Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More tire talk and kudo's to Discount Tire
rick 918-S
post Jun 30 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Discount Tire just put in a new store here. I needed tires for the Enkei 92's I had powder coated for the Ravenna car. Going by what seems to be the popular choice for tires I had them install some Dunlap 205/50/15's.

These tires look very short on the wheels. They really don't fit in the wheel wells. They look like roller skate tires. 50 series tires may be best for AX cars but I drive long distance. I have been torn over what to do about it. I stopped into the tire store and asked the sales guy if they would consider letting me get 60 series tires since these have not even been on the ground yet. They sales guy told me they would make sure I was happy with the tires. What ever that means, I'm bringing them back and getting a 60 series tire. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyone else ever had this experience with tire selection?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Jun 30 2011, 07:34 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

Hello Rick....You're right about the 205 50 15 tires. You may be aware of the tire size calculation on this site but if not go here:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tirecalc.php
This helps to find a size more compatable with the original speedo.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 30 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #3

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Actually... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I didn't know we had that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I'm going to have to consult the tire guys and see if they have an opinion on the sidewall stiffness with a 65 series radial. I doubt there is a way to get a tire that is good for highway trips and still can preform at the AX course. I may just have to get a second set of tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Jun 30 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #4

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I run 50's at the track for AX and 60's for long drives. I do have 2 sets of wheels.

1. The 50's do not fit normally inside the wheel wells in the rear. I had my rear well lips professionally slow rolled. No paint loss.

2. The 60's are taller, more narrow, and give a nice easy ride.

3. If you really are going to just do long driving, don't go above 140 on the springs.

Good luck!

John
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 30 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Rick--

Going through the same thing--the 205/60's look much different on the car than the 50's do...

While the 50's look like rubber bands around the rim, they're fantastic if you're going auto-x'ing...get a second set of wheels for that.

The 60 series tires look more 'correct' in the wheel well and are a pretty good compromise between the tall stockers and the wide low profiles.

I'd posted a thread asking members best 205/60's recently and got some decent responses--there's a few good tire out there in that size, Discount carries most of them. The favorites seem to be the Goodyears, BFG's and the Potenza's.

Here's a picture of mine with 60's on it, I think they look good and are a great size for street...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 30 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

205/60/15 Mounted on Fuch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 12:08 AM