Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914R build thread revisited, Latest transformation has commenced
Larmo63
post Mar 16 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #181

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

This car and the dedication, time, and money Chris has put in to it deserve to be acknowledged.

I know I will vote for it. It's not only a badass track machine, but it's beautiful to boot.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 16 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #182

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Too flattering. Thanks guys!!! Really, it is a shade-tree rat-rod with a nice paint job. I wish I could get to the track more. I actually put a muffler on a couple weekends ago so I can do short canyon runs when withdrawals get too bad.

Re. the wheels question - yes I currently have (2) pair Braid 15x9 (1) pair Braid 15x8 and (2) pair Fuchs 15x8 for this car. I like the Braids although they are not an exact cosmetic clone of the Fuchs nor are they built the same. Real 15x9's won't fit the car (I tried).
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 16 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #183

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Rat-Rod my ass...there are plenty of examples of 914 rat rods (that aren't trying to be) but your car, Chris, does not qualify. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 17 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #184

I can't Re Member

Yikes. Was doing some inspecting and cleaning and found a nasty fuel leak. Be sure to watch your fuel systems folks. Mine was rock solid for 12+ years but I could have easily had a fireball here.

Also if you don't have a "mom's service cover" then get one - they rock!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.staticflickr.com-21-1458258839.1.jpg)Just a little cleaning and tweaking... by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 17 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #185

I can't Re Member

@alphaogre - I did the bumpers a long time ago and don't think I have pics. Will be glad to pop the rear off this weekend assuming I remember. As I recall there are U-shaped aluminum brackets bolted to the stock holes where the rubber donuts usually connect.

The front bumper is not installed with dzus, more of a factory install, but both bumpers are GT Racing fiberglass. I used dzus on the roof skin and front spoiler as well. The front spoiler needs to come off for my trailer. The roof is a bare rennspeed skin with no provision for factory latches/hardware/seals.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 27 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #186

I can't Re Member

Did some extensive cleaning/detailing today. Then I drove it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.staticflickr.com-21-1459142261.1.jpg)IMG_5891.jpg by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.staticflickr.com-21-1459142262.2.jpg)IMG_5892.jpg by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 28 2016, 07:28 AM
Post #187

Advanced Member

Wow! Look at all that GREEN - must have been raining allot!

Fantastic scenery - the car too.

Tony
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jun 21 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #188

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

Just went through this whole thread. Seriously love everything about it. Hope I can see it in person one of these days
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Jun 21 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #189

Member No.: 14,487

I always come back and look through this thread and become simultaneously inspired and depressed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jerkit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/naughty.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 22 2016, 12:30 AM
Post #190

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jun 22 2016, 07:14 AM) *

I always come back and look through this thread and become simultaneously inspired and depressed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jerkit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/naughty.gif)

Me too, this is one of my favorite builds and one that I dont mind reading about a few time over.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 22 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #191

I can't Re Member

You guys are too flattering but thank you! FWIW I hope next fall/winter to do some minor cosmetic repair/freshening and some other misc projects like rewiring. I still have not fixed the lefthand paint and graphics after the sideswipe, and the rockers/spoilers are all sandblasted to hell. Need a couple new bits from Sheridan and the black trim bits resprayed. Mechanically overall it's still amazing and trackworthy - definitely going out a few more times this year.

My to-do list for the car has at least 25 tasks and by then I'll probably have thought of 25 more. And so it goes with these cars...

Also I just realized I must've not posted here about my fun with fuel leaks and potential inferno situations a few months ago! I ended up replacing some fittings and line with brand new bits as even after cleaning-up and re-assembling (pic) the old connections leaked. This type of 90-degree fitting seems flawed to me and I'm not using this style any more. Very very scary having a leak directly above the exhaust. I always try to look, listen and smell carefully when I fire up the car...any old car really.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 22 2016, 01:09 AM
Post #192

I can't Re Member

LOL also I didn't mention earlier that I got a no front plate fix-it ticket a while back. It's so ironic as I literally drive this thing on the street 5 times a year and CHP happened to have a bug up their ass that weekend due to a resident uproar near The Snake in Agoura/Malibu. The officer practically apologized to me for the nuisance stop/ticket and said orders were to appease the residents and shut down the cars and bikes.

I'm gonna go get it signed-off at the station around the corner soon. I figure I can zip-tie the plate on as no way am I drilling holes for that.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 22 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #193

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Ridiculous. I've been w/o one on my 76 since 2009 and the black one has a Euro plate on the front. I had heard that some cops do write you up so I carry the front plates in the trunks of both cars in case I run into a fire breather.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Jun 22 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #194

Member No.: 15,915
Region Association: Northern California

I've used the industrial strength Velcro to good effect to attach my front plate.

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 22 2016, 12:09 AM) *

LOL also I didn't mention earlier that I got a no front plate fix-it ticket a while back. It's so ironic as I literally drive this thing on the street 5 times a year and CHP happened to have a bug up their ass that weekend due to a resident uproar near The Snake in Agoura/Malibu. The officer practically apologized to me for the nuisance stop/ticket and said orders were to appease the residents and shut down the cars and bikes.

I'm gonna go get it signed-off at the station around the corner soon. I figure I can zip-tie the plate on as no way am I drilling holes for that.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 5 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #195

I can't Re Member

I finally cleaned-up the damage from a side-swipe incident on the track some time ago, which thankfully turned out to mostly be tire rubber and trashed decals. It looks way better! I'll rattle can touch-up the fender arch as I don't want to get the whole side re-sprayed now.

Then I drove it around a bit...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c4.staticflickr.com-21-1473131481.1.jpg)914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

+Quote Post
2mAn
post Sep 5 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #196

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 5 2016, 08:11 PM) *

I finally cleaned-up the damage from a side-swipe incident on the track some time ago, which thankfully turned out to mostly be tire rubber and trashed decals. It looks way better! I'll rattle can touch-up the fender arch as I don't want to get the whole side re-sprayed now.

Then I drove it around a bit...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c4.staticflickr.com-21-1473131481.1.jpg)914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

ugh I love this car so much
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Sep 6 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #197

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Watching it transform to its current state over the years has been lots of fun!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 6 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #198

I can't Re Member

Another quick update -

Life got crazy (crazier) and I've been away from the track almost a year already! I've wanted to try vintage wheel-to-wheel racing for years and finally am going to do the licensing schools I need for both POC and VARA W2W.

Unfortunately had a recent rat incursion in our garage - we live on the edge of wilderness so have critters everywhere - and they stored stolen dry dog food down in the pedalboard area! Some got into the center tunnel too. Sooooo, I've spend a couple of fun sessions hanging upside down in there, with the full rollcage and race seats, cleaning up that. Touched-up the floor paint as well. Very, very fortunately they did not seem to defecate/urinate or chew anything or nest inside the car. Lucky for me they did that outside of the car and put their food in the car...nice clean, dry food...whew

Then today I dropped it off at TLG for some basic maint/prep and tech inspection. I actually drove it there vs. trailered as it's got a muffler at the moment, and it was fine.

Woohoo, I will definitely share the school and race experiences coming up. At some point I want to set up a 2 or maybe 3-camera rig with overlaid data but no budget for that right now. I will need two new sets of $$$$ tires in December/January.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
My 914
post Oct 7 2016, 04:51 AM
Post #199

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

I just found this thread and spent some time going through it. Congratulations on a great project. I love the 914R concept! Just out of curiosity, how easy/difficult is it to install the muffler so you can drive it on the street?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Oct 7 2016, 06:49 AM
Post #200

Advanced Member

Damn rodents! Have a great time...I've been meaning to get my comp license too - I'm thinking about doing some vintage racing. Regarding next Summer - it looks like it will be Sears Point - hope you can make it! It is a very expensive hobby - car shows and concours would be a wiser choice for sure, well at least cheaper! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Tony
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:56 PM