rather than risk the chance of the rubber seal burning i decided to pull the seal out and do it over.
I removed the seal this morning, the inside of the seal was full of oil up to the small holes in the case and oil weeps down from behind the center of the crankshaft. The engine is tilted back a little so i could easily remove the transmission, should the oil level be that high in the case and should oil be able to weep from behind the crankshaft.

Should oil have accumulated behind the seal even though the engine has not been turned over.

I am ready to install the new seal but would like to hear what you think, do you think i may have to much oil in my tank.....It registered up to the full mark on my stick when i was done adding to it when it was fully warmed up...Maybe my oil stick mark has been wrong all these years confused24.gif
rick 918-S
I can't comment on the level of your oil but with the engine hanging down it is likely that it's just enough to allow oil to be hi in the end of the block. Oil will seep though the bearing. Sux about the original install dry.gif Sometimes money and patiences just isn't enough. If you want something done right....
sixnotfour
That seal can be problematic for some , you may want to find a thread from rob930 or 930rob on pelican. He ended up making the spring a bit tighter, by making it smaller , it kinda of screws together. To solve his many rear seal wows.
Maltese Falcon
...Chap, did your six sit for awhile just before the gusher ? I've found that I can't leave any of my dry-sump P cars stored too long, especially on a slight downgrade. The oil in the tank will siphon into the crankcase , yielding a higher oil level, putting more demands on seals and even the piston rings.
If you don't have any spare time to drive it, let me know and I'll fly out and handle it for you smile.gif
Marty
iamchappy
The engine was out of the car over the winter, the seal was cocked so bad that it was only a matter of time before it would fail, I'm sure sitting didn't help. Marty ive been saving up for a set of headers from you, hopefully I can put my order in this summer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.