Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I crazy?
Scott S
post Jun 18 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

After hearing Mr Zois' new car, watching Rich build the alien, seeing the new guy with the white conversion (I cant believe I am going to say this) I have really been drawn to a V8 conversion. I know the sound quality wasn't great, but I did not expect the purple car to sound that smooth and, quite frankly, pissed off. The Martini car has a nicely built 4 banger in it - it runs strong. As you all have seen in my posts, I have tried so hard to make it "right" - (I have even recently been shopping around - thinking of replacing my new Renegade seats with Konig or Scheel) - but it is still a 4 banger. If I were to do an install that was in keeping with how clean the car is currently, would it make it any less of a car?

Man, I am really digging these V8 cars.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 18 2004, 10:40 AM
Post #2

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Been wondering the same stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Not so much would it make my car less of a car, since mine is nowhere near the same league as Scott's, but as a general principal, ya can't help but wonder. Further, is there a loss of the handling greatness we all love so much about these cars with the addition of all the weight?

Waiting with baited breasts to hear the experience of others. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jun 18 2004, 11:38 AM
Post #3

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

I too have been thinking the same. I plan to start collecting parts, and when my 4 finally gives up the ghost, I'm going to convert. From what I have read, depending on what engine you use, the weight isn't much more than a 4, probably comparable to a 6. If you use a small block chebby with aluminum heads, I think it's right around the same weight as a 6. Get an aluminum block, and you're probably getting pretty light.

Plus, they're easy and cheap to work on. Almost everybody knows how to work on a 350. Having around 300 reliable horse power would be that cats ass! If you do it, take lots of pictures so you can show me how!
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jun 18 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #4

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

What's the main reason you guys are considering an 8, versus a 6?

just more power? or is the Cost a big factor also?

just curious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 18 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Were our own best salesmen. Nothing in life comes easy or cheap. Scot if you touch the Martini car I'll!!!..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Well maybe I won't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Buy a roller and start over. Do the 5 bolt, the brakes, the hell holes, the paint, the conversion. and have two of the best cars ever. I can't give you a fair comparison. I don't really remember what my 4 cylinder drove like. All I remember is I couldn't shift it, it would stop, and the stock injected 1.7 had very little performance.

I installed new bushings in the shift linkage, still couldn't shift it. A clutch adjustment took care of that.

The brakes are way better with BMW 4 pots and a "T" fitting. I have brake dust on my rear wheels!

The 300+ hp "S" motor fixed the lazy hp problem but I'm not sure it didn't create some new ones. We'll see..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 18 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Scott, if you replace the renegade seats, call me first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I may know a good home for them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jun 18 2004, 01:29 PM
Post #7

neo life

Member No.: 159

I decided GM V8 in the late 70's because it was a new idea and made practical sense. Now it is a very developed conversion and many people have done them. The brute power in a well built 400hp V8 914 is intoxicating.

I'm actually leaning to newer technology like the Boxster motor conversion that Jason has started...
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 18 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Jun 18 2004, 12:40 PM)

just more power?   or is the Cost a big factor also?

Si', Mas. Mucho Mas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) As much as I love the way my 1.7 runs lately, I get tired of eating dust from the average grocery getter at every stop.

My unconsidered uninformed knee jerk thought has been if I'm gonna make the swap, I should get the most power I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

If, on the other hand, there is a benefit to going 6 instead of 8, I'd think about that too. I guess those are the sorts of things I'd like to hear about from those who know.

The 300+ hp "S" motor fixed the lazy hp problem but I'm not sure it didn't create some new ones. We'll see.....

See, now that would bring me WAY down. Spend all that time any $ and then be disappointed with the results, I'd be goofey pissed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 18 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I'm actually leaning to newer technology like the Boxster motor conversion that Jason has started...

If you ever decide that you want to do that, You can drop off your v8 conversion package at my door! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Andrew
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jun 18 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #10

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

seems like the complaints about doing the 8 are that it's a heavier package.

and now your 914 is powered by a chebby (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Jun 18 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #11

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Jun 18 2004, 10:40 AM)

just more power? or is the Cost a big factor also?

just curious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

For me cost is the biggest factor. Plus, I recall Brad saying after driving an 8 that he didn't know why anybody would do a 6 conversion when the 8s are cheaper and more powerful, or something like that anyway. I figure that pretty much everything Brad says is gospel, and I'm cheap. Those are my two reasons.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 18 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

and now your 914 is powered by a chebby  

Makes the car heavyer.. yes.. Nothing a little fiberglass bumpers, trunks, and striping the car cant fix!

A 914 is powered by a chebby is better than powered by a vw!

Andrew
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 18 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Man, I am really digging these V8 cars....

if you are on the fence...then DO NOT drive one !!!! .....it's like crack and you will be hooked...

Carlberg,

I "think" I got the Megasquirt figured out, it could have been something as simple as not washing off the residual flux off of the board, I'll find out this weekend when I attept to install it on the car.

......you can install a running junk yard Chevy 350 out of an old station wagon that only cost a few hundred bucks and it'll be a total blast to drive....

hands down, the V8 conversion is the best-bang-4-the-buck to double your horsepower (at a minimum) ...yes, one can spend thousands or even 10's of thousands of dollars on a V8 conversion, but the starting point is the cheapest to get into...........best of all, if done correctly, it's a reversible conversion, but I doubt many will give it for another /4 or a /6

If you ever decide that you want to do that, You can drop off your v8 conversion package at my door

I'm srue he could drop it off to you this weekend.....cash talks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 18 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

do you know who is "complaining" ???

the people that DO NOT OWN a converted car or that ever driven a properly built or sorted out one............
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 18 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 18 2004, 01:55 PM)
A 914 is powered by a chebby is better than powered by a vw!

Ohhhhhh,

Thems fightn words round here!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jun 18 2004, 03:00 PM
Post #16

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Lucky enough to have both a 2.0 injected four and a box stock 350. This is all subjective, of course. 350 is heavier, but not by much. Weight distribution about the same, as any weight added to middle rear is compensated by radiator and coolant up front.

Biggest difference? Both cars 'set' about the same way entering a turn: initial understeer transitioning to corrective (and then some) oversteer with throttle. But the V8 carries its weight much higher, so esses require more planning than the 4. My V8 just doesn't 'toss' as well.

But all 914's are easy to drive. A type IV is easier to drive faster longer than an 8, but the 8 sure gets your attention exiting the turn. The sound?. Except for an F1 shriek or 12 cylinder Italian opera, I think a small block V8 on the pipe is the best. 360 Modenas and 57 FI Corvettes play great tunes. Don't want to get drummed out of the club, but aircooled 4's sound like aircooled 4's. All but a few 6's sound like they are grinding coffee.

As was said, every town has an SBC guru who does not charge $100 per hour, and a whole new engine costs $1200 from Mr. Goodwrench. And you now are accepted in every group, from non PCA Porsches to steet rods to Harley's. Ricers gasp. Everyone will think you're crazy to drive one of these.

my .02
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jun 18 2004, 03:04 PM
Post #17

2270 club

Member No.: 218

It seems like the "problem" with the V8 conversion is the transmission. Our 901s are weak. To do it right, you need to go with the 930 turbo transmission which adds on another $6K to the project.

One of the nicest v8 conversions I've seen had a buick/rover 215ci aluminum block. The other way to go would be to build a high reving v8 specifically for a 914 - that wouldn't be cheap.

In the end a v8 or flat 6 conversion will cost close to the same but the v8 will have gobs more power and will probably be a new engine whereas your six will be an 80K mile engine from a donor car.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 18 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

To do it right, you need to go with the 930 turbo

i think this is misleading and could be said as well if one puts a big /6 in thier car they "have to have" a 915 or a 930 gear box....it's all about how you drive.......the size of the tires make a differance as well...skinny tires could be considered a "saftey" item since they will break loose instead of transmitting too much of a load on the transmisson

the stock transmissions will work if care is taken....just because you have a V8 in the car does not mean that every single time you take off from a stop light you are going to dump the clutch at 6000 rpm.

what is nice with these conversions (and I guess the same could be said with a /6) is that you could always start off with just the very basics and when time/money is available, you can upgrade. There seems to be no shortage of people willing to buy used conversion parts.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jun 18 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #19

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Stock trannies will work but the gearing is way wrong. You don't want to be cruising down the freeway at 4K rpms with a v8. My point is that a v8 conversion is not a cheap conversion. Sure you can do a V8 cheap with junkyard parts but I think the quality of the parts in the end will reflect the quality of the ride. Either way you'll end up spending a lot of money. You'll just have tons more power with a v8.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jun 18 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #20

neo life

Member No.: 159

If you ever decide that you want to do that, You can drop off your v8 conversion package at my door!  

Andrew,
I will start with another 914, not my Chalon bodied 914. I already have many ideas to redesign and update the body where my interest/talent lies. I'll let Jason (and Brad) sort out the Boxster conversion details...
Felix
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 10:20 AM