Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs
 
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!
 
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> malaga_red75 Paint thread, by Andyrew, The End! Pictures page 9
malaga_red75
post Aug 12 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #141


'74 2.5L N/A Subie
**

Group: Members
Posts: 454
Joined: 5-March 06
From: Menlo Park, CA
Member No.: 5,674
Region Association: None



QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 12 2011, 11:09 AM) *

I'd go with a medium reducer in the base and a slow hardener in the clear. If you reduce the clear, the medium will be fine, the hardener is what makes the real difference. Using the slow hardener will also allow the paint more time to flow out, you just need to adjust how soon you apply additional coats. 20 psi at the gun, the HVLP guns are designed to drop pressure internally so the 20 will get cut own to around 16 at the cap. Too much pressure will force air past the reduction points and you will get to much at the tip. It also has the potential to blow out seals with too much pressure.



we are using a single stage urythane. So, still a medium reducer?

it sounds like pressure in the gun and time between coats might be the problem?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 12 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #142


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Scotty,

Single stage.

The gun says 40PSI max. So I set the gun at full pressure on the compressor to 39psi. Then as the compressor lowers the tank it goes down to about 36 or so.
I spoke with my paint supplier and he showed me another gun that said 29psi max and he said for that gun he suggested 25psi. And that the gun pressure depends on the gun. He suggested 35psi on the gun. He also gave me slow reducer in exchange for the Medium as he thinks that that is the problem, and suggested I wait a longer flash.
He said solvent pop is typically a lot bigger.

They only have one stage of hardner.


Also He had never seen this issue before either and basically said to make sure the gun is clean (which is was), and spray the test pannel with the slow reducer. 2 mist coats then 2 medium coats (which is what I did). Then if the problem is still there bring the test panel in with the paint, and their spray expert will test the materials and give me advice, Or if there is still a problem then they will replace the paint.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Aug 12 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #143


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,892
Joined: 9-October 10
From: New York City
Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States



I am on pin and needles, I have my boot set up. I was going to spray in the morning, but due to wheater change I will around 6, today. with all these issues, imagine me as a novice...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 12 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #144


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Paul, what temp are you spraying in?

This is why you do test pannels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The engine lid is a great test panel. If that goes on without a hitch and looks good the next day then keep on spraying!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Aug 12 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #145


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,892
Joined: 9-October 10
From: New York City
Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States



QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2011, 03:27 PM) *

Paul, what temp are you spraying in?

This is why you do test pannels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The engine lid is a great test panel. If that goes on without a hitch and looks good the next day then keep on spraying!



It is 80 sunny right now @ 4pm, planning on doing it around 6:30 by then it should be arround 70-75 tops
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 12 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #146


rust free you say ?
***************

Group: Members
Posts: 16,375
Joined: 7-January 05
From: richmond, Va.
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None



QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2011, 11:27 AM) *

Paul, what temp are you spraying in?

This is why you do test pannels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The engine lid is a great test panel. If that goes on without a hitch and looks good the next day then keep on spraying!


What brand paint are you using ? Everything I have always used single stage or two stage had various hardeners for differing conditions. IMHO 80 and up should use a slow hardener. Alot of painting is also feel, I shoot differently then everyone I have ever worked for. I run 20 psi into my gun and tend to over-reduce my paints. It lays down slicker for me. Other guys would run the hell out of it the way I mix. Just remember, the manufacturers mixing recommendation is just that...a recommendation. Ina 78 deg, zero humidity, perfectly clean booth that is what works best. In the real world things must be adjusted. I change the way I mix based on temp, humidity, and even the way I feel that day
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Aug 12 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #147


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,892
Joined: 9-October 10
From: New York City
Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States



QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 12 2011, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2011, 11:27 AM) *

Paul, what temp are you spraying in?

This is why you do test pannels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The engine lid is a great test panel. If that goes on without a hitch and looks good the next day then keep on spraying!


What brand paint are you using ? Everything I have always used single stage or two stage had various hardeners for differing conditions. IMHO 80 and up should use a slow hardener. Alot of painting is also feel, I shoot differently then everyone I have ever worked for. I run 20 psi into my gun and tend to over-reduce my paints. It lays down slicker for me. Other guys would run the hell out of it the way I mix. Just remember, the manufacturers mixing recommendation is just that...a recommendation. Ina 78 deg, zero humidity, perfectly clean booth that is what works best. In the real world things must be adjusted. I change the way I mix based on temp, humidity, and even the way I feel that day


Scotty I dont't want to highjack Andy's thread, but biefly, I am using a single stage. here is a link of my thread. I will post the paint info there.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=132582&hl=
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 12 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #148


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1312690163.jpg)

Scotty, See the pic. I dont have the actual paint on me so I cant check.

And I agree with you on on painting by feel. I am definitely still getting the feel of it.

Paul is using TCP global out of LA

Paul, 70-75 and you have the Med reducer right? You should be golden.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Aug 12 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #149


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,892
Joined: 9-October 10
From: New York City
Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States



QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2011, 04:30 PM) *

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1312690163.jpg)

Scotty, See the pic. I dont have the actual paint on me so I cant check.

And I agree with you on on painting by feel. I am definitely still getting the feel of it.

Paul is using TCP global out of LA

Paul, 70-75 and you have the Med reducer right? You should be golden.


Yes, Thats what I have.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 13 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #150


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Slow reducer, 25psi, 20 minutes+ flash time, Same shit (less of it... but its still there).


Going to bring the panel into the paint store when peter gets here.

I sprayed a bumper with some black paint I have and so far no issues. Same setup but different paint, reducer, hardner.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 13 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #151


http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html
****

Group: Members
Posts: 3,371
Joined: 26-March 05
From: Ceres, California
Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California



Thats not the H B spary gun hanging on the wall is it??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You're welcome to use a DeVebliss gun I have if you need/want. I hasn't been used for awhile but was cleaned thourouhly when put up.

Good luck spraying, Mike

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2011, 01:30 PM) *

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 13 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #152


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Mike,

Thats pretty funny!

Also I will take you up on that offer. I need to rule out my gun as the issue.

The bumper that I painted black had a few of the tiny holes, however they pretty much came out after wet sanding. However its not 100% perfect and I need to try and get it as good as I can.

Are you home now? I'll call you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 14 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #153


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



So we sprayed the headight covers yesterday and after leaving it to bake all day I wet sanded and polished one side of it.

Im going to be honest here, It looks fantastic. I am going to try one of the doors today and cut and buff it tomorrow and see what happens.

I have high hopes.

Also I dont think im going to use Mikes gun as its a bottom feeder and it has a 1.8 tip. I am low on materials and I need to make sure I can retain as much materials as possible. Mike I do have interest in the gun as a primer gun, Let me know if you want to sell it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)


Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 15 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #154


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Finally got in touch with the body shop tech. This is what he said.

10 minutes flash time
25-28psi
Closer spray (He said he sprays 6" from the pannel)
And therefore he moves faster.

Oh boy. What fun... I swear everyone has their own technique.

I'll try a respray tonight as well with these tips and see what happens.

This sure is some temperamental paint...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 15 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #155


rust free you say ?
***************

Group: Members
Posts: 16,375
Joined: 7-January 05
From: richmond, Va.
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None



QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 15 2011, 12:24 PM) *

Finally got in touch with the body shop tech. This is what he said.

I swear everyone has their own technique.

This sure is some temperamental paint...



Yes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Headlight lid looks great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 15 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #156


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Forgot how much I hate polishing with a buffer... Arg. So tedious.

Door is wetsanded and polished. Could use another go around as it still had some orange peel. But there are none of the little pinholes we were worried about.

I am very happy with it and very confident going forward. I am going to wetsand the engine lid (the one that I sprayed and gave to the tech but never wetsanded) tomorrow and spray the other door. Pretty confident that both will turn out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 17 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #157


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Other door is painted. 5 coats, It looks pretty good, less orange peal.

Differences:
1.Pressure raised to 23psi (For some reason thats all my regulator would give me).
2. Flash time reduced to 17 mins
3. Gun to pannel distance reduced to 6-9"
4. Speed increased slightly on spraying.


We are planning on spraying the body this weekend! (Again..)

We will either spray on Sat morn or Sun morn and spend the previous day prepping.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 22 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #158


Spooling.... Please wait
**********

Group: Members
Posts: 13,381
Joined: 20-January 03
From: Riverbank, Ca
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California



Body and hoods are sprayed!

It looks really good! Im going to respray one small area and I have already wetsanded 80% of the car!

We did a damn good job of taping up the garage, Im really proud of it! I hate to tear it down!!!!

I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image


User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 22 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #159


http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html
****

Group: Members
Posts: 3,371
Joined: 26-March 05
From: Ceres, California
Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California



very nice, Andrew (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 22 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #160


Resident Electrician
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 8,348
Joined: 22-June 09
From: Midlothian TX
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None



(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd October 2026 - 04:57 PM
...