Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need a radiator for my SBC conversion, Ideas? Part numbers?
andys
post Jun 22 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(joefri187 @ Jun 22 2011, 01:05 PM) *

Andrew nailed it....

I used a Derale adjustable fan controller with a threaded temp sender instead of the probe type that pushes into the radiator.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16749/

I used an adapter similar to the one below for the sender unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/32mm-1-1-4i...#ht_3609wt_1253

The filler and catch can are in the engine compartment.

The hoses were adapted/reduced to 1" id green stripe hardwall and run under the car.

I'd be concerned using those reducers that have no bead. Hose is in danger of slipping off.

Andys
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 22 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #22

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Good thing about those copper tubes is you can easily add a bead to them. Thats what I use and soldered a bead to it. Also I scored the tubing with a sharp knife and use 2 clamps.
+Quote Post
joefri187
post Jun 22 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,047
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 22 2011, 01:48 PM) *

Good thing about those copper tubes is you can easily add a bead to them. Thats what I use and soldered a bead to it. Also I scored the tubing with a sharp knife and use 2 clamps.

That's exactly what I did before installing them!!!
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Jun 22 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,782

Griffin double pass 9D-10682-01
+Quote Post
pete
post Jun 23 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 23 2011, 12:11 AM) *

Hi, I tried finding this part number. No luck.
+Quote Post
pete
post Jun 23 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #26

That's an awesome looking car by the way. Do you have more pics of it you can share?
+Quote Post
andys
post Jun 23 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

I used the AFCO 80133N which is available from Summit, though it's now $45 more than what I paid a few years ago. It's a double pass and has no cap; it was orignally for ASA cars.

Andys
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jun 23 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #28

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In my setup I went with a Giffin radiator, model 125241-H... no radiator cap. The dimensions are 16"x 27.5" x 3". It's installed to float in its mounts versus mounted rigidly.

I also used one of the most powerful fans ever put in a production vehicle (Google it)... an early to mid-ninties Ford Taurus/Sable fan. I think the only one more powerful (and larger) is out of a Mark VIII. Local junk yard for $20.00. Note that fan shroud covers about 90% of radiator surface... perfect! Then of course, you need to get the controller, mine is an adjustable unit.

So far so good!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

[/quote]

This is a nice clean set up and I would be inclined to go with 1 fan rather then two as long as it keeps things cool. So you have a remote filler for the radiator? Also, those look like 2-3" hoses going through the floor. Are you running hoses that large of a diameter under the car?
[/quote]

Those hoses are connected to 1x2 (rectagular) steel tubing. Hoses are 1.5" and 1.75".
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Jun 23 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 3,782

QUOTE(pete @ Jun 23 2011, 06:57 AM) *

Hi, I tried finding this part number. No luck.

The radiator is at least 10 years old so you may need to call them. Its bigger than most used. I think there are others out there that might work just as well. My car has never been over 200 degrees even in 110 weather. I would make sure IMO to use a big alternator, I'm using a 150 amp unit. Those fans will be happy to use every amp.

+Quote Post
ChristopherB
post Mar 15 2013, 08:08 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,086
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Does this thread, and these different set ups apply to any water cooled conversion? I am searching, reading, and yearning to do a subie conversion. This thread was very helpful in convincing me to not buy a kit and to do the radiator myself. In doing the subie conversion would the radiator or fans be different? Also, why do some people do vertical mounts while others are angled?
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Mar 15 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #31

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

If you purchase a short enough radiator you can install it vertically. The angled ones are usually too tall to allow the hood to close so they are angled back to provide clearance.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 15 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #32

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

It seems that the radiator has always been the Achilles heel of the V8 powered 914s.
I have owned 5 V 8 914s and they all seemed to run hot.
The ones that didn't were the ones that had the Ron Davis radiators installed. Two of them had the complete Renegade kit, fans, shrouding and hoses and by pass items.

Personally I think that the radiator is the one part that you should not go cheap on.
Just my $9.14 worth.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
pete
post Mar 15 2013, 09:30 AM
Post #33

I can't believe I still haven't procured the radiator yet. I was just looking at this one from Jegs and adding a couple 12" fans. Would two 12" fans cool better then say one 16"? The 12" fans I think were 1750 CFMs and the 16" was 2600.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Pro.../52000/10002/-1
+Quote Post
slothness
post Mar 15 2013, 09:52 AM
Post #34

It's business time

Member No.: 2,906
Region Association: Southern California

Don't skimp on cooling, re-read your old thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=178965&hl=

The more surface area the fans can cover the better, if you were running a taller square radiator then yes a single fan is better. If you get a short wide rad then mimic the renegade dual fan setup. They've already done the research so you don't have to.
+Quote Post
ChristopherB
post Mar 15 2013, 02:49 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 13,086
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Does the set up differ depending on the engine used in the conversion? Are all of these suggestions applicable for a subie conversion?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 15 2013, 05:12 PM
Post #36

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

As a rule of thumb: You should use a radiator with at least the same surface area as the one designed for the engine.

Most radiators are aluminum, brass and copper. This is how most factory radiators come. newer cars come with aluminum and plastic. Both of these types are good.

Better, is an all aluminum radiator. A dual pass aluminum is even better.

A good small radiator to possibly use is an aluminum dual pass Scirocco radiator. This should be ample cooling for a Subie engine.

The key to cooling is air flow. with or without fans. You need an inlet in the bumper or air dam to direct flow through the radiator. A shroud should be built to force all incoming air into the radiator. You also need the air to leave the radiator. This will require an outlet at least double the size of the inlet. This will create a low pressure area behind the radiator thus causing flow.

The most accepted practice is adding holes in the fender wells. Some flow out the bottom trunk. Care must be taken if you choose the ladder due to suspension mounting points. You could cause a structural issue by removing too much material.

I have use both methods. Both work fine. The downfall to the under car outlet comes into play on dirt roads. If you are driving slow and the fan turn on, dust will blow everywhere and into the car.

Brings us to fans. A fan(s) need to pull air from the radiator. Never try to push air through. A good analogy is trying to push a rope. It doesn't work well. You need enough fan air flow to keep the car cool while in traffic.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Sep 10 2014, 02:41 PM
Post #37

Hey all,

I've had my setup in place for a while now and have been contending with a hot running engine scenario every time I take her out for a drive. It is time to finally figure out what’s going on.

More details:

- I am using rectangular tubing for the under chassis cooling lines. They are 1” x 0.5 “and have a profile area of 0.5 square inches.

- I called Griffin because of my issue and was able to confirm that the radiator is of sufficient size and design to keep the engine running cool.

- The sales rep did mention that they prefer to place the temp sensor for the gauge in place of the radiator petcock. Mine is located in one of the intake manifold ports.

Questions:

? Am I getting a “false” reading of the temp because of where the sensor is mounted? I am pretty sure I would get a lower temp reading at the radiator versus at the intake manifold.

? What about the rectangular cooling tubes. The profile area of 0.5 square inches is much smaller than what Renegade recommends with the Gates green stripe hoses… a 1.25 inch ID hose has a profile area of 1.23 square inches and a 1.00 inch ID hose has a profile area of 0.79 square inches. The radiator actually has an inlet of 1.5 inches (1.77 sq. inches) and an outlet of 1.75 (2.41 sq. inches). Obviously, I had to use adaptors to make it all work.

? Is the smaller rectangular tubing impeding the flow of coolant to the point that it is causing the engine to run hot?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

QUOTE(pete @ Jun 22 2011, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Jun 21 2011, 07:52 PM) *

In my setup I went with a Giffin radiator, model 125241-H... no radiator cap. The dimensions are 16"x 27.5" x 3". It's installed to float in its mounts versus mounted rigidly.

I also used one of the most powerful fans ever put in a production vehicle (Google it)... an early to mid-ninties Ford Taurus/Sable fan. I think the only one more powerful (and larger) is out of a Mark VIII. Local junk yard for $20.00. Note that fan shroud covers about 90% of radiator surface... perfect! Then of course, you need to get the controller, mine is an adjustable unit.

So far so good!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This is a nice clean set up and I would be inclined to go with 1 fan rather then two as long as it keeps things cool. So you have a remote filler for the radiator? Also, those look like 2-3" hoses going through the floor. Are you running hoses that large of a diameter under the car?

+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 10 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #38

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I would think it's too small plus square tubing does not have the best flow characteristics. If it were me (and it's not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) and I had exhausted all other means I would buy some larger hose and run it the easiest, fastest route just to confirm your suspicion.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Sep 10 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #39

Did some research this evening. Found that mounting the temp sensor in the intake next to the t-stat is a good location and gives the best indication if the cooling system is working correctly. So much for what the Griffin sales rep told me. I also found out that sometimes the threaded pipe adapter that the sensor is screwed into (then screwed into the manifold) was shrouding the sensor part of the sending unit rather than placing the sensor directly in the path of coolant flow. I need to confirm whether my sensor is completely in the flow path of the coolant or if it is partially or completely shrouded by the threaded pipe adapter. Look like next will be the coolant lines themselves.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 10 2014, 04:00 PM) *

I would think it's too small plus square tubing does not have the best flow characteristics. If it were me (and it's not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) and I had exhausted all other means I would buy some larger hose and run it the easiest, fastest route just to confirm your suspicion.

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 10 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah that square tubing size sounds very small for an SBC. You could get some 1" and 1.25" electrical conduit from a local home improvement store and run it underneath if you wanted to do a relatively cheap/easy experiment...just make sure you attach it somehow if you're going to drive it around and take it easy!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 10:24 AM