Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> step by Step - how to set the timing?
NJ914Guy
post Jun 19 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,546
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

OK, so I want to start doing more work on my 914 but need some step by step instructions. I am planning to run to the local FLAPS and grab a timing light. Do I need a particular type for the 914?

Also, can someone tell me exactly where to hook up the gun's wires? I assume power and ground and maybe to the coil or a plug wire?

Once hooked up, I know to remove the cap from the fan cover and to shine the light down in there to read the timing advance. What should I look for?

Assume adjustment is as simple as loosening the distributor hold down and rotating the entire distributor left/right and then tighten to lock in?

I have an aircooled.net svda (vac advance) 034, so I know that I have to check at idle, and at 3500 rpm with vac hose on and off the can. For example, if the timing is set at 3500 rpm vac on, does that mean that vac off will simply fall into spec? Or, do I adjust again? I am a bit confused as it seems that one adjustment would effect the other.

Thanks for helping guys!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:03 AM