Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> malaga_red75 Paint thread, by Andyrew, The End! Pictures page 9
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 02:02 AM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Peter's (malaga_red75) awesome subaru conversion is now in for paint! This thread will be very similar to my thread in layout and I will go into detail about how and when everything takes place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Peter will be helping me as much as he can as we are trying to work towards a 2 month deadline.

Here is his really nice conversion! I must say the radiator setup looks awesome!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=85845

Here it is as delivered.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Attached Image
Attached Image

When Peter left I decided to get working on it to see what I had to work with. Started @ 8:30pm, finished @ 11:30am. 3 total hours

Not pictured, but I removed the trim along the front window. Then I filled the antenna hole

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
As I was grinding the hole down, I could see that there had been some repair to this area before where someone had gone to metal with the car and used a skim layer of filler over the car. It looks like good work, and in fact there is only that layer of filler, then a basecoat/clearcoat, then in some area's primer over that (probably from dents as I can see in Peters subaru swap thread), and then obviously the rattle can primer.

Attached Image
Removed the headlight as well, Picture is for refference on wiring.

Attached Image
There is a little bump on the edge of the door, I cant get behind it with a dolly, so this will probably have to be fixed with the door off the car.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 02:19 AM
Post #5

Spooling.... Please wait

And then it had only been just over an hour so I spent some time getting the fender down. I used 180 grit, and on some area's where there was either chips or rust bubbles I went down to 80 grit. These will either get glazing filler or primer filler.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

This fender is now ready for primer epoxy, It doesnt look like it needs any filler or even primer filler, So it'll be a thick layer of primer epoxy then we'll shoot primer sealer near bodycolor right before spraying color.

The whole car seems pretty straight except for the pass rear, which has an oilcanning issue in the front large section of it. I'll probably have to get the torch out for it and read up on the tricks to get rid of it. I'll detail this problem area later.
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Jul 2 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #6

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

Member No.: 5,674
Region Association: None

Very excited about this!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 2 2011, 09:23 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Now would be the time to roll the fenders rather than just before you're getting ready to spray (like me)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jul 2 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #8

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

I'll be watching this thread, yours had great pictured updates of the progress.

Can I talk you into painting our new vw pick up we just got?? very straight and original paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mike
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Mike,

You certainly can, but I have a full plate on other cars, so if you dont mind waiting maybe a year then ya! Send me a PM on when you are thinking and I'll send you the details on $$

Panelbilly, We will be rolling the rears at least, (However someone cut the lip off very professionally, I'll get a pic of it)

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 2 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Cool! I'll be watching this one too. I think he did a great job building the subie. I'm glad all the cooling issues are dealt with.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Not as good of a day as I had hoped in terms of time frame, but I did get enough done for me to be happy with the day. I had a 4 hour detour in the middle of the day delivering some wheels. That and I had expeced my fiance to return home sooner than she is (and she didnt keep me informed), so I stopped earlier than I really wanted.

Lets start with the morning push.
Worked on the door and rear fender for about an hour then had to leave.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Started up again and worked for about 2 hours then I got hungry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Spooling.... Please wait

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

A LOT more nicks than I thought there would be, a couple of scratches, ect. Scratches, dings, and chips were brought down to metal or to the end of the chip/scratch with 80 grit, then the area's around were feathered.

Next step is epoxy primer, and then i'll fill the low spots.

Attached Image
Here is a pic of the rear fender lip that was trimmed.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 2 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #14

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 2 2011, 09:49 PM) *

......That and I had expeced my fiance to return home sooner than she is (and she didnt keep me informed), so I stopped earlier than I really wanted.

I hope you're good wit dat. Cuzn youz signin up for it. Long term. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Or youz best be puttin' down some rulz fast like.
Just teasin'.

Seriously, nice work 'rew. Part of me is wishing you would finish the massaging of the flares pure metal. I love the Bontempi style bulges, and thought it was cool you stretched the metal that way early on. Would you try that again?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Rand,

She was out with her friends at Great America so she was probably on rides and such (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would attempt those flares, but they just take so many hours. I think its less time consuming to cut the tops of the flares and then fill in extra metal and shape from there.

If time was no object, ya I would love to try it out. Maybe on my next 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (Because I doubt someone will pay my labor rate @ 20-40 hours per fender...)
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Jul 5 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #16

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 2 2011, 11:46 AM) *

Mike,

You certainly can, but I have a full plate on other cars, so if you dont mind waiting maybe a year then ya! Send me a PM on when you are thinking and I'll send you the details on $$

Panelbilly, We will be rolling the rears at least, (However someone cut the lip off very professionally, I'll get a pic of it)

I am still kind of new to the 'rolling the fenders' idea. Could you guys post some pics and methods of how you rolled your fender? I'd love to see what it looks like.. also, what size tire/wheel are you running under there.

My main reason for rolling th fender would be to fit a 195 (or 205 if possible) on the VW offset empi look-a-like wheels.

lets see what you got!!

-Peter
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jul 5 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #17

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jul 5 2011, 08:35 AM) *

Mike,

I am still kind of new to the 'rolling the fenders' idea. Could you guys post some pics and methods of how you rolled your fender? I'd love to see what it looks like.. also, what size tire/wheel are you running under there.

My main reason for rolling th fender would be to fit a 195 (or 205 if possible) on the VW offset empi look-a-like wheels.

lets see what you got!!

-Peter

Peter,

Attached are some pictures of the 3.6 with rolled fenders. It's slightly widened and you can definitely fit more tire in there, while still maintaining a very stock look. you can only tell it's been widened if your pretty familiar with the car and look closely. This specific car was done using the 'baseball bat' method.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Jul 5 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #18

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 5 2011, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jul 5 2011, 08:35 AM) *

Mike,

lets see what you got!!

-Peter

Peter,

Attached are some pictures of the 3.6 with rolled fenders. It's slightly widened and you can definitely fit more tire in there, while still maintaining a very stock look. you can only tell it's been widened if your pretty familiar with the car and look closely. This specific car was done using the 'baseball bat' method.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Thanks! I didn't notice it in the first two pictures, but in the third one, it looks like there is a crease or flat spot on the upper part of the fender? Is this just the sun/picture playing tricks on my eyes? Because this is something that Andrew talked about.

Thanks again! That car looks great!

also, Andrew, I am going to call today about the paint. I have read online that the paint Porsche uses is a water-based paint. Are you going to be using water-based? Let me know

-Peter
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jul 5 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I'm running 215/16 tires with very little fender rolling. These are on 16/7 wheels

The opening you have in the front bumper will be fine if the rest of the cooling system is correct.
Thats about the same total size as I have on this EG33 powered car.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jul 5 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #20

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jul 5 2011, 09:19 AM) *

Thanks! I didn't notice it in the first two pictures, but in the third one, it looks like there is a crease or flat spot on the upper part of the fender? Is this just the sun/picture playing tricks on my eyes? Because this is something that Andrew talked about.

Thanks again! That car looks great!

also, Andrew, I am going to call today about the paint. I have read online that the paint Porsche uses is a water-based paint. Are you going to be using water-based? Let me know

-Peter

I think that's just a 'bad reflection' because it's the same side pictured in picture #2, but I see what you are talking about, it certainly does look like it in that picture.

I would really recommend the whole process! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:31 PM