Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More tire talk and kudo's to Discount Tire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Discount Tire just put in a new store here. I needed tires for the Enkei 92's I had powder coated for the Ravenna car. Going by what seems to be the popular choice for tires I had them install some Dunlap 205/50/15's.

These tires look very short on the wheels. They really don't fit in the wheel wells. They look like roller skate tires. 50 series tires may be best for AX cars but I drive long distance. I have been torn over what to do about it. I stopped into the tire store and asked the sales guy if they would consider letting me get 60 series tires since these have not even been on the ground yet. They sales guy told me they would make sure I was happy with the tires. What ever that means, I'm bringing them back and getting a 60 series tire. I'll keep you guys posted.

Anyone else ever had this experience with tire selection?
pilothyer
Hello Rick....You're right about the 205 50 15 tires. You may be aware of the tire size calculation on this site but if not go here:
http://www.914world.com/specs/tirecalc.php
This helps to find a size more compatable with the original speedo.
rick 918-S
Actually... unsure.gif I didn't know we had that. confused24.gif I'm going to have to consult the tire guys and see if they have an opinion on the sidewall stiffness with a 65 series radial. I doubt there is a way to get a tire that is good for highway trips and still can preform at the AX course. I may just have to get a second set of tires. idea.gif
avidfanjpl
I run 50's at the track for AX and 60's for long drives. I do have 2 sets of wheels.

1. The 50's do not fit normally inside the wheel wells in the rear. I had my rear well lips professionally slow rolled. No paint loss.

2. The 60's are taller, more narrow, and give a nice easy ride.

3. If you really are going to just do long driving, don't go above 140 on the springs.

Good luck!

John
eric9144
Rick--

Going through the same thing--the 205/60's look much different on the car than the 50's do...

While the 50's look like rubber bands around the rim, they're fantastic if you're going auto-x'ing...get a second set of wheels for that.

The 60 series tires look more 'correct' in the wheel well and are a pretty good compromise between the tall stockers and the wide low profiles.

I'd posted a thread asking members best 205/60's recently and got some decent responses--there's a few good tire out there in that size, Discount carries most of them. The favorites seem to be the Goodyears, BFG's and the Potenza's.

Here's a picture of mine with 60's on it, I think they look good and are a great size for street...
Click to view attachment
eric9144
205/60/15 Mounted on Fuch smile.gif
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.