Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 vs 4, a different question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
I had never had the chance to drive a 911 or a 914/6 before.
I now own a 3.2 carerra cab...and I must say its an impressive motor.
Quiet...no valve rap is the first thing that gets me smiling.
Second is that it has more power than I have found road to use safely.
Sure I run it up in second or third....but I never push it all the way through 5th...

So, I love the torque...what a refreshing difference.
The support for parts is very strong, and the fuel injection is simple and still quite fixable.

So, if I budget 5-8k for a type 4 monster...
OR
5-8k for an installed and running 3.2 or 3.6 motor.

Can the 6 be done for that?
I do all my own work...so labor is free.

If I could find a 4k motor, that would do the trick..I keep seeing them for 5-8k just for the motor....that is to much for me to make this leap...
a 5-8k type 4 motor would also make me smile alot...

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
Try 10-12K, on a budget with long wait times for "just the right deals'" to come along.

BTDT, with a $3K motor, more than once.
SirAndy
There are deals out there, but they are hard to come by.

$4k for a good motor might be a stretch ...
popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
I say you go 4 cyl or go water cooled.

Pushing a 6 conversion isnt going to be in that price range.. How much did Trekkor do his for?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 29 2011, 02:41 PM) *
How much did Trekkor do his for?

I think he paid $1500 for his motor. You can wait years for a deal like that to come by ...

shades.gif
Andyrew
I know smile.gif

I just remember he did it for a record low number.

He had to rebuild his motor after a couple of seasons no? (Wait, he went bigger right?)
r_towle
4k for a motor that needs head gaskets?
The early 3.6 liter ones?

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2011, 03:14 PM) *
4k for a motor that needs head gaskets?
The early 3.6 liter ones?

A running 3.6L is in the $8k range. I've never seen one for $4k. chowtime.gif
mepstein
Even if the engine is free:
oil lines
oil tank
engine sheetmetal
engine mount
fuel lines
engine wire harness
throttle linkage
headers
exhaust
911 fuel pump
911 starter
911 tach
911 oil guage
misc hardware
misc mods

might need carbs or DME
fan shroud on 3.2
clutch & flywheel
gaskets and seals
aux oil cooler
stronger CV's
bigger brakes
ect.

$5K +++ in parts

Just my opinion. Mark
patssle
Timing can affect the price. Also, what you already have or don't have. I'm in the middle of a conversion and I saved a few bunch through group buys on the engine tin and oil tank - and a Christmas sale for headers.

3.2 or 3.6 might jack the price up though, would you stick with the 901 or need to convert to a 915? I'm staying with the 901 with my 3.0L. That's about its limit (and I'll still have to be careful).
SirAndy
QUOTE(patssle @ Jun 29 2011, 03:27 PM) *
would you stick with the 901 or need to convert to a 915? I'm staying with the 901 with my 3.0L. That's about its limit

I tend to dis-agree. I've been running a stock 901 behind my 3.6L for several years now. So far, no problems at all.

bye1.gif
mepstein
I'm using a 3.2/901 combo. 901 trans is light, cheap and pretty much a bolt on.
jmill
I'll have 15k easy into my engine conversion before it's done. That includes over 4k for new p/c's. You could minus that if you don't need them. Chances are an engine that doesn't need them will cost you 4k more. Sad to say that cost is just to put in a peppy 2.4.
MDG
I paid $6750 for my 3.2 which had 32,000 kms (a little less than 20k mi.). The engine was complete and came with full harness, DME, all of the sensors etc.

Any I've seen up here for under $5k are 100k+ engines. And the parts for these are not cheap when you start replacing things like injectors (around $400 ea.) fuel rails/lines on the engine and so on.

It may or may not surprise you that the 3.2 engine already has NLA components . . . dry.gif
avidfanjpl
I have Thomases 2.2L and it has cost me 500 on top of the purchase price to get the Zenith's redone.

I will eventually punch it out to a larger size, but getting it running is the first priority.

I think I am like you. I need a big motor and a BIG push. I have had nothing but 2.0L Type IV's and I have a 97 Infiniti G35, and it hauls ass in 0-60.

5.4 seconds is the published speed. I think it is faster.

I think you can do a larger aircooled 6 for 6-7K minimum, but everyone else here is right, double that number you pay for the engine to get it into a 914 properly.

I had a 6 conversion that I sold overseas, and it was 6K, and I knew I needed another 10K to make it right. I punted and sold it, and got the car Thomas built. I am just finishing The Dark Knight, and it is about 5K just to make it an AX car. I am not going to do high speed events. Too much fiberglass and I am not fond of cages. Just want a go kart with nothing but cones to dodge.

Good luck, and do not lose heart! Do what you say you will, and although we all know someone on here that did a conversion, very few discount the experience.

I am thrilled just to have a 914 that has a 6 stuffed in it.

We do need to count our blessings in aircooled terms.

pray.gif

John
Elliot Cannon
WTF.gif Everyone wants a sweet deal but no one wants this one. Go figure? confused24.gif That's OK though. Till I sell it I still get to drive it every week. laugh.gif driving.gif
John
Here is what I did to do mine on the cheap......

I started making parts.

I made engine sheet metal. Sold maybe 7 sets.

I made distributor side block off plates. Sold 20+ or more.

I made engine mounts. Sold 5-6 of those.

I also sold off my unused parts to offset the costs of other parts like:

Oil Tank
Headers
Flywheel/clutch

I made other parts and scoured the internet for bits and pieces. (Pelican was a good source for 911 front ends, brakes, rear hubs, e-brake conversion parts, and other bits)

I also sold off the stock 911 3.2 exhaust and the stock 3.2 engine sheet metal. (Pelican is also a good place to sell off parts you no longer need)

I paid $6500 for a good solid 3.2 with a 90 day warranty from a salvage yard. It was complete with harnesses, tach, fuel pump, fuel lines, and I had them throw in some other good parts (coarse splined trans output flanges, etc.)

I did all my own work and I have a tally sheet that says that after buying and selling parts my installed 3.2 cost just under $4k.

I started my conversion in February 06' and was driving it in June 06'.
John
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 29 2011, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ Jun 29 2011, 03:27 PM) *
would you stick with the 901 or need to convert to a 915? I'm staying with the 901 with my 3.0L. That's about its limit

I tend to dis-agree. I've been running a stock 901 behind my 3.6L for several years now. So far, no problems at all.

bye1.gif

I brought this up in another thread, and they really didn't want to hear it.......

rktmn247
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 29 2011, 04:57 PM) *

WTF.gif Everyone wants a sweet deal but no one wants this one. Go figure? confused24.gif That's OK though. Till I sell it I still get to drive it every week. laugh.gif driving.gif

For me it is not a question of want. I just don't have the funds. I love that car! You are a lucky man and I think the next owner will be also.
brant
you'd be a lot safer planning on 10 for the conversion process

I know trekkor was convinced that he could do it for 4k
I argued with him during the process.
he ended up re-doing much of his work
remember his motor mount broke twice and most of his other "rigged" attempts ended up braking also.

so I still don't think its a 4K job as I told him at the time.
I think he dropped many thousands more after he got the $4,000 version running and was faced with all of the cut corners. Plus the cheap oil thanks and 1500 motors have all gone away since that time.

brant
MoveQik
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 30 2011, 05:23 AM) *

I would agree with Brant. Even if you did all the work yourself, I think $4k is unrealistic. If you are lucky like John, perhaps you can sell parts to offset some of the cost. I don't know of anyone lately that has purchased a good, strong 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 for less than the $5-8k prices that you mentioned.

Just for fun, try and come up with an "all inclusive" list of parts that you MUST have to do the conversion. Then start shopping around and see what you would pay if you had to buy them today. No cheating....don't say, "I can find it cheaper if I look for a deal" Write down the price as of today and add it all up. I think you be shocked at how quickly it adds up.

You can start with Mark's list but I am sure there is more!
Randal
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 29 2011, 07:57 PM) *

You have a wonderful car, but don't take lack of interest personally.

Did you see what Bill P. finally got for The Beast, also a great car, built from the ground up with all the right stuff?

Race car prices are worse than this economy at present.

JmuRiz
My budget spreadsheet is looking like $7k for the conversion parts and engine...and selling off the 4-cyl stuff and CIS for around $2500...so I guess it'll be possible to do the conversion for around 4500-5000 total.

Then again my engine is the unloved 2.7 that I got a deal on and will slap some known-good carbs on it.
I'd LOVE to have a 3.2, but having a total of under 3500 into what I have now (motor/fuel delivery) it's hard to think of spending 2500-3000 more for a nice 3.2.

I have a feeling I'll go maybe $1k over that number...but one can dream.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 30 2011, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 29 2011, 07:57 PM) *

You have a wonderful car, but don't take lack of interest personally.

Did you see what Bill P. finally got for The Beast, also a great car, built from the ground up with all the right stuff?

Race car prices are worse than this economy at present.

It's not personal. I understand the economy plays a huge factor. My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I truly do understand why the car hasn't sold yet and I'm cool with it.
The decision people need to make is, buy a car already done or buy the parts piece by piece and make the car the way YOU want it not what someone else wanted. That's in fact what I'm doing with my other car and I think that way might even be more fun than buying a car already done. If you put the car together yourself, you also have the advantage of knowing the car inside and out and it will be much easier to maintain it in the future. You know... When it breaks down in the desert coming home from a Rout 66 tour. av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 30 2011, 10:09 AM) *

I would agree with Brant. Even if you did all the work yourself, I think $4k is unrealistic. If you are lucky like John, perhaps you can sell parts to offset some of the cost. I don't know of anyone lately that has purchased a good, strong 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 for less than the $5-8k prices that you mentioned.

Just for fun, try and come up with an "all inclusive" list of parts that you MUST have to do the conversion. Then start shopping around and see what you would pay if you had to buy them today. No cheating....don't say, "I can find it cheaper if I look for a deal" Write down the price as of today and add it all up. I think you be shocked at how quickly it adds up.

agree.gif My list was just off the top of my head. There is more needed to complete. Spedo sensor, O2 sensor, other dme parts, oil fittings, ect. and the "while you are there stuff" Just the GT style oil cooler setup is 2K when all is said and done.
Randal
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 30 2011, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 30 2011, 10:09 AM) *

agree.gif My list was just off the top of my head. There is more needed to complete. Spedo sensor, O2 sensor, other dme parts, oil fittings, ect. and the "while you are there stuff" Just the GT style oil cooler setup is 2K when all is said and done.

Yea, I'll second that. When we were building The Beast Earl's Plumbing, Summit Racing, High Performance House and other vendors were very happy with all the "stuff" needed to complete a build.
patssle
I don't know of anyone lately that has purchased a good, strong 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 for less than the $5-8k prices that you mentioned.

I picked up an entire 911 car for $6k with a good 3.0L (as far as I know, of course). Most of the interior was missing, but it was drive-able and I drove it 150 miles home.

I also got in on the group buys for the oil tank and engine metal. Then a Christmas sale on MSDS headers. Found some Weber carbs for $300 in a garage sale and got them rebuilt and jetted, with PMO manifolds my entire carb conversion will be around $1500. Same clutch from the /4 can be used, just need a new flywheel.

There are deals out there, just gotta look and sometimes be lucky. I think my /6 conversion will be 4 digits in $$ (once I sell the rest of the 911 and /4 parts). If it's more, I don't really care - to buy a new sports car these days you're looking at 30k+.
mepstein
Many 3.2's have cracked fan shrouds. Mine did. OEM is NLA from anyone. even used gets top dollar and no warrenty they won't fail as well. Vertex sells new castings for $600. Ask a rep nicely and you can get one for 500 inc shipping.

Fuel injector cleaning $20x6
Heavier rear springs
H 5th gear
911 intermediate plate

I wanted heat-
SS heat exchangers $2500
heat ducts for engine 120
new hose

Add in a couple hundred for u haul rentals.
John
I suppose that I should confess that this was not my FIRST conversion, and I have been wrenching on 914's for more than 20 years, and that I am accustomed to fabricating what I need and patiently build my collection piece by piece.

Currently, I am collecting for my 930 engine to put into a DE 914. My shell was free, the engine was removed from my 930 (I swapped motors in that), I have a 915 to mate to it (with a Vellios kit).

I do need time to put it all together and I have yet to figure out how best to fabricate an exhaust for the beast.

Patience is a big key to good deals.
Mike Bellis
Your best bet is a place like Parts Heaven. I almost bought a salvaged 911 2.7 for $4k once. The car was a driver. You can get a motor and part it out to pay for the rest of your needs.
patssle
QUOTE(John @ Jun 30 2011, 05:57 PM) *

I suppose that I should confess that this was not my FIRST conversion, and I have been wrenching on 914's for more than 20 years, and that I am accustomed to fabricating what I need and patiently build my collection piece by piece.

What machine did you use to fabricate your block off plates?
mepstein
I'm a big fan of placing a WTB on pelican classified-or any classified for that matter. You set your terms and sellers come to you. You don't have to be 1st to a deal, just be the one to ask for it. There are plenty of sellers who want easy and no hassle over top dollar and they don't want tons of phone calls from flakey tire kickers. You have nothing to loose by asking.
PRS914-6
I hate to discourage people but your price is very optimistic. By the time you get engine, oil tank and hoses, coolers, exhaust, wiring, gauges, clutch, conversion parts and not to mention all the small stuff your wallet will be crippled. Take a look at the August Excellence Magazine and you will see actual numbers I published regarding costs. The prices may scare you right into a Kia ohmy.gif Whatever actual numbers you come up with, add 20% for the unknown and you will be close

The article is on line Project 914 3.6 Part 18
John
QUOTE(patssle @ Jun 30 2011, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Jun 30 2011, 05:57 PM) *

What machine did you use to fabricate your block off plates?

Machine?

I used a plasma cutter to cut out sheet metal from a pattern, a hammer to form into shape, a welder to weld it up, a hand punch to punch holes.......

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Twise
I have 10 or 11K in my engine swap. I bought a totaled 1971 911S in San Fran. I paid 3000.00. The owner was a friend and long time customer so he gave it to me for the salvage cost. I got the motor with webers, the fuchs and a few other goodies. I sold the rolling chassis for 2500.00. I thought I was ahead of the game. The engine was built by a trusted source, but I still topped 3500.00 having it re-built. BTDT - YOU WILL SPEND 10K OR MORE DOING THIS SWAP...

btw - I am about to drop 1600.00 to have my webers rebuilt. The hits just keep coming.

There comes a point when you just know you will never get the money back out of the car. I recently thought of selling my car, but changed my mind when I saw what it would fetch. My family owns and operates a collision shop in Ca. and even with the savings I picked up there, I have over 30K into my car. There is a reason that most of us spend years with our cars on jack stands. Money, time and distractions from every day life.

However, my car is truly my car and there is not one other 914 on the road that is its twin. That makes it all worth while. Good luck man...
brp986s
I had most of a 3.2 laying around. Figured rather than sell 1 part/month for the next 10 yrs I'd just go ahead and complete it. All I needed was P/C and some odds and ends. Couldn't resist the Mahle Motorsports. Having those, well you don't want to jeopardize them with old studs and tensioners. Forgot about the missing fan, alt, housing. Etc etc... Next thing you know I got more into completing this "essentially complete" engine than you're planning for your whole project. Ironic thing is, I've made a 1/3 of it back in Porsche stock in the last 3 months.
gandalf_025
Since I have never driven any 4, Stock or Built.. I guess I'd have to drive or at least ride in most of the possibilities, 4 and 6 before throwing down some hard earned cash to build one. Would hate to find out after the fact what I was missing ?? Or could have had for X number of dollars more or less.....

Then again, I haven't driven my own car since 86, so what do I know ??
VaccaRabite
A 914 with a 4 and a 914 with a 6 are two very different things. When you have gotten used to a 4, a 6 feels like someone strapped on rocket packs.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 1 2011, 06:20 PM) *

A 914 with a 4 and a 914 with a 6 are two very different things. When you have gotten used to a 4, a 6 feels like someone strapped on rocket packs.

Zach

agree.gif I was planning on reusing my 2.0/4 until I drove a 3.2/6.
r_towle
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 1 2011, 05:45 PM) *

Since I have never driven any 4, Stock or Built.. I guess I'd have to drive or at least ride in most of the possibilities, 4 and 6 before throwing down some hard earned cash to build one. Would hate to find out after the fact what I was missing ?? Or could have had for X number of dollars more or less.....

Then again, I haven't driven my own car since 86, so what do I know ??

To funny....
So, set me up...make me drink from the 6 well of power.

I have time...winter project is my plan.
Still trying to get this 911 running right...
I have fallen in love with the 3.2 power plant...but I know how my brain works and I will want more power.
Building my own motor will do the trick...a 3.4 would be nice...

Rich
GeorgeRud
I've owned my 914-6 since 1977, and bought myself a dismantled 914 1.7 to make a daily driver out of it (it had been painted, but then the owner lost interest in the project, so it sat for quite a few years). Once I had it back together and running, it lasted only a few weeks until I couldn't stand it and started my conversion.

A 914 with any -6 in it is fun. With a big -6, it's a rocket ship with go-kart handling.
Unless you get a nice Jake Raby 4 cylinder engine, I'd suggest going for a -6 conversion. However, once you add up all the receipts, you will see that buying one that someone else has already done will be your cheapest route.
VaccaRabite
I walked down this path last year. I wanted to build a peaky 2.4.
The idea went out of my head when my parts spreadsheet jumped past 10K and I had many more parts that would be needed still - and this was me doing all the labor. Decided to be happy with my 2056 and try to ignore all the greener grass on the other side.

Zach

jim912928
I did mine for close to nothing (I never count my labor!). I was lucky enough to come by an 84 Carrera 3.2l with 65k miles on it. Ran beautifully. I got it for $8k. I parted it out for around $12k. I kept the engine, tranny, axles, wiring harness, dme, tach, speedo, front end, rear brakes, parking brakes. I then had to buy the conversion parts. All-in-all i'm close to break even. However, it takes a lot of time and effort to part a car out and sell every single piece. Last piece was the shell where the buyer came with a flat bed and we lifted it and carried it onto the trailer. Sold all of the parts (and could have many times over) on the 911 pelican board.

Now I have a screaming fast 3.2l and am using the 901. I kept the 915 tranny just in case!
patssle
Now I have a screaming fast 3.2l and am using the 901. I kept the 915 tranny just in case!

That's exactly what I'm going to do! Use the 901, put the 915 into the corner of the garage and hope I never need to use it. Maybe it'll be worth its weight in gold in the far future?
RickS
A month and a half ago my 2.0 to 3.0 was completed and I got one helluva deal getting everything the others have listed installed for $15k. I was told it was a big job, and knew after reading several posts here it would be big, but it was huge. The amount of details and special parts (sheet metal, throttle cable, tach, oil tank, oil lines, heat exchangers, and on and on) was unreal. Then after adding a big motor, then of course you need big brakes, and on and on. It's a slippery and very expensive slope, so be prepared to shell out a lot qof cabbage.

was it worth it? He'll ya. The car positively screams and runs with the hot rod early 911s without breathing hard. But I certainly wasn't ready for the cost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.