Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914R build thread revisited, Latest transformation has commenced
campbellcj
post Jan 20 2017, 12:40 AM
Post #221

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Well, the VARA University weekend was mostly a bust. Not a total loss, but frustrating and really not fun at all. I did meet a few nice folks though.

I got a new set of slicks to have as spares. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) I figured I would probably heat-cycle them Sunday afternoon and use my old DOT Hoosiers for all the sessions.

Attached Image

The first signs of a bumpy weekend were that Buttonwillow is a 2.5 hour tow for me. It's normally a pretty easy boring drive, but for the Grapevine which this time was completely blanketed in fog. I couldn't see a thing for over an hour. Made it before 7 though.

Attached Image

It was cold. Yes, only California cold, but super damp air and Buttonwillow was just mud and water everywhere. My car then would not start. This has never happened to me that I remember. Of course I have jumpers and it fired right up but I may need a battery again.

I can say the VARA approach is very different compared to POC. The racer's group I was in was far more laid-back, less structured and informative in class and track exercises, and way slower on track. I never got up to speed or really had any fun.

Then, a big AN16 fitting on the engine oil cooler started leaking. I'm 98% sure the seal has failed, and it got worse and worse. No way could I fix this track-side, as even though I had the wrench it was impossible to get enough clearance/leverage. Not to mention I did not have that spare fitting. (I do actually carry some AN parts and tools.) Or an oil drain pan or much oil etc...

Got called into black flag twice and by the time of the after lunch session, I deemed the car undrivable as it was smoking too badly off the header and I cannot risk a total oil loss.
Attached Image

VARA signed me off for 1 day of the license school and I'll take care of the rest on some regular race weekend Friday afternoon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 20 2017, 12:42 AM
Post #222

I can't Re Member

The car started accumulating a nasty slime of oil and smells horrendous... will be all mended up shortly though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 20 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #223

I can't Re Member

So, the latest chapter which started last Sunday when I unexpectedly came come from VARA early, is I am going to give-up any pretenses of keeping the thing streetable. For now, at least. I will keep all the parts to put it back to some sort of "road rallly spec" later if desired.

I have already removed the front lights/brackets/motors, turn signals, horns, and re-routed the wiring harness out of the way after pulling the fuses and terminating all the ends as applicable. That's a lot of weight already. I do want to basically re-wire the whole car at some point but have events to get thru, so I have to phase things.

Attached Image

I'm looking at brake cooling inlet options now. Hooking the ducts to the front spoiler totally sucks for me as the spoiler has to come off for trailering. I want to permanently get the ducts mounted on the car somehow; or, maybe a quick-release duct connector.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 20 2017, 05:48 AM
Post #224

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Make ducs that use the indicator holes as intakes, in that duct you install a small forward facing orange led to use as indicator on the track.

Then might be able to have the hoses permanently installed in the wheel housings and for street use you just swap out the ducts for the stock indicators.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 20 2017, 06:33 AM
Post #225

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Sorry to hear about your weekend...I could tell you similar stories (but this is your sobbing time, not mine)! Hang in there...

PS: It is very difficult to build a 40+ year old race car that will be bulit proof reliable...even more so if it is also doing duty on the street. Good luck.

Tony
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 20 2017, 10:35 AM
Post #226

I can't Re Member

As as I have often said..."these things are pretty darn reliable, once you've replaced every single part".

Part of what is going on here, I'm pretty sure, is that the bits from earlier in the "build" (2002-04) and initial -6 conversion are coming up on 15 years old now! And that's almost all track usage. So I can foresee more of those AN fittings, bearings and so forth starting to go out. Obviously many bits are newer and hunky-dorey.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 20 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #227

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

BTW that fog on the 99 /5 Hwys caused a huge pile up and major injuries (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Lucky to hear you missed all that. Here's a better view of 914R !Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 21 2017, 09:20 AM
Post #228

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Chris.
Are to our boiling your brakes?
Get some temperature paint
I removed all of my cooling once I found out my temps. And went two steps softer in pads trying to build more temperature

+Quote Post
jmz
post Jan 27 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #229

Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

my brakes are ducted through the fog lights. nicely done by one of the previous owners. I'll take some pics for you. I'm not sure if it will help or not but I can get some pics next week while the car is up on a lift if you like.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 28 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #230

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(jmz @ Jan 27 2017, 08:47 PM) *

my brakes are ducted through the fog lights. nicely done by one of the previous owners. I'll take some pics for you. I'm not sure if it will help or not but I can get some pics next week while the car is up on a lift if you like.

I would love to see that - still undecided on what I might change. Definitely the constant disconnecting/reconnecting with my current lashup is getting old fast.

Brant - "It depends" - I most severely had brake overheating at Laguna before I finished the duct install. Normal home tracks in SoCal here, like WSIR, are not nearly as hard on brakes. Since I hooked-up the ducts, no probs with under/overheating, but obviously I am trying to go faster and brake later, plus I switched to slicks, so there are those factors in play too.

Using a new-ish Pagid compound in front now, which I like a lot but I don't have the name/# handy.

I just left the car with Marco at TLG for the leaks and a couple other minor-ish tweaks.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 7 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #231

I can't Re Member

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates lately - I do have updates but have not been on the boards much. By the way I post stuff on Instagram as cjcam930

The engine oil cooler ended-up needing replacement, which TLG got done in time for me to make it to Willow Springs a few weekends ago. I have some video ready to upload.

I have also continued to lighten the car, which is now down to 1994lbs wet w/o driver, still with a full passenger seat+harness. I have now removed all remaining front lights, motors, and the windshield wipers as well. Other than the right seat, there's nothing more significant to remove at this point, other than actual sheet metal.

Unfortunately in that POC WSIR event the car ran GREAT but (a) I lost an exhaust megaphone at-speed - luckily did not hit anyone - and retrieved it later but it's thrashed; (b) my transponder power wiring had failed and in a double murphy's law, the POC loaner did not work right either. So I had no timing/scoring. © On top of all this, my truck broke just before as well with an unexpected >$1K bill.

THIS WEEKEND 3/11-12, 2017 I will be at Buttonwillow doing the POC Racers Clinic again, my final step towards W2W licensing. After this I have to take a few months off, so this had better be awesome!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-21-1488948892.1.jpg)"914R" minus an exhaust megaphone by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 7 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #232

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Love that car! Best of luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 8 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #233

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Those hips.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 8 2017, 06:00 AM
Post #234

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 13 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #235

I can't Re Member

I need to keep this update fairly short but suffice to say, my 2nd POC Racers Clinic which was at Buttonwillow last weekend was AWESOME (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) and I "graduated" as a new rookie Cup Racer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

What everyone says about W2W racing is true. There are very few times in your life you will ever feel more alive, alert, and challenged. Also I am finding the racer social/teamwork bonds and camaraderie very different than in the TT/TA/HPDE world where it seems so many folks stay to themselves and have no clue who's on track with them.

I will have some photos soon from CaliPhotography. Here's in-car video of our final 10-lap sprint race, which was super fun and there was no carnage AFAIK. But in the heat of the moment, I f*ed up (flat-spotted) my tires badly which caused a hellish vibration and loss of traction. Then in the final lap I went off in Star Mazda, one of the last turns! But amazingly the guy behind me who had been up my ass the whole time, had run out of gas! So I started and finished P6. P1 was a Cayman GT4 Clubsport and P2 was a Ferrari F430 Challenge Stradale; factory race cars with flappy paddles and aero... P3-P5 were winged 996/997 racecars with ABS. I am very pleased how well 914R did.

I plan to get a better camera system soon, promise, hopefully with data overlay and good sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buw0HxHuyVE
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 14 2017, 12:17 AM
Post #236

I can't Re Member

18 total entrants - by the way, P1 (Cayman GT4 Clubsport) was a female. Smokin fast!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 14 2017, 06:20 AM
Post #237

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations! How cool to compete with those cars and do so well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 14 2017, 06:27 AM
Post #238

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Congratulations Chris...job well done! I see Boxsters are still rolling chicanes. Your car sounded like it was running very strong too! Hopefully, in non-licensing events, you will truly get close-quarters w2w action...

Is historic racing an option? Can run your car (legally) with the modifications you have made? That seems to provide the best w2w action I have ever seen for a teener - like 20 cars all within a few corners, bumper to bumper. Almost a nascar race - style.

Tony
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 14 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #239

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 14 2017, 04:27 AM) *

Congratulations Chris...job well done! I see Boxsters are still rolling chicanes. Your car sounded like it was running very strong too! Hopefully, in non-licensing events, you will truly get close-quarters w2w action...

Is historic racing an option? Can run your car (legally) with the modifications you have made? That seems to provide the best w2w action I have ever seen for a teener - like 20 cars all within a few corners, bumper to bumper. Almost a nascar race - style.

Tony

Hi Tony - Yes I have also been cleared by VARA/SVRA but there I will be put in GTU class which is the unlimited closed-wheel cars. That'll be fun as it should be stuff like 280Z's, >2.0L early 911's, Mustangs...all sorts. However I will miss their WSIR event coming up in 2 weeks.

In POC it looks like I am moving into GT3 which means I'll be running back 1/3rd of the pack (if not DFL) in the Red Group. I'm able to take a bit more weight out and add aero if I want. To squeak into GT4 which usually runs in the Orange race (with the Boxsters), I'd have to add weight, cut power and/or revert to DOT tires which I think would spoil the character and concept of this car. Honestly I think I would rather be with the crazy-fast guys than the Boxsters...
+Quote Post
brant
post Mar 14 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #240

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

The crazy fast guys will make you faster.....
so glad you are wheel to wheel racing...
I knew you would like it

great car!
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:49 AM