Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 15 16 17  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914R build thread revisited, Latest transformation has commenced
campbellcj
post Sep 30 2022, 05:18 PM
Post #321

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 30 2022, 09:34 AM) *

Do you remember what you painted the floors with? I'm trying to decide if I paint grey like yours, black or try and get color match...as I stripped the tar off my seats to do chassis stiffening and make sure there was no rust.

I'll put down some new style sound insulation, so I'm not sure if the color match makes sense..

It's actually grey POR-15 which is very old now, and I think I did put a clearcoat/topcoat over it but not positive. There is zero tar or deadening mat in the car and the POR-15 over bare metal has held up well overall. For track use I prefer the lighter color over black for a couple reasons.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 30 2022, 05:25 PM
Post #322

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Sep 30 2022, 08:37 AM) *

Hey Chris, What are you running for chassis stiffening on this monster?

It's got a 10-point welded-in cage plus the GT-style kit and boxed arms in the back, repairs/reinforcements around the "ears" and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. It's pretty darn solid but I do worry about all the stress from running slicks and very stiff suspension.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 3 2022, 09:49 AM
Post #323

I can't Re Member

Well I found the car was running really rough and boggy at low/mid RPMs so I cleaned-out the idle jets and voila! Way smoother and stronger now. Also found the throttle cable and pedal stop adjustments were slightly off so I fixed it so now hopefully the Webers are at WOT right at the pedal stop. Will try to post up some test drive video soon. (Have a few short ones on my insta @cjcam930)
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Oct 5 2022, 10:41 PM
Post #324

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 30 2022, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Sep 30 2022, 08:37 AM) *

Hey Chris, What are you running for chassis stiffening on this monster?

It's got a 10-point welded-in cage plus the GT-style kit and boxed arms in the back, repairs/reinforcements around the "ears" and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. It's pretty darn solid but I do worry about all the stress from running slicks and very stiff suspension.

Thanks. What are you running for torsion bars and rear spring rates?
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 6 2022, 05:17 PM
Post #325

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Every time I come back to this thread…. I have the same thought…
Beautiful car Chris!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 6 2022, 06:23 PM
Post #326

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 5 2022, 09:41 PM) *

Thanks. What are you running for torsion bars and rear spring rates?

Here's the gist of the suspension - practically all stock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Sway-A-Way 22mm tubular front torsion bars
Bilstein 911SC front struts, raised spindles, decambered, custom valving
Custom monoball front strut tops/camber plates (fabbed by Werks II)
Smart Racing Products No. 27 front swaybar
Meuller Engineering front A-arm needle bearings
Elephant Racing polybronze rear bushings
Hypercoil 350lb 2.5x10” rear springs and Coleman threaded coil-over collars
Bilstein Sport rear shocks (F4-B46-0179-H003) with custom valving
Factory 16mm rear swaybar; restored, new bushings
GT chassis stiffening kit
Boxed rear trailing arms
H&R wheel spacers
Titanium lug nuts
Two sets 15x8 Fuchs + 15x9 Braid wheels
+Quote Post
siverson
post Oct 6 2022, 07:24 PM
Post #327

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

Sounds plush and cozy.

-Steve
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 6 2022, 08:15 PM
Post #328

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Love this car, and love that it is USED.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 12 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #329

I can't Re Member

Just a quick status update. Having a muffler on the car obviously makes interior and road noise way more noticeable/annoying.

The other day I first noticed the left side rocker cover was rattling like crazy at the rear attachment point - tightened down, easy fix. Then I finally found the source of the most obnoxious noise which is not what I thought and actually was an additional culprit. The metal dash frame is/was touching against the rollcage slightly, causing a horrible buzzy rattle. I think fixed now but need another test drive.

The remaining NVH challenges are the aluminum skin door panels and the QRS fiberglass skin top (dzus fasteners), which I'll tackle soon. I may put a little sound deadening in the doors and floors but TBD and probably not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Also I just got a NOS turn signal switch to hopefully fix my weird blinker issue... not sure when I want to tear back into that nightmare though.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Oct 17 2022, 02:44 PM
Post #330

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 14 2022, 09:26 AM) *

Thanks all - I will be posting more updates and pics next few days.

Here was the status of the interior as it was before the drivetrain came apart - I plan to either completely redo or at least touch-up the paint which is actually POR-15 in grey. My seat side-mounts and hardware all needs cleanup or replacement also.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1657815966.1.jpg)

Here are the seats, old (Cobra Suzuka) and new (Recaro Profi SPG). I was hoping to find Recaros that were extremely close to the size/shape of my old Cobra Suzukas and these seem to be. These are the standard narrow versions which gives me added motivation to stay in shape lol. (Plus lucky for me the large version model just got recalled.) Worst case I believe the Suzukas and other options are still available if these don't work out well.

@campbellcj Are your seats mounted directly to the floor? I was thinking about re-using the seat rails if I went race seats but I think they can get much lower if you take off the sliders?

Btw your car is a great blend of street legal and track monster, keeps the value high as well if you still keep it street legal.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 18 2022, 06:22 PM
Post #331

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 17 2022, 01:44 PM) *

@campbellcj Are your seats mounted directly to the floor? I was thinking about re-using the seat rails if I went race seats but I think they can get much lower if you take off the sliders?

Btw your car is a great blend of street legal and track monster, keeps the value high as well if you still keep it street legal.

Thanks! Yes, they are bolted to the floor but with some steel strips sandwiched in between for reinforcing and leveling purposes. I'm not even very tall (5'9" ish) but the extra headroom and lower driving position really makes a difference.

Years ago I remember debates about structural integrity lost from cutting out the floor cross-beams but this car has a full welded cage so I wasn't worried about that much. With an uncaged car (or rusty floors?!?!) it may be more a consideration but I dunno. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 30 2022, 03:02 PM
Post #332

I can't Re Member

Woohoo, I've been chipping away at my long to-do list and the car is running well (again) now. One challenge since the trans rebuild has been gunk in the fuel system from the old fuel cell that had pretty well disintegrated and from the car sitting too long. I think I finally got that cleared up. Had been thinking it was running horribly due to the new exhaust, but that didn't totally make sense since it should not be much different in flow/backpressure vs what I ran before. Sure enough it was mainly or entirely the Weber jets being clogged and possibly some inferior/fouled gas.

Some fresh pics! I just put some new decals on, and brought it out to the PCA unStock show a couple weekends ago. I plan to bring it to Motor4Toys at Pierce College this Sunday as well.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1669842176.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1669842176.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1669842176.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1669842176.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 30 2022, 03:36 PM
Post #333

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Nice update Chris.

One thing I've noticed and particulary on your car along with a few other with the blacked out bumpers:

Normally I don't like the sail vinyl delete on a 914, but with the blacked out bumpers and the wide rubber it really draws the line of the car out and lengthwise....looks really cool. Others might have commented before but with those pics...you really notice it.

Nice car and quite a change from the years posting here.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 30 2022, 06:32 PM
Post #334

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 30 2022, 01:36 PM) *

Nice update Chris.

One thing I've noticed and particulary on your car along with a few other with the blacked out bumpers:

Normally I don't like the sail vinyl delete on a 914, but with the blacked out bumpers and the wide rubber it really draws the line of the car out and lengthwise....looks really cool. Others might have commented before but with those pics...you really notice it.

Nice car and quite a change from the years posting here.

Thanks! The painter suggested leaving off the sail vinyl but keeping the bright trim to be a little "different" so we went with that, knowing it could always be added back later.

I may actually go back to the front spoiler/dam being body color and/or put some other color on the bumpers vs solid black (possibly a GT style 50/50 highlight color). I think it would be fun to not have it all orange & black. TBD.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Dec 2 2022, 02:07 PM
Post #335

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

One of my local favorites...tasteful touches (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

O

Attached Image

+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 7 2022, 06:40 PM
Post #336

I can't Re Member

Thanks @valcooscar - appreciate your help & parts!

Made it to Motor4Toys on Sunday - the car is running extremely well now but alas the engine will need to come apart again someday for an oil leak.

I need to finish the new fire system installation soon and aim to potentially get out to Streets of Willow in January, which would be my first track event since late 2018. I "just" need some new race tires and trailer tires too... merry xmas to me lol

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1670460046.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 17 2023, 08:41 AM
Post #337

I can't Re Member

....back again! This year has been kinda sucky so far and my 914 has still mostly been sitting in the garage; but, I did just get several major issues resolved (farmed out).

A few months ago the charging system went intermittent for a bit and then totally stopped charging. Turns out that wasn't the alternator as I suspected/feared but was a double-whammy of a failed LED inside the custom quad gauge, and then once that was fixed the old Bosch regulator died.

My right front brake caliper had a seal go out and leaked quite a bit, ruining the pads and rotor. So now I've got fresh rebuilt calipers w/ new rotors and pads up front. Rear brakes were fine.

And, the speedo drive on the trans had also failed.

Always more to do but the car is driving really well again and I think is finally ready to hit the track again. (Whether I'm ready is the bigger question.)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Sep 17 2023, 09:11 AM
Post #338

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 7 2022, 05:40 PM) *

Thanks @valcooscar - appreciate your help & parts!

Made it to Motor4Toys on Sunday - the car is running extremely well now but alas the engine will need to come apart again someday for an oil leak.

I need to finish the new fire system installation soon and aim to potentially get out to Streets of Willow in January, which would be my first track event since late 2018. I "just" need some new race tires and trailer tires too... merry xmas to me lol

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1670460046.1.jpg)

Quite a build. Such a nice job on the massaging of the fenders, the whole car so nicely sorted out, it’s like the one factory prototype 914-R that escaped the crusher. Have fun dude
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 17 2023, 12:38 PM
Post #339

I can't Re Member

Thanks! Been a bad summer for cars. Just had to rebuild the AC on my truck, the trans and rear brakes on my son's Land Cruiser, fix rodent damage and other crap on my 997, and now this!

Here's a film shot from last year's PCA ünStock show. I signed up my 997 this year as it's way too far to drive my 914...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-21-1694975907.1.jpg)914R at PCA ünStock Show 2022 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 17 2023, 07:16 PM
Post #340

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Man, Chris, I have always loved your car. Still do, still drooling on mahself when I see pics of it!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 15 16 17
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:10 PM