Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GB- Interior fiberglass for back pad Ends 8/1, $179 REDUCED a set + shipping ...6 sets left
Mikey914
post Jul 2 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #1

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

As you know I have the WAS top going now and I have the tooling for the substructure that I'm currently producing. I have been talking about having the substructure made in production quantities and have move my tooling over to an outside vendor to produce these parts much faster than I can.

Turns out he has the tooling for the back pads and is offering me the ability to produce the parts at a great price. I figured that I'd pass it along. These parts will be available in 2 weeks and I'm making a custom box to ship that will add $8 to the shipping cost (actual).

Anyone interested?

PRODUCT IS IN!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 2 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Sweeeeeet.
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Jul 3 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

Great idea!!
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Jul 3 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

yeah buddy!! That is awesome!
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 3 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #5

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

is this the same that james is selling from 914ap?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 3 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #6

The rubber man

QUOTE(messix @ Jul 3 2011, 12:23 PM) *

is this the same that james is selling from 914ap?

Yes, I decided to have him make my substructure using my molds as he's making some great stuff for us already. I can't make all the parts myself so I'd rather support the guys that support us. He mentioned that he wanted to get these rolling and offer to sell me 10 for a group buy so I committed.

His retail is $250 for this part and I will retail at the same price after the group buy. I will be stocking more parts of his as this will also help him to not have shipping shortages.

I will not be undercutting his prices, and he has authorized this group buy. I'll be handling the packaging and shipping.
+Quote Post
Mike Knox
post Jul 3 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #7

MikeTuba

Member No.: 1,258

I really like this. My backpad is pretty fragile, it would be nice to replace it.

Count me in.

Mike Knox
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jul 3 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #8

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

I think its a cool idea!! So how does it work? Do you use your old vinyl material...my vinyl isn't in too bad of shape but the actual padding or cushioning inside is coming apart and there is stuff coming out everywhere near the floor and would like to clean it up a bit...plus the hooks on the rear that clip to the fire wall (engine wall) are broken are mine so it just sits loose in there.....do you think its a big job to convert to this?

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 4 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #9

The rubber man

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jul 3 2011, 08:43 PM) *

I think its a cool idea!! So how does it work? Do you use your old vinyl material...my vinyl isn't in too bad of shape but the actual padding or cushioning inside is coming apart and there is stuff coming out everywhere near the floor and would like to clean it up a bit...plus the hooks on the rear that clip to the fire wall (engine wall) are broken are mine so it just sits loose in there.....do you think its a big job to convert to this?

Given that the cardboard is the biggest problem, I plan to try to peel the edges up and glue the old vinyl onto the new backing. I'll be transplanting the hardware over. I haven't done this yet as i don't have it in and, but I'll post when I get them in.

I figure that I'll keep the group buy on for about 2 weeks. July 20th.
+Quote Post
Rob914
post Jul 4 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 541

I am interested. Do you know the shipping cost to Zip Code 60046?

Rob
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jul 4 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #11

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Does it come with those clips or tabs that fit into the firewall like the original? Mine have broken off on my car and it just sits in there and is held up by the passenger seat.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 5 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #12

The rubber man

QUOTE(Rob914 @ Jul 4 2011, 06:22 PM) *

Rob

The actual weight puts it at about $22 (+the box), I will not have the dimmensional weight until I have a set in hand and can have the boxes made. The key is to pack them as well as possible without having too big of a box, I can answer the question as soon as the boxes are done.

Sorry I can't be more accurate, but I don't have those dimmensions yet.

It is just the fiberglass and doesn't have clips with it. I plan to reuse my old clips. Thay could be made if there is enough interest.
-mark
+Quote Post
Rex-n-effect
post Jul 5 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,659

Mark,
I need one of those. Count me in.

Rex
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 5 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

How will you prevent moisture from collecting betwee this F/G backpad and the firewall?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 5 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #15

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

With all the fuss of putting aftermarket seats into a 914 because they wont fit a stock backpad.....have you (both of you) considered a decent looking solution that uses maybe a 944/boxster seat (or miate) that fits into a new backpad shell?

Rich
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 8 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #16

The rubber man

Actually we haven't yet. I'm going to leave that up to James to decide. I will be stocking some of his products to help with turn around times, and add to my product line.

I have 6 left and have been able to work out a deal to reduce the cost to $179.

James is also looking at a vinyl kit to go with this. You will still need to add the foam and fasteners, but as a DYI kit it will save some cash.

Boxes will be in next week. and shipping USPS priority mail would be about $20, or less.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
morph
post Jul 8 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #17

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389

i have modified a backpad to fit custom seats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 8 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #18

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Oh great! Now James and Mark are working together to threaten my retirement... I'm in. Give me details when you have them... Mine is a late model if that makes a difference.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 9 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #19

The rubber man

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 4 2011, 11:21 PM) *

Rob

The actual weight puts it at about $22 (+the box), I will not have the dimmensional weight until I have a set in hand and can have the boxes made. The key is to pack them as well as possible without having too big of a box, I can answer the question as soon as the boxes are done.

It is just the fiberglass and doesn't have clips with it. I plan to reuse my old clips. Thay could be made if there is enough interest.
-mark

I have found some non custom boxes that are only $5

Dimensional weight puts the cost for Fedex home delivery (insured at $200) at $30.04+$5+$179=$214.04

USPS Parcel Post insured run $22.52 parcel post. Insurance (recommended) adds $2.85 for $200. The total shipping is $30.07. Priority mail is showing $43 and some change off the USPS website with dimensions entered.
Total is $179+30.07 = $209.07.

Kind of gives you an idea of where the costs and options are. Honestly, if it were me I would do the Fedex as I trust them more.

Elliot- I didn't realize there was a moisture problem here, but my thought is that without the cardboard any moisture on the back side would wind up on the floor. If this was a concern you could add a thin material to the back side that would do that.

http://www2.dupont.com/Energy_Solutions/en...ing%20_Info.pdf

In my opinion overkill, but there are several other types of material you could use if this is an issue. I have not noticed this on my car before, but is this a function of not having a "mat" on the firewall side and the tar liner on the inside?

Rob-
Come on, you know you'll never retire, just stear into the skid.

For all -
I'm getting a first "DIY kit" from James to do my back pad next week. I will have some pictures, but doubt I'll be able to get it dome before I have to go back to the day job at the end of the week. I'll have pricing on this too next week.

-Mark

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 9 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #20

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 9 2011, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 4 2011, 11:21 PM) *

Rob

-mark

I have found some non custom boxes that are only $5

Dimensional weight puts the cost for Fedex home delivery (insured at $200) at $30.04+$5+$179=$214.04

USPS Parcel Post insured run $22.52 parcel post. Insurance (recommended) adds $2.85 for $200. The total shipping is $30.07. Priority mail is showing $43 and some change off the USPS website with dimensions entered.
Total is $179+30.07 = $209.07.

Kind of gives you an idea of where the costs and options are. Honestly, if it were me I would do the Fedex as I trust them more.

Elliot- I didn't realize there was a moisture problem here, but my thought is that without the cardboard any moisture on the back side would wind up on the floor. If this was a concern you could add a thin material to the back side that would do that.

http://www2.dupont.com/Energy_Solutions/en...ing%20_Info.pdf

In my opinion overkill, but there are several other types of material you could use if this is an issue. I have not noticed this on my car before, but is this a function of not having a "mat" on the firewall side and the tar liner on the inside?

Rob-
Come on, you know you'll never retire, just stear into the skid.

For all -
I'm getting a first "DIY kit" from James to do my back pad next week. I will have some pictures, but doubt I'll be able to get it dome before I have to go back to the day job at the end of the week. I'll have pricing on this too next week.

-Mark

I was "steering into the skid" all day today. I took Nicho along for every lap and he is sound asleep right now with a permanent grin! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 04:42 PM