Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: step by Step - how to set the timing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJ914Guy
OK, so I want to start doing more work on my 914 but need some step by step instructions. I am planning to run to the local FLAPS and grab a timing light. Do I need a particular type for the 914?

Also, can someone tell me exactly where to hook up the gun's wires? I assume power and ground and maybe to the coil or a plug wire?

Once hooked up, I know to remove the cap from the fan cover and to shine the light down in there to read the timing advance. What should I look for?

Assume adjustment is as simple as loosening the distributor hold down and rotating the entire distributor left/right and then tighten to lock in?

I have an aircooled.net svda (vac advance) 034, so I know that I have to check at idle, and at 3500 rpm with vac hose on and off the can. For example, if the timing is set at 3500 rpm vac on, does that mean that vac off will simply fall into spec? Or, do I adjust again? I am a bit confused as it seems that one adjustment would effect the other.

Thanks for helping guys!
jaxdream
Got Haynes ????
Your sig line says 2.0 , and with the SVDA it probably means carb ( s ) . Check the search function, should be plenty of info for timing set. Timing light , at least get the one with the advance dial on it , very helpful in certain circumstances. Good luck ......

p.s. timing set with vac line plugged from source. Light wires + to battery + ( hot ) , - to battery neg ( ground ) , pickup to the # 1 plug wire close to the plug , not necessarily on the plug itself, just close, squezze the trigger ....

Jack
VaccaRabite
USE THE FACTORY HARD TO SEE MARKS!

A PO painted on marks so that they could be seen more easily without a mirror or contortion. When I user them, my timing was off every time. When I went to the factory marks I was dead on. If the PO painted something on, IGNORE it. Use a mirror and the factory mark and notch.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.