Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6 vs 4, a different question
GeorgeRud
post Jul 1 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've owned my 914-6 since 1977, and bought myself a dismantled 914 1.7 to make a daily driver out of it (it had been painted, but then the owner lost interest in the project, so it sat for quite a few years). Once I had it back together and running, it lasted only a few weeks until I couldn't stand it and started my conversion.

A 914 with any -6 in it is fun. With a big -6, it's a rocket ship with go-kart handling.
Unless you get a nice Jake Raby 4 cylinder engine, I'd suggest going for a -6 conversion. However, once you add up all the receipts, you will see that buying one that someone else has already done will be your cheapest route.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 1 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #42

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I walked down this path last year. I wanted to build a peaky 2.4.
The idea went out of my head when my parts spreadsheet jumped past 10K and I had many more parts that would be needed still - and this was me doing all the labor. Decided to be happy with my 2056 and try to ignore all the greener grass on the other side.

Zach

+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jul 1 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I did mine for close to nothing (I never count my labor!). I was lucky enough to come by an 84 Carrera 3.2l with 65k miles on it. Ran beautifully. I got it for $8k. I parted it out for around $12k. I kept the engine, tranny, axles, wiring harness, dme, tach, speedo, front end, rear brakes, parking brakes. I then had to buy the conversion parts. All-in-all i'm close to break even. However, it takes a lot of time and effort to part a car out and sell every single piece. Last piece was the shell where the buyer came with a flat bed and we lifted it and carried it onto the trailer. Sold all of the parts (and could have many times over) on the 911 pelican board.

Now I have a screaming fast 3.2l and am using the 901. I kept the 915 tranny just in case!
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jul 1 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

Now I have a screaming fast 3.2l and am using the 901. I kept the 915 tranny just in case!

That's exactly what I'm going to do! Use the 901, put the 915 into the corner of the garage and hope I never need to use it. Maybe it'll be worth its weight in gold in the far future?
+Quote Post
RickS
post Jul 1 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

A month and a half ago my 2.0 to 3.0 was completed and I got one helluva deal getting everything the others have listed installed for $15k. I was told it was a big job, and knew after reading several posts here it would be big, but it was huge. The amount of details and special parts (sheet metal, throttle cable, tach, oil tank, oil lines, heat exchangers, and on and on) was unreal. Then after adding a big motor, then of course you need big brakes, and on and on. It's a slippery and very expensive slope, so be prepared to shell out a lot qof cabbage.

was it worth it? He'll ya. The car positively screams and runs with the hot rod early 911s without breathing hard. But I certainly wasn't ready for the cost.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 05:04 PM