Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welding - Rust Repair Questions, Easy or better ways?
wrightee
post Jun 27 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,053
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have two questions on how best to make repairs to my 75 Malaga Red project...

1st is the repair of the trunk release cable tube... has anyone "spliced" a piece of tubing in, or is it best to replace the whole thing from a donor car (have not yet checked to see if I have a good one on my donor)

Attached Image

Second question is about the trunk hinges - just noticed that they have developed cracks...can I run a weld bead along the cracks to fix, or should I remove and replace?

Attached Image

As always - thanks for input...and for keeping me inspired to get this car restored.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jun 27 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

cut the cable tube back to where you have clean material, then slide a piece of slightly larger i.d. ( press fit or slip fit )over it and tack in place. Try NAPA in the brake line section for that.

the cracks can be welded up, just keep the amps on the low side so you don't blow through. Replacing would be ideal though
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 27 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
wrightee
post Jun 27 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 27 2011, 06:32 PM) *

cut the cable tube back to where you have clean material, then slide a piece of slightly larger i.d. ( press fit or slip fit )over it and tack in place. Try NAPA in the brake line section for that.

the cracks can be welded up, just keep the amps on the low side so you don't blow through. Replacing would be ideal though

Thanks, Scotty - I really need to find some time to get down to Richmond and check out your digs...and buy me some lessons, too!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 27 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

IMHO get new hinges & replace both now, rather than welding & waiting for another crack to occur.

Front trunk release tubes are still available at the dealers & usual online sources AFAIK last time I looked, if you're trying to do a CW level resto on this. Otherwise Scotty's method will work fine for a DD, AX or Racer 914.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
wrightee
post Jun 28 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 27 2011, 08:05 PM) *

IMHO get new hinges & replace both now, rather than welding & waiting for another crack to occur.

Front trunk release tubes are still available at the dealers & usual online sources AFAIK last time I looked, if you're trying to do a CW level resto on this. Otherwise Scotty's method will work fine for a DD, AX or Racer 914.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks Tom - I will likely do the proper repair on the trunk hinges, as it won't be that much more effort to do it right, and not too expensive, either.

Its the rear trunk release tube that I have an issue with - worse rust on the car is the drivers side engine shelf (hell hole is surface rust only - no perforations)...must've had a critter make a nest on this side. Since it will be covered/hidden by the electric panel, and I'm not doing a concourse level resto, I think Scotty's recommendation will be followed for this repair.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 12:16 PM