Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914R build thread revisited, Latest transformation has commenced
76-914
post Nov 20 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #261

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

How'd I miss that great video first time around? I don't know the first thing about racing but that won't keep me from asking this question. I noticed some of the other cars catch and pass you at some points yet you were clearly faster as shown in other parts of the video. Is that because of gearing differences or were you holding back? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 21 2017, 08:48 AM
Post #262

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 19 2017, 11:05 AM) *

Car looks great, one of the best builds I've followed here!

Thanks very much!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 20 2017, 08:22 AM) *

It'd be great to see and hear your car at some events - I vote for making it "street legal"!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

It will happen sooner or later... tough call as I built this car to race, and in its current form it's more fun and faster than ever.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 21 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #263

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 20 2017, 08:50 AM) *

How'd I miss that great video first time around? I don't know the first thing about racing but that won't keep me from asking this question. I noticed some of the other cars catch and pass you at some points yet you were clearly faster as shown in other parts of the video. Is that because of gearing differences or were you holding back? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Great observation and there are many, many variables! Definitely the driver's skill and chosen lines through key turns, level of focus or fatigue, all play-in heavily.

Once you cluster-up with other cars/drivers running comparable lap times, you will see a lot of cat-and-mouse like that. Often two drivers will be within a few hundredths/second lap times overall, and be bumper-to-bumper but unable to pass one another for some time, until a mistake is made or traffic forces an opening.

In this video the front cars had 2 key mechanical differences from my little 914: ABS brakes and real aerodynamics (splitters, wings, and flat bottoms.) PDK/paddle shifters as well in a couple cars.

The ABS lets them consistently and more easily go deep into corners under braking. (I ruined a $300 tire at one point that event by locking-up my non-ABS brakes.) The aero lets them fly through certain sections i.e., fast sweepers, where I have to "tip toe" around relying purely on mechanical grip and keeping momentum.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Nov 21 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #264

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

I just watched that awesome video! Your car goes very nicely with you driving. This is very motivating to finish my motor and get it back on track. Live the dream!
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 22 2018, 09:19 PM
Post #265

I can't Re Member

It's been a really long time...the car has mostly been sitting, but I do at least try to take it out and putt around the neighborhood every 2-4 weeks.

I have been very budget and time constrained, and the car needs tires and possibly a trans freshening, but am determined to get to at least a couple of track events in the 2nd half of this year.

Some pics I don't think I posted before:

Some fresh Al Reed 15x8 Fuchs to go with my existing Braid 15x9's.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm5.staticflickr.com-21-1527045543.1.jpg)

Getty GT repro lid w/ balsa wood.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm5.staticflickr.com-21-1527045544.2.jpg)

Random driveway shot the other day.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm1.staticflickr.com-21-1527045545.3.jpg)

+Quote Post
raynekat
post May 23 2018, 12:55 AM
Post #266

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 22 2018, 08:19 PM) *

Would like to know what you think about the Getty lids....
Do they fit, are they light, really flimsy, etc.
Anything you can add is helpful.

I bought a set of the front/rear lids that I think are the same ones that Aase Sales carries.
They look great, but don't fit so great and really don't have the correct curves to match up with the body.
But I guess that's the way the Porsche Motorsport lids fit back in the day.
Underneath mine look killer like yours/the Getty lids.

Thanks
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 24 2018, 07:49 AM
Post #267

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(raynekat @ May 22 2018, 11:55 PM) *

Would like to know what you think about the Getty lids....
Do they fit, are they light, really flimsy, etc.
Anything you can add is helpful.

I bought a set of the front/rear lids that I think are the same ones that Aase Sales carries.
They look great, but don't fit so great and really don't have the correct curves to match up with the body.
But I guess that's the way the Porsche Motorsport lids fit back in the day.
Underneath mine look killer like yours/the Getty lids.

Thanks

The Getty f/g pieces I got (~2009) are extremely nice quality. TRE Motorsports installed them originally while doing a 2.2-2.7 engine swap for me. They said the lids just bolted right up, and gaps are pretty good. A while later Kundensport painted the car.

The main point is they are very thin and light - They do warp and flex at speed - but I have had zero issues from this. The main worry would be somebody sitting on it or putting something on top that would crack the paint or f/g or balsa.
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Mar 7 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #268

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

Reading through this thread. Doing my first race car build.

+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Mar 7 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #269

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946

Chris,

Come play with us. Old tires and a worn out box is fine.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/eve...50F825DDF1B0C49
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 7 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #270

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Mar 7 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Reading through this thread. Doing my first race car build.

I'll be glad to share any of my limited knowledge or pics; not nearly everything I and this car have been thru is documented here of course. Feel free to PM/DM.

For sure look over Brant's thread(s) and some of the other race builds here on World as they have also helped me greatly.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 7 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #271

I can't Re Member

I'm making progress (slowly) on reconfiguring 914R to be more street-friendly / less cop-magnet.

When I started this a few weekends ago it was a PITA to get the car started, as I let it sit too long and it's been colder than usual out. #becausewebers

I had to pull the air filters off so snapped this.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-21-1552010683.1.jpg)

Once running I installed a NOS Dansk 2-in/1-out sport muffler I got for around 1/2 price from a private party who'd changed his build plans (ever heard that before?)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-21-1550064958.2.jpg)

So far I love the Dansk muffler -- it's tamer and more "Porsche-like" than the M&K 911R muffler, I think perfectly aggressive for sporty street use. It's heavy though.

I also installed a silver Momo Prototipo, also new, that I had in storage for years. I really like it - previously I'd used a 90's-era Personal/Nardi Fittipaldi wheel since buying the car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-21-1550064957.1.jpg)

Last weekend I finished stripping the race graphics and worked on the pedalboard area (painful). Have some new streetable tires on order now and thinking about seats, possibly GTS Classics.

The hood is sitting high and I'm not sure how to improve that. It's a super light Getty GT f/g lid with a replacement hood seal pushing it up too much. I need to check where I sourced the seal and determine if it's correct.

Mechanically it's running awesome. The trans needs work however - TBD - it has not been opened up since around 2004!!!
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 7 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #272

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 7 2019, 05:28 PM) *

Chris,

Come play with us. Old tires and a worn out box is fine.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/eve...50F825DDF1B0C49

It could be really fun to do an autocross or something else different for a change - I am on motorsportreg but can't open that link (event) though - what/when's the event?

I do have good race tires on hand and trans probably would hold together...pending issue is my "street" tires are some sketchy rock hard Hoosiers...
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Mar 7 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #273

Advanced Member

Look for POC Autocross in Google. Maybe this link will work better.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/poc-au...-porsche-314922
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 7 2019, 08:22 PM
Post #274

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 7 2019, 06:13 PM) *

Look for POC Autocross in Google. Maybe this link will work better.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/poc-au...-porsche-314922

Got it, thanks! I had heard about that directly from POC - will see if I can make it!
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Mar 7 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #275

Advanced Member

Drop me a PM and I can fill you in on how it came to be.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 7 2019, 10:26 PM
Post #276

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 7 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Last weekend I finished stripping the race graphics and worked on the pedalboard area (painful). Have some new streetable tires on order now and thinking about seats, possibly GTS Classics.

Do you mind sharing how you mounted your race seats? I don’t recall seeing that in your build thread. I’m having trouble with headroom with the floor crossbar still installed and Recaro spgs...

Thanks!
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 7 2019, 11:14 PM
Post #277

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Which hood is high? The front or rear (or both)?

My Getty rear hood was high with the stock weatherstripping seal that sits between the engine bay and the rear trunk. I put a lower profile seal on that section and the rear hood fits like money. The larger rear main seal is stock and works fine with the Getty hood.

My Getty rear hood is on the money except towards the front where the headlight doors are. But if I had a GT look, I'd just put the 4 hood pins there and that would take care of that issue. The stock front hood seal definitely pushes up a bit and the fiberglass will flex on the edges unlike a steel hood.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 8 2019, 06:37 AM
Post #278

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

So Chris,

Are you curtailing the "track" side of the hobby for good or just for awhile? When you do start up later in the year are you still planning on racing or just track-days? Your car looks great...as usual! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

T
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 8 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #279

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 7 2019, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 7 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Do you mind sharing how you mounted your race seats? I don’t recall seeing that in your build thread. I’m having trouble with headroom with the floor crossbar still installed and Recaro spgs...

Thanks!

I'll plan to take some pics of that soon. I'm using side-mounts (Cobra) bolted to the floor thru some steel reinforcement pieces; fixed-position, no sliders in my setup. The cross-bar is cut. That's kinda controversial but it really gets you down lower and this car has a 10-point cage so the structural integrity loss is not a big worry. (That said the floors and rest of the car were extremely clean and solid rust-wise).
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 8 2019, 08:18 AM
Post #280

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 7 2019, 09:14 PM) *

Which hood is high? The front or rear (or both)?

My Getty rear hood was high with the stock weatherstripping seal that sits between the engine bay and the rear trunk. I put a lower profile seal on that section and the rear hood fits like money. The larger rear main seal is stock and works fine with the Getty hood.

My Getty rear hood is on the money except towards the front where the headlight doors are. But if I had a GT look, I'd just put the 4 hood pins there and that would take care of that issue. The stock front hood seal definitely pushes up a bit and the fiberglass will flex on the edges unlike a steel hood.

Thanks! Seems like a common issue with the f/g stuff - it's only the front that is off a bit. The rear is also Getty and is perfect. I'll fiddle with it at some point but it's down the priority list a ways.
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:36 PM