Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914R build thread revisited, Latest transformation has commenced
rick 918-S
post Feb 15 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #121

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice nice nice! Better without the numbers but that's only my personal taste.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 15 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #122

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 15 2014, 10:23 AM) *

Nice nice nice! Better without the numbers but that's only my personal taste.

Thanks! It's a racecar so numbers and rock chips are unavoidable facts of life...

I have a whole bunch of vintage decals to put on, but need to plan that out carefully so it looks cool and not overly busy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 15 2014, 09:46 PM
Post #123

I can't Re Member

I installed my new rear Braid 15x9 Fuchs repros with fresh Hoosiers. I was going to sell them but decided I'll probably keep the 16x9 Fuchs too, for the taller gearing effect. But the next event is short track (Streets of Willow).

I reduced the spacers slightly as I was getting a bit of rubbing on the left front and just a hair on the left rear. All 4 corners seem optimal now.

The Braids are nice wheels. I'm going to order a full set in "RSR" finish.

Also got the bulk of the install done for the Racepak G2X GPS data acq system/dash. Just have to zip-tie and tidy things up tomorrow.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 16 2014, 04:33 PM
Post #124

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

We'll be expecting some nice Go-Pro video since your car is running again Chris.

Nice job. It must feel nice to be driving it again.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 17 2014, 01:32 AM
Post #125

I can't Re Member

I will record some new video on Friday, Streets of Willow. I was too rusty at the big track last week so I'm not posting that...

Here are some fresh pics. I'm still working on the dash - the black paint is still a little wet in the shot. It's satin not glossy. At least some of it will be covered-up later.

I got the G2X GPS data acq box, antenna and display mostly done this weekend.

Gutted, removable GT-style lid.
Attached Image

Engine.
Attached Image

Cobra Suzuka kevlar seats with Schroth harnesses
Attached Image

Cockpit
Attached Image

New Braid 15x9 wheel with Hoosier R6
Attached Image

NOS Fuchs 15x8 wheel with Hoosier R6
Attached Image

Factory stem, cap and brace thingie
Attached Image

Smart Racing Products windshield hold-down detail
Attached Image

Factory-style hood crest decal
Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 17 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #126

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

This care gets better each time I come back to this build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 18 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #127

I can't Re Member

This build thread does not go nearly all the way back to when I started this saga in 2002, so I'll sum-up the history July 2002-Feb 2014 by copying this from the COTM thread.

I apologize for repeating some pics I posted before, but it's the only way for the story to flow right and catch-up to present day.

Before

It started as a very clean, "no rust" SoCal 73 2.0 street car that had been hot-rodded a bit by the PO. He had put a big-bore 2.4L/4 with Webers in the engine bay, Eurorace headers, redone the seats in a nice corduroy fabric, short-shifter, and put on the rear reflector and spoiler.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Version 1

But, I had just sold a really nice stock 73 2.0 and that wasn't what I was after this time around. So, I almost immediately started gutting the car. In went a welded rollcage by TC Design. I also swapped to fiberglass bumpers, and put on a freeflow Dynomax muffler, removable steering wheel, new gauges, alloy pedals, race seats and harnesses, etc. Then I had Ottos do a 5-lug conversion with SC front-end and brakes, bigger t-bars and springs. I ran a few track events this way.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Version 2

I know the Type4 has its fans and merits, such as nice torque. But I was very worried about the longevity of this 2.4 in track use, and had the lust for a /6. So I bought a hot-rodded factory /6 engine that had purportedly been rebuilt with 2.2S parts. It was a mystery motor but turned out to be a great deal and gave me no trouble in about 6 years of use.

Ottos also installed the PMS fuel cell, giant oil cooler, metal fuel lines and other mods during the /6 conversion.

Somewhere along the way, Ottos (John W.) also built me a killer transmission for the car, with 904 mainshaft, short gears, Quaife TBD, billet intermediate plate. I also installed a Rennshifter and redid all the linkage bits, and added the Spa fire system. I added a fiberglass skin top at some point too.

I really loved the car at this point, and ran it this way from 2003-2009 or so without major changes.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Version 3

By 2009 the racing disease had gotten worse and times were good financially so I sprung for a very nice, 0-mile 2.7 built by JB Racing for a customer who'd fallen on hard times. This twin-plugged, Weber 46 carbed beauty went in in the car, with dual MSD 6AL boxes, an M&K "R" stainless muffler, and some trick Getty GT-style deck lids went on the body.

I left the lids unpainted amber for a unique "road warrior" look. Plus, I didn't want to deal with painting the car at that point anyway.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

(To be continued)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 18 2014, 02:15 AM
Post #128

I can't Re Member

Version 4

The bigger engine was really a blast - powerful, and looked and sounded fantastic. Now the car really needed more rubber as the 205's just could not keep the power to the ground. So, I ordered some custom flares from Tangerine Racing (Chris Foley) and set the wheels in motion so to speak for some more major rework. The car went to Kundensport (Ed Palmer) in Camarillo for bodywork, paint and rollcage extensions.

After a couple seasons of pretty heavy track use, the engine was noticeably down on power and showed fairly bad leakdown in one cylinder. So the engine went to Galen Bieker at WerksII in Burbank for what turned-out to be a complete rebuild and upgrading process with extensive new parts and machine work. This was a good choice as among other sketchy things found inside, the 964 oil pump housing had cracked. (It now has a 930 pump.) Galen also rejetted the Webers for top-end, and spent a lot of time optimizing the heads.

Somewhere along the line the car also got Carrera calipers with vented, cross-drilled rotors and both ends, raised spindles, custom-valved Bilsteins, a Smart Racing front swaybar and additional tub bracing.

I added the 911R-style tail lamps to carry the "914R" theme farther along.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

So, there you have it. The car has many, many more mods not listed here and countless hours and dollars poured into it, and of course that's still ongoing. I am working on the dash now and just installed the Racepak G2X data acq system last weekend. I'll probably cover the dash in perlon felt and aluminum, with a factory-looking pod over the gauge cluster.
+Quote Post
post Feb 18 2014, 08:55 AM
Post #129

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

Nicely done! One of the best I've ever seen in all the years.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 22 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #130

I can't Re Member

914R and I had a most excellent day at Streets of Willow with Open Track Racing yesterday. Great people, great weather, and awesome cars. 2 1/2 hours of on-track time - holy moly was I tired! Here are are couple of pics (via Cali Photography).

The car is extremely fast on this sort of track and all day long I passed if not lapped everyone in my run group including a Boss 302 Mustang, Cobra replica, Cayman R, WRX STi, Cayenne Turbo, a couple of M3s, a Lotus Exige or tricked-out Elise maybe, and of course some 911s. Granted I have a ton of experience on this track, but also the car just sticks and fricken rockets off the corners with the rebuilt engine and wider rubber. In the afternoon when the track surface heated-up and junked-up a bit, I was getting wheelspin in 2nd and 3rd gear and getting very sideways. That’s with an LSD and fresh 245 Hoosiers…very fun, but not fast at that point. Going drift-style cost 2-4 secs/lap.

In the first morning session I put the right wheel off into a horrible rut then back on track which bottomed it HARD. It sounded like a bomb going off, and cracked the damn windshield as well as ripped-out the dzus fasteners holding the front spoiler on that corner. (Luckily the spoiler is fine and I zip-tied it in place.) So, I’ll be adding a windshield to the list of stuff to do soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

At the end of the day, coming down the hill (clockwise) very hot in 4th gear I had a spectactular spin but by then the @#%^ camera battery had died. I stayed on the track and it was a minor pucker moment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) Fortunately nobody was close behind me.

I beat my personal best laptime here by around 2 seconds — got down into the 1:24.5 range! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Unfortunately due to what was most likely an operator error, I did not get any data off the new-to-me G2X box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Not sure what happened and hopefully the box is not broken. It was a last-minute install and I should have tested it thoroughly first. Sigh.

I have some in-car video I will try to edit and post here later. I really wish the GoPro had better audio. People always compliment how cool the car sounds at full rip, but in the video it sounds like crap and I want to hear it myself! I will work on that too.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Feb 22 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 1,507

Great looking car! I like the engine decklid setup.
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 22 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #132

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Time to go W2W
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 23 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #133

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(brant @ Feb 22 2014, 09:39 PM) *

Time to go W2W

I am heading that direction, working towards POC license and also checking into VARA. I doubt I'll get hardcore into the club racing scene -- wife and boss and insurance agent are not thrilled - but I definitely want to do some vintage and special-events stuff.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Feb 23 2014, 07:25 AM
Post #134

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Is there a reason why you use the LE spoiler vs the black spoiler on the track?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 23 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #135

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 23 2014, 05:25 AM) *

Is there a reason why you use the LE spoiler vs the black spoiler on the track?

The one in the latest above pics is not the LE, it's in between that one and the really deep Sheridan one. I used it at this last event due to the bumps, curbing and ruts at Streets of Willow. Good thing too as a pesky rut almost destroyed it! The deeper one is also thinner/lighter and likely would have been toast.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 10 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #136

I can't Re Member

Sorry it's been so long but life got ahold of me again and the car sat for a while. Today I dropped it off at TLG so Marco and Tony there, as well as John Esposito across the way, can take care of a few things. It will be freshly tuned, with a Sheridan rear spoiler, trans cooler and some new wheels with fresh Hoosiers for (hopefully) Laguna Seca with POC next month!

I may try to do the next POC Racers Clinic to get licensed and do some W2W. I'm jonesing to get back on the track!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 11 2014, 07:24 AM
Post #137

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Man, I love your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
siverson
post May 13 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

Vrooooom!
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 7 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #139

I can't Re Member

Marco at TLG has finished dialing-in my Webers, and did the valve adjustment and oil change. So I got to test-drive it a few blocks today and the off-idle and idle-to-main transitions are MUCH better now.

He also discovered that my little 'ditch incident' tore-off the front right swaybar mount tabs from the A-arm, which is easy to fix but I'm damn glad he found that because somehow I had not and probably would not have until it was too late.

Next week it'll get the windshield replaced and front fenders and swaybar mount fixed and then she'll be track-ready again!!!

+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jun 8 2014, 01:00 AM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Good choice with Tony +Marco , father and son Porsche techs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Are you going for an oe windshield or Safe-t-lite racing?
Streets of Willow does have some interesting terrain just off of the asphalt. On one occassion with a slow speed off track expedition, the spoiler caught the soft sand and shredded it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Have a blast at Laguna Seca !
Marty
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:08 AM