Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding - Rust Repair Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrightee
I have two questions on how best to make repairs to my 75 Malaga Red project...

1st is the repair of the trunk release cable tube... has anyone "spliced" a piece of tubing in, or is it best to replace the whole thing from a donor car (have not yet checked to see if I have a good one on my donor)

Click to view attachment

Second question is about the trunk hinges - just noticed that they have developed cracks...can I run a weld bead along the cracks to fix, or should I remove and replace?

Click to view attachment

As always - thanks for input...and for keeping me inspired to get this car restored.
scotty b
cut the cable tube back to where you have clean material, then slide a piece of slightly larger i.d. ( press fit or slip fit )over it and tack in place. Try NAPA in the brake line section for that.

the cracks can be welded up, just keep the amps on the low side so you don't blow through. Replacing would be ideal though
McMark
agree.gif
wrightee
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 27 2011, 06:32 PM) *

cut the cable tube back to where you have clean material, then slide a piece of slightly larger i.d. ( press fit or slip fit )over it and tack in place. Try NAPA in the brake line section for that.

the cracks can be welded up, just keep the amps on the low side so you don't blow through. Replacing would be ideal though

Thanks, Scotty - I really need to find some time to get down to Richmond and check out your digs...and buy me some lessons, too!
Tom_T
IMHO get new hinges & replace both now, rather than welding & waiting for another crack to occur.

Front trunk release tubes are still available at the dealers & usual online sources AFAIK last time I looked, if you're trying to do a CW level resto on this. Otherwise Scotty's method will work fine for a DD, AX or Racer 914.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
wrightee
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 27 2011, 08:05 PM) *

IMHO get new hinges & replace both now, rather than welding & waiting for another crack to occur.

Front trunk release tubes are still available at the dealers & usual online sources AFAIK last time I looked, if you're trying to do a CW level resto on this. Otherwise Scotty's method will work fine for a DD, AX or Racer 914.

Cheers! beerchug.gif

Thanks Tom - I will likely do the proper repair on the trunk hinges, as it won't be that much more effort to do it right, and not too expensive, either.

Its the rear trunk release tube that I have an issue with - worse rust on the car is the drivers side engine shelf (hell hole is surface rust only - no perforations)...must've had a critter make a nest on this side. Since it will be covered/hidden by the electric panel, and I'm not doing a concourse level resto, I think Scotty's recommendation will be followed for this repair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.